Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where's Almo?  (Read 12206 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Where's Almo?
« on: February 13, 2017, 04:52:48 PM »

So, what’s up with Almo? No blogs I have seen, no activism, no comments about expanding salmon farming in Washington State, nothing … since September 2016. 
Perhaps she has seen the writing on the wall wrt to salmon farming?  Her voyage with Pam was not what she expected?

Chris, FWR readers need to know and you follow her endeavors religiously … so wasup?

banx

Re: Where's Almo?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 05:38:36 AM »

hopefully she's takinig a nice vacation on bob's dime.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 04:30:18 PM »

Well, I doubt Bob is footing the bill if she is indeed on vacation – more likely her mother, Barbara Hubbard.   Google her … a very interesting lady.

Seriously, I hope she is well.  I don’t Instagram, Twitter or do Facebook so it’s very possible I have missed her latest postings; just know her blog is old and that is not the Almo I have come to know on line.
Chris, I believe, gets all her stuff and has not responded to this request for information … perhaps she has had enough?  Possibly a court order requesting media silence until a verdict has been reached in her latest court case? 

Gotta say I miss her ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 12:13:02 PM »

Back in action which will make you happy Dave, lots of reading for you all.  Make sure you read the link too.

http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/alexandra_morton/2017/02/mystery-solved-this-farm-salmon-disease-is-in-bc.html

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 03:22:07 PM »

LOL!! typical Almo ... third paragraph in she's asking for money .. here's another opportunity for you to contribute Chris ;)

I found it curious that she thinks the salmon farming industry will try to downplay this find when in the acknowledgements, … We thank the BC Salmon Farmers Association, Cermaq and Marine Harvest for providing longitudinal farm samples to our program, industry veterinarians Barry Milligan and Diane Morrison for farm mortality and environmental data, and farm technicians for aiding in the sampling process on the farms.

When there are further studies linking this to wild Pacific salmon mortalities is when I will pay attention.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 04:11:27 PM »

We are back at the Superstore tomorrow afternoon, hope you stop in and join in your favorite song. We have a donation plate for you to drop in some funds for us too. ;D ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 04:34:16 PM »

::)

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 09:49:22 PM »

We are back at the Superstore tomorrow afternoon, hope you stop in and join in your favorite song. We have a donation plate for you to drop in some funds for us too. ;D ;D
Welcome back Chris. I was getting worried. :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 07:39:31 AM »

Welcome back Chris. I was getting worried. :)
Thanks for your concern, never know at my age of nearly 74, ouch.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 08:06:42 AM »

Re-posting for those that may have missed it, always good to hear Dave. https://youtu.be/jU-sGcZJwS0

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 02:09:00 PM »

Back in action which will make you happy Dave, lots of reading for you all.  Make sure you read the link too.

http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/alexandra_morton/2017/02/mystery-solved-this-farm-salmon-disease-is-in-bc.html

Lots of reading for all.......if one decides to actually read it which Morton either didn't or can't help but throw in her own false narrative.

Could the piscine reovirus be harmful in one ocean, and harmless in another as was commonly believed? The answer is no. - Alexandra Morton

The authors stated: "Our farm level study was not designed to investigate causal relationships between any agent and histopathological lesions." (Pg. 24)

The authors also reiterated, to date, that no causal relationship between PRV and HSMI has been established. (Pg. 23)

The paper reports that piscine reovirus infects the red blood cells of fish, where it lies in wait for the fish to experience some kind of stress, such as sea lice, handling, disease, warm water etc. at which point it is released and damages the salmon's heart and the muscles the run the length of the fish that are required to swim.  This means that every time farm salmon are deloused, the stress of that can cause an outbreak where billions of viral particles will explode into the surrounding waters.  What does this mean for wild salmon?  Double jeopardy - lice then infection. - Alexandra Morton

Another twists of the facts by Morton. The authors never reported this. I challenge farm critics to find anywhere in the report where it is demonstrated that PRV "lies in wait", then following stress is "released and does the damage Morton claims. Again, the authors never designed their study to find a causal relationship so how can Morton conclude this? It's my opinion that Morton took a section of pg 24 and either misinterpreted it or does what she normally does which is to twist it so it fits her narrative. The authors were saying "If PRV were to have a role in the development of HSMI" - not that they concluded that it did. She probably believes in the Bowling Green Massacre also. She totally exaggerates the movement of viral particles as some explosive event yet no causal relationship between PRV or HSMI has been established.

What the study does point towards is that stressful events tend coincide with the development of HSMI, but not we know that PRV causes HSMI and this is how it does it.

There is a lot of other things the authors say which Morton doesn't mention.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 02:28:02 PM »

C'mon Steve, Almo's been away for nearly six months ... a little bit rusty, lol!
Even the die hard ff haters on other forums are staying relatively quiet on this as they know right now there are no links to mortalities in Pacific salmon.
Carry on Almo ... you are a joy to read.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 04:32:47 PM »

Well some of those ff haters on the other forums have repeated the same old talking points closely emulating Morton. It's unfortunate but not surprising. At least the study has been made public so people can read it for themselves; however, some will hang to every word Morton says on this and not take the time to read it.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 01:00:32 PM »

Another great day on the front lines. ;D ;D ;D
https://youtu.be/yhfy08l0Z_I

GordJ

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 02:36:33 PM »

It would be nice if the words to the song were close captioned so we could understand the concept behind the protest. That would make it a lot more interesting and more likely that one would get to the end of the video without falling asleep. I got about half way through and hit the Back button.