Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River protest fishery on August 1st 2016  (Read 22780 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Fraser River protest fishery on August 1st 2016
« on: July 26, 2016, 03:22:19 PM »

From the Fraser River Sportfishing Alliance:

"The newly formed Fraser River SportFishing Alliance is demanding adequate notice for our planned August 1st chinook salmon opening. There is a strong indication that this opening may be delayed due to pressure from other sectors and demonstrates that recreational anglers come last in management decisions. The Alliance is committed to fishing August 1st, either legally for retention as planned or in protest.

The objective of August 1st is to demonstrate that the recreational community will no longer accept being treated as 2nd class citizens. In jeopardy is our current fishery, our fishing future and our children's heritage. Currently chinook salmon are being retained while recreational anglers are denied any opportunity to fish for salmon. This is not acceptable policy and it needs rectifying immediately.

All anglers must stand united to change this inequitable treatment in managing this fishery worth 100 million dollars annually. Our rights as Canadian citizens are being denied. We will continue to support conservation as required but only if shared by all users in a fair and equitable manner or the future of recreational fishing and the healthy runs of fish will be past history.

The Fraser River SportFishing Alliance demands transparency and accountability in management now. We are seeking your support to help change the injustice that continues to destroy the social and economic values of this resource. Please help by joining us August 1st to assist in sending a united voice that changes must take place now!"

Registration for the protest will now take place between 7:00am and Noon at Island 22 on August 1st. The alliance wants participants to register so catches can also be recorded and data can be presented to DFO later.

The above is FYI, what are your thoughts on the protest?

jessestmars

• BC Fishing Journal
Re: Fraser River protest fishery on August 1st 2016
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 04:10:30 PM »

I like the protest.

I like the registration and data collection point at the bottom. Not only is Fraser River Sportfishing Alliance getting their point across to DFO, they're also helping by providing extremely helpful data.

Additionally, I can't imagine trying to be a guide in this situation, how can you run a business not knowing whether the office will be open for appointments!?

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 05:33:07 PM »

I like the registration and data collection point at the bottom... they're also helping by providing extremely helpful data.

Yeah, like who to throw in jail.  :)

What are my thoughts on the protest, Rod asked?  I don't have an emotional connection to fishing the Fraser for chinook, nor do I have a business that is impacted. I'm just a recreational angler who will recreate elsewhere. No big deal. There are plenty of fish in the sea.   

I will add that most who protest will never understand the complexities of issues, that the protest is a thinly veiled effort to protect business interests, and the attached news release loses credibility with its' huffing and puffing of multiple demands and claiming that our rights as Canadian citizens are being denied.

As you can probably guess, I won't be at the protest on Aug 1.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 06:03:44 PM »

There is a strong indication that this opening may be delayed ...and demonstrates that recreational anglers come last in management decisions.

Yeah and what else is new? This is actually how the law requires such decisions be made.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 06:22:51 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

hrenya

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 06:07:12 PM »

I totally agree with Clarki
I`ve been fishing for almost 3 years now , and every year is getting worse and worse .
I met few people on this forum and they introduced me to another types of fishing , so it doesn`t really bothers me .

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 06:49:28 PM »

It bothers me. Even if I dont even want to fish for them at this time. Its not about that. Its about having your right to fish when other groups are being allowed. Why are sport fishermen not allowed when we dont even make a small dent in the total numbers of fish being retained? I could understand this IF sport fishermen made a significant impact on the fishery but they dont.

I am so busy with other things in my life that I wont be able to attend this but if I didnt have prior commitments I would be attending.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Tylsie

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 07:57:42 PM »

Yeah and what else is new? This is actually how the law requires such decisions be made.

I am curious as my understanding of the law is different. I was always taught it went Conservation - First Nation Food/Social/Ceremonial - Sport Fishing - Commercial (including First Nation as it is and fish must be kept separate from any F/S/C catch). When did this change or have I been misinformed for years by the DFO, schools, and the such?

To all those who oppose it because they do not fish the Fraser when you will take a stand. The Seabird, Kwantlen, and Katzie Nations have already launched a lawsuit to end sportfishing for Chinook in the Marine zone (Vancouver Island East) because fish being caught are headed for the Fraser. Is not being able to fish in the Straight enough to make you protest? What is?

I fully understand and agree with not supporting the protest because you believe that no one should be fishing the Early Chinook or something. But to not support it because it doesn't directly affect you I cannot, nor will I ever, understand. One day it will be your river or lake in question, and there will be no one to support you. (For the Record, I don't fish the Fraser for Chinook but know lots that do and I fully support them)

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 08:42:35 PM »

I think clarki makes good points

Looks like nothing more than "I better get my share" to me.

Not my way of looking at life personally~

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 02:44:40 AM »

"It doesn't affect me,,i don't fish the Fraser"....your rights are being challenged to fish people. First nations will not stop on the Fraser, they have made it perfectly clear that they believe they alone should have controlling rights to fish. This has included lakes as well, and also the Ocean. Sit back and let the few anglers who see this fight the fight, don't worry, your voice doesn't matter.. let DFO be controlled by first nations.. it will NEVER AFFECT your choice of angling will it?? That's because you fish some where besides a lake or river or the ocean right?  Head shaking.... fight now or forever hold your piece

salmonlander

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 07:24:26 AM »

Well said Tylsie and Cammer, some just dont get it!  See you Monday.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 07:27:26 AM »

I don't get it.
Tylsie said it - after conservation First Nations have first access to fish, guaranteed by parliament. It is not a DFO decision.
No fish = no fishing for guides. How will a protest fishery change this?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 08:07:24 AM »

I am curious as my understanding of the law is different. ...

Taught by who? The priorities set out by the Supreme Court of Canada in the Sparrow decision was - Conservation requirements - 1st nations Rights - Commercial fisheries - Sport Fishing.

FOC/DFO has actually favored Sport fishing over Commercial fisheries in the Fraser. 1st Nations groups have argued that tide water Sport fisheries that are allowed in certain areas when the Fraser itself is closed put Sport Fishing ahead of all the other priorities specified in the Sparrow case.

Part of the issue is the Sport Fishing Community is far more schizophrenic than the other 2 sectors & we have the FRSA talking at odds with the rest of the community because they want to fish regardless.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

fisherforever

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 08:20:14 AM »

Sportfishers do not have the "right" to fish, we have the privilege, First Nations have the constitutional right.

Apennock

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 08:24:30 AM »

The priorities set out by the Supreme Court of Canada in the Sparrow decision was - Conservation requirements - 1st nations Rights - Commercial fisheries - Sport Fishing.

THAT in itself is the problem.  If the goal is conservation, what purpose does it serve to impose the most harsh restrictions where they are least effective?  Stop all sport fishing and the effect on the salmon population will be minimal so this approach is counter productive to actual conservation efforts.  In addition, consider the economic effects of one fish from a sport fisherman; how much do you do you spend and pump into the economy to catch that one fish compared to how much a commercial fisherman spends PER FISH. 

The issue is that government bodies are restricting civilian fishing under the guise of conservation without ever actually accomplishing that goal.  Not only should fisherman be protesting this system of priority but conservationists should do.  It's ridiculous on paper, "If we want to affect the population we'd better start in the lease effective place".

It's like imposing a fireban to save the forests while allowing them to be clearcut.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 08:38:30 AM »

It's about time that recreational fishermen also get some representation as no one is looking out for their interest.