Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal and Non-Tidal Fraser River Closes to Salmon Fishing August 11, 2016  (Read 78771 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Rod - what is the specific 20km of river the FRSA is proposing for closure?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

DanL

• Old Timer

Didnt the DFO state in other communications that they have essentially no authority to impose limitations on fishing methods and gear restrictions? It would then follow to wonder if they have the authority to close specific sections, and what landmarks would even define such sections?

clarki

• Old Timer

I like the wording of "request", rather than the "demand" verbage of the earlier letter, and I appreciate the proposed compromise of the spot closure. Nice work, fellas.       

TNAngler

Didnt the DFO state in other communications that they have essentially no authority to impose limitations on fishing methods and gear restrictions? It would then follow to wonder if they have the authority to close specific sections, and what landmarks would even define such sections?

I don't know about small areas but in looking at notices released going back a number of years, there was a time I think in 2011 (around the end of September) where they closed down a section of the Fraser because of coho till I think the end of the year.

tworivers

Spot closures may reduce the overall volume of anglers participating in this method of fishing, but many will just go and search out new water to continue their practice of non-selective fishing in areas of non closure.
Such a closure will only lead to new trails being blazed, and Grandpa's machete will once again be un-sheathed. >:(

typhoon

• Old Timer

Spot closures are nonsense. They won't stop BB-ing. They just makes it less effective. It will still be more massively easier than bar fishing.

TheLostSockeye

Spot closures are nonsense. They won't stop BB-ing. They just makes it less effective. It will still be more massively easier than bar fishing.

I also disagree with spot closures. I like to bar fish near popular BB spots so this would affect me.

hrenya

I also disagree with spot closures. I like to bar fish near popular BB spots so this would affect me.
I do like spot closures , cuz u can`t bb in tidal and current conditions affect me .

swimmingwiththefishes

The rec sector needs to be working with FN on issues we can mostly agree on. Fish farming and seal management could be a good start...and if we ever had any doubts see what footage Alex Morton got with 10 minutes on a pen...I ain't no biologist but one look at those farm fish and it isn't hard to tell that they are f...d up...lots of issues for wild fish but this can't be ignored and our sector should be pushing much harder to stop it...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gnzqvfpvc7A

armytruck

• Old Timer

Nonsense ? , I think your speaking nonsense . I believe the masses of flossers will give it up , however there will be a few bad apples out . Some will be tying their 5 foot leaders for the fall fishery .....................I'm all for spot closures . Not my first picnic as they say .Or second , on the Fraser .
Remember way back when, DFO requested to stay off Spaghetti bar ? . Started an anchoring frenzy there lol .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

typhoon

• Old Timer

Nonsense ? , I think your speaking nonsense . I believe the masses of flossers will give it up , however there will be a few bad apples out . Some will be tying their 5 foot leaders for the fall fishery .....................I'm all for spot closures . Not my first picnic as they say .Or second , on the Fraser .
Remember way back when, DFO requested to stay off Spaghetti bar ? . Started an anchoring frenzy there lol .
Nonsense right back at ya. Snagging is illegal, enforce the existing laws.

skaha

• Old Timer

--Why doesn't the guide quota come out of a commercial rather than out of a recreational fishing quota... or at the least be added supernumery to the recreational quota.

hrenya

Nonsense right back at ya. Snagging is illegal, enforce the existing laws.
agree , let`s start with artificial baits such as yarn :) lets make bait fishing only ... or gear like spoons/spinners ....

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

?  What's wrong with wool?