Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River protest fishery on August 1st 2016  (Read 22755 times)

bcguy

Re: Fraser River protest fishery on August 1st 2016
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2016, 09:50:31 AM »

Sportfishers do not have the "right" to fish, we have the privilege, First Nations have the constitutional right.

Yeah yeah, how could they get by without selling fish on Craigslist?
And since when did business interests trump a citizens interest? the whole thing absolutely reek...period.
Poor poor Pattison, how will he get by if recreational fishermen take a few hundred or few thousand fish.

All things should be equal, and that's the crux that pisses most of us off, are we all not citizens of the great nation?, since when is it OK for one segment of our society to have more rights to anything over another, regardless of race, colour of skin, religion or sexuality..isn't that's what keeps getting rammed down our throats right now?
Why should one resource be different over another?
Stand up now or bow later.
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

TNAngler

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2016, 10:10:10 AM »

What cracks me up is that people are moaning about not getting their fair share instead of realizing the whole system is broken.  People are fighting over the crumbs instead of realizing that there used to be plenty for everybody.  Oh, sure, everybody sees that and blames it on the respective boogie man, farm fishing, seals, global warming, logging, fishing, etc.  Instead of working together to figure out solutions or other possible reasons, more effort is put into claiming more crumbs for certain groups.  Those boogie men are distant and there isn't much any one person can do to change those.

Maybe each of those boogie men are the cause all together, maybe there are other things.  If people were adults and thinking about the future, there would be numerous study groups set up encompassing FN, sports and commercial fishing, scientists, gov't officials, businesses, including counterparts from the states, etc.  Oh, what, there was one recently?  There should be multiple groups meeting.  The goal shouldn't be how are we going to divvy up the crumbs left but how are we going to rebuild populations so that 10, 15, 100, 500 years from now our rivers are teeming with salmon.  I applaud the efforts of some on this board of going up and counting spawners and if the numbers are down, figuring out why and fixing it.  Or the effort of cleaning up the habitat because people are absolutely disgusting and refuse to treat the land with respect.  I'd like to see a group set up bigger than anything previous that focuses on spawning habitat all the way up and down the Fraser.  Find places that used to be packed with fish and find out why they aren't anymore.  Have another that focuses on main river issues, poaching, obstacles, insufficient or too much water flow, etc.  Have another that focuses on ocean obstacles, commercial fishing, seals, orcas, deep sea fishing and definitely includes Alaska and Washington voices and maybe some Asian countries on the deep sea nets.  Each of these groups meet, discuss, find ways to improve things.  Each comes back with a proposal of 3-5 things that can be done now to help.  Then you do those things.  Turn this crap around and get it going in the right direction instead of thinking about right now and what you can get.

For a protest fishery, the thought is there are plenty of fish and we want our share.  Yet, I don't see how anybody can say there are plenty of fish and we just aren't getting our share.  If there were plenty of fish, we wouldn't be worrying about this because everybody's share would be big enough (except for those that just can't get enough of course).  Why would you hurt the very thing you are trying to save?  Except this isn't about saving the salmon for future generations, this is give me what I deserve now because I am not getting enough.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2016, 10:21:00 AM »

Yeah yeah, how could they get by without selling fish on Craigslist?
And since when did business interests trump a citizens interest? the whole thing absolutely reek...period.
Poor poor Pattison, how will he get by if recreational fishermen take a few hundred or few thousand fish.

All things should be equal, and that's the crux that pisses most of us off, are we all not citizens of the great nation?, since when is it OK for one segment of our society to have more rights to anything over another, regardless of race, colour of skin, religion or sexuality..isn't that's what keeps getting rammed down our throats right now?
Why should one resource be different over another?
Stand up now or bow later.
Cracking down on the illegal sale of salmon will help. Treat the buyers like johns - forfeit their vehicle.

You should have stood up 30 years ago when the Sparrow decision occurred.
Life is not equal or fair. The roots of this unfairness were sprouted hundreds of years ago. Wishing for the world to be different will only frustrate you.

typhoon

• Old Timer

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2016, 07:16:48 PM »

I guess people missed my point back a page or 2 ago - there is no commercial fishery for chinook or coho in the Fraser or in the South Coast Inside waters. Prove me wrong. Yet people keep bringing this stuff up about Pattison etc.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Tangles

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2016, 09:38:37 PM »

(Not trying to justify it but) since when fishing in a closed area gets you a criminal record? :o

losos

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2016, 10:03:10 PM »

What? Lobby your MP to change it? Should I also believe in Santa now?
Apparently someone still believes in Santa or Jean Chretien keeping his promise that GST is only temporary.

glog

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2016, 08:14:24 AM »

Its still a biased fishery, selective methods are to be used, yet how selective is a net.  Nets should be banned from the Fraser and the fish supply problem would be solved. Simple and effective, FN would not have limits imposed for using selective methods but drift netting the Fraser is NOT SELECTIVE.  BAN THE NETS.

TNAngler

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2016, 08:45:00 AM »

Depending on the net mesh it can be fairly select actually.  I hate nets in the river as much as anybody but if you are using the larger Chinook mesh size, sockeye are not going to be caught except rarely.

Witth nets in the river, a couple FN bad eggs "accidentally" using the smaller mesh and catching sockeye is a concern.  Like most fishing these days, monitoring and enforcement is extremely lacking.

mesmer25

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2016, 12:02:55 PM »

hmm... this protest fishery seems to be moot point, now that DFO opened fishing on the Fraser.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2016, 02:21:20 PM »

Now that the fishery is open on August 1st, we may never know the impact of the 'threat' of a protest fishery on the decision to open the fishery by DFO on the day of the intended protest. Perhaps DFO doesn't need more messy news of arrests of loads of recreational fishermen and the possible embarrassment of media coverage of their mismanagement of the fishery? Who knows. The politicians who control the openings don't need negative press to reach up to the high echelon of the government in Ottawa. If it is a matter of a few days to open it already in their plan, they may just move up the opening just to avoid this from becoming a bad news for them. We will probably never know because DFO will never say they cave in to the 'threat' from recreational fishermen, LOL.  ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2016, 02:32:43 PM »

Hoping selective fishing will take place. last year is was pretty good up to the Agassiz Rosedale Bridge but above there was some still to much TOWing going on by those that donot know or by those that just donot care. :-X ::) :o

dobrolub

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2016, 07:04:48 PM »

The final numbers are in for July. This graph summarizes Albion chinook catch for July 2016.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 07:20:46 PM by dobrolub »

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2016, 08:33:54 PM »

The final numbers are in for July. This graph summarizes Albion chinook catch for July 2016.

I dont follow this fishery all that closely. Was it kept closed in 2011/12/13 when the test fishery showed very low returns?

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2016, 08:53:01 PM »

--If the true intent is to bring attention to different management strategy then the protest fishery should still occur.
--Wear salmon coloured T-shirts or something.

--Show up with picket sign and don't fish on the 1st.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 10:54:54 PM by skaha »