Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where's Almo?  (Read 12292 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Where's Almo?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 03:11:39 PM »

You would think after all these protests at stores selling farmed Atlantic's, with no apparent impact on sales (according to the local Superstore and Walmart managers I have talked to), Eddie and his entourage would have changed tactics.   And tunes ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 03:31:33 PM »

It would be nice if the words to the song were close captioned so we could understand the concept behind the protest. That would make it a lot more interesting and more likely that one would get to the end of the video without falling asleep. I got about half way through and hit the Back button.
Thanks for watching some of it anyway. :P

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 03:32:51 PM »

You would think after all these protests at stores selling farmed Atlantic's, with no apparent impact on sales (according to the local Superstore and Walmart managers I have talked to), Eddie and his entourage would have changed tactics.   And tunes ;D
Most likely just giving you False news. ;D ;D ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 03:54:08 PM »

Ah, still in denial :o  Carry on as I know you will ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 03:59:40 PM »

Ah, still in denial :o  Carry on as I know you will ;)
Of course, it is always a struggle dealing with some governments and agencies as they have made many mistakes in the past dealing with environmental issues as the put money ahead of science.

Look south of the border and they now are going to allow coal tailing to be dumped into waterways I have heard. ::)

GordJ

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 06:21:38 PM »

Thanks for watching some of it anyway. :P
So what tribe gave you the song? Is it an actual native song or are the drums and regalia just marketing? The reason I am asking is because a lot of the singers didn't appear to be native.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 09:25:46 PM »

Of course, it is always a struggle dealing with some governments and agencies as they have made many mistakes in the past dealing with environmental issues as the put money ahead of science.

Look south of the border and they now are going to allow coal tailing to be dumped into waterways I have heard. ::)

It's a struggle listening to some high profile anti-fish farm activists who can't read and continuously misrepresents science. But yes, that executive order south of the border to eliminate those regulations was disappointing. I'm afraid it will get worse as the new head of the EPA is a climate change denier.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2017, 07:29:33 PM »

https://www.biv.com/article/2017/2/dfo-study-links-virus-heart-disease-farmed-fish/

PSF was sharing this on their Facebook page, but of course it's all just propaganda perpetrated by a "very rich and powerful" woman in Sointula with an agenda so it must be completely false and unfounded.  The attacks on this woman are absurd. It's shows how she alone is a powerhouse and has put this issue at the forefront.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2017, 08:45:51 PM »

No, there is propaganda here, just the beginning of research into the relationships between wild and farmed salmon.
You are obviously on one side of this issue ... I suggest we all wait for further research on this; as of now there is no correlation to Pacific salmon mortalities, unless you can find one in this publication  ::)

Just an aside, why do you think "she is a powerhouse"?  and why do think she is shunned by most people knowledgeable in these issues? 
No, I don't mean us internet experts, I mean real fishery scientists ... trust me, you would have a hard time finding one that would back the majority of her claims.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2017, 12:13:26 AM »

https://www.biv.com/article/2017/2/dfo-study-links-virus-heart-disease-farmed-fish/

PSF was sharing this on their Facebook page, but of course it's all just propaganda perpetrated by a "very rich and powerful" woman in Sointula with an agenda so it must be completely false and unfounded.  The attacks on this woman are absurd. It's shows how she alone is a powerhouse and has put this issue at the forefront.

Attacks? So when she says something that isn't true and it's clearly pointed out as not being true then that is considered an attack? Sounds like how Trump surrogates behave when Trump's alternative facts are reported. The things that Morton said in my previous post are not true. It's not a hard exercise to go to the study to see where she deviates from the actual findings.

Have you read the study? What I'm quickly finding out is that many fish farm opponents have not read the study because when I read their posts their analysis does match up. If you feel that I have been unfair to her with her take on this study then feel free to show me how she come to those conclusions on PRV. Show me how the study has determined conclusively how PRV causes HSMI?  Do you know the difference between speculation or hypothesis and fact?

She alone is a powerhouse? The real powerhouse are those UBC and Carlton grad students and DFO scientists that are conducting real science on this - not taking pictures off of a sailboat and blogging about her interactions, interpretations and speculation. If you had read the study you would have seen that going by clinical signs or increased mortality are not reliable indicators of an outbreak. So, Morton's observations on her sail boat trip last year were not reliable indicators of a disease outbreak or indicative of a specific disease. There's a little more to it and as the authors pointed out at the end it can be easily missed. Read page 25. This study had the luxury of following this one particular farm closely, gathering larger sample sizes (fish at various stages of condition) and were able to pick this up because the sampling was much more intensive over a long period of time. In addition, the technology to screen for these viruses is so much more advanced now then it was 10 years ago. Scientists like Miller can test many more fish samples over many different pathogens at one time.

The powerhouse is also those DFO technicians and biologists that collaborate with university academics to get this work done - working in all weather conditions and late at night.  In reality, Morton is an outsider to this real science. She may get her name on the odd report lately to make it appear she is involved,  but she is no where involved with the Strategic Fish Health Initiative or any of the current NSERC research being conducted by UBC and Carlton.....and that is a good thing.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2017, 05:31:39 PM »

This will certainly bring out some comments, I know Dave had missed Don too.https://youtu.be/MtRUsR_8hk0

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2017, 09:38:19 AM »

We were back in action last night, filmed this for David. ;D https://youtu.be/F8VgvXB98Us

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2017, 03:04:25 PM »

We were back in action last night, filmed this for David. ;D https://youtu.be/F8VgvXB98Us

And what action it appeared to be ... thanks for thinking of me ::)

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2017, 06:08:02 PM »

Chris, first read the report as it's obvious you haven't done that; we all wonder why you don't read and educate yourself about the stuff you diss before you post???  Then, start at the beginning of this thread and read what was said by Shuswap.

After you've taken all that in, take your meds, and go have a nap.