Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: claims of secret fishing holes on the Vedder  (Read 13741 times)

bigblue

• Old Timer
Re: claims of secret fishing holes on the Vedder
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2016, 09:16:45 PM »

There are totally secret spots.... But they develop and dissolve constantly  with changing water Heights and every year the river changes from slightly to a lot....

Well said!
For example, several years ago there was a spot at Thurston Meadows on top of a huge log sticking out of the bush right on top of the river. At certain river height, I always hooked a steal head from that log for a whole season. However, the log disappeared next season, and the honey hole was gone. As doja said so well, these secret spots comes and goes and we need to search for them constantly.

doja

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2016, 11:09:50 PM »

Well said!
For example, several years ago there was a spot at Thurston Meadows on top of a huge log sticking out of the bush right on top of the river. At certain river height, I always hooked a steal head from that log for a whole season. However, the log disappeared next season, and the honey hole was gone. As doja said so well, these secret spots comes and goes and we need to search for them constantly.

I landed my first steelhead there about 10 years ago!!!  A brute of almost 20 pounds (wild) and I had to run off the bottom little gravel Island into the water (got wet)  to get the bank to run about 100m down River to land it. Next day landed another just as some guys came upon my "secret"  spot, lol, and totally made their day too ad they had not seen a steelhead yet.

Ive also had runs very close to the road and nobody ever knew it as it was a crappy spot forever....  Well not that year and I was quite sad to not see it there next year...

Seahawk

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2016, 07:38:25 PM »

"Secret spots on the vedder" ahahahha

The Vedder is the epitome of a factory river. Its pretty much the Wal-Mart of rivers. Its easily my favourite to fish because of the ease of access. Ive hit everyspot from the very top to the very bottom. Some awesome stretches of water :) 

The only thing I do not like is ,when compared to other streams,  the Steelhead tend to be tightlipped due to the thousands and thousands of "presentations" they get assaulted with over and over and over again.

The Wal-Mart reference is an absolutely perfect description of the Vedder River.  Well said

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2016, 07:19:45 PM »

Well there maybe something to this because I posted a detailed fishing report in the fishing reports section (2 years ago) and the complaints by some of the members (for "outing" a spot LOL) forced Rod to remove my entire report (Gravel pit fishing location). Poof. Totally erased.

This sort of reinforces that some people here on FWR really believe in the secret spots garbage. Go figure. I wish they would have at least shown some integrity and contacted me first about their concerns rather then pestering Rod about it. The guy is busy enough to also hold the hands of some trembling regulars.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 07:24:59 PM by dennisK »

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2016, 09:25:02 AM »

There are absolutely "secret" spots.

You guys, secrets aren't necessarily something no one else knows about... a secret can be something you don't SHARE. If you share it, it's no longer your secret. :)

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2016, 09:32:24 AM »

Well there maybe something to this because I posted a detailed fishing report in the fishing reports section (2 years ago) and the complaints by some of the members (for "outing" a spot LOL) forced Rod to remove my entire report (Gravel pit fishing location). Poof. Totally erased.

This sort of reinforces that some people here on FWR really believe in the secret spots garbage. Go figure. I wish they would have at least shown some integrity and contacted me first about their concerns rather then pestering Rod about it. The guy is busy enough to also hold the hands of some trembling regulars.

[/quote]

While I wasn't one of the ones complaining about it, it seemed rather odd to me that after your detailed map and directions on how to access that spot, the number of anglers increased from an average of 6 or 7 to over 25.  That post that you made was done in spite and no one has any time for that including me.  It was a very small spot and a gem to fish.  Not a secret for sure because many people walked by while we were fishing it but many overlooked it because it didn't seem like a spot that would hold fish.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 09:44:29 AM by Stratocaster »

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2016, 10:09:19 AM »

Don't bother stratocaster, he has been a troller here playing dumb for years.

Silver

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2016, 04:33:09 PM »

Stratocaster LOL! So true!!!

Don't ever talk fishing here...taboo!

But if your interested in say...Cigars, Tires, etc, No problem!

How about a poll? Peanut butter?

Chunky or smooth.

doja

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2016, 05:32:41 PM »

^^^ neither,  to many fungicides, lol

sbc hris

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2016, 10:00:01 PM »

^^^ neither,  to many fungicides, lol

How about organic smooth??

Tylsie

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2016, 11:03:12 PM »

Smooth! With Raspberry Jam

Now that that is settled lets get back to the original question! No, there are no secret spots, there are just new holes every year and holes that always produce year to year! The ones that always produce get hit the hardest because most fishermen don't have time to scout the entire river every year to find the new holes.

I don't know what hole was discussed in the deleted thread but if it could support 25+ fishers it was not that small. Should it of been mentioned on a public forum, I personally don't see the problem with it. We went from calling the C/V Walmart to saying the meat section was employees only!

doja

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2016, 01:13:35 AM »

How about organic smooth??

Humm,  moldy peanut butter.... Lol

banx

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2016, 05:56:08 AM »

I bought the new planters peanut butter.  It's pretty good, I like it better than kraft or jiffy.  But it's definitely not as good as that adams stuff.

there were probably secrets on the vedder at some point in time.  decades ago possibly

doja

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2016, 06:18:14 AM »

K....  I've been drinking all night and doing blow...  I'm going to tell a secret.

At the end of Osbourne road there's a great stretch of water! The residents are also really cool and let you fish there especially the corner house.... But the secret is you must knock on his door and ask him or he gets pissy.

Cheers!

....  Forgot to add....  Nutella
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 09:28:08 AM by doja »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2016, 09:56:31 AM »

The real secret about secret spots is of course a secret. That has a allergic reaction to PB.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?