Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2016 Chilliwack River summer salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 34228 times)

Novabonker

• Old Timer

Was out this morning. Mid River - Landed and released a nice Sockeye caught on a small piece of Roe. Threw on a single bead and the steelhead smolts and rainbows awere hammering it. Left @ 12:30. Not many people out but I saw no Reds taken. The water in the Upper is perfect with that slight green color to it.

Is it just me or does that rock by the anal fin look like a seal with a cool hairdo? :o
http://

dobrolub

Conditions are perfect at the Veder but very few fish showing. I heard of one today, saw two rolling, one very coloured up. I've fished quite a few spots today below the crossing. Too early I guess.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer

Really solid push of fish early in the week. Lots of sockeye pushing through with a handful of chinooks, was lucky enough to tag one. Nice to see early on.
Went out again Saturday and the runs that held fish held nothing, no rollers either. Found one run stacked with sockeye but other than that, nothing in the other 10 or so holes we checked.
Bit of a hit and miss for now but should start to get better as we go on. Water was prime IMO.

jackie

Took my first trip to the vedder this weekend on Saturday and fished from first light until 1. Our group fished from Keith Wilson to train bridge and found a small run filled moving and rolling fish. Managed 12 sockeye and a  small spring between us all on prawn. Went out to the same run on Sunday and it was empty of fish. Super hit and miss fishery at the moment, covering water quickly seems to be the key.

bobby b

Was out yesterday, landed one Sockeye doe.... released it. This was my first ever Sockeye... sure is a good fighting fish. It just hammered my roe, I was using roe as I was targeting Springs. 

Hooked a few trout and also got into another big fish....dont know what it was as it shook the hook.
All in all, was a good day of fishing. Not as many folks out as I would have thought. Although I fished mostly mid to upper.

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!

Was out yesterday, landed one Sockeye doe.... released it. This was my first ever Sockeye... sure is a good fighting fish. It just hammered my roe, I was using roe as I was targeting Springs. 

Hooked a few trout and also got into another big fish....dont know what it was as it shook the hook.
All in all, was a good day of fishing. Not as many folks out as I would have thought. Although I fished mostly mid to upper.

Nice! If the other fish that you hooked just stayed down and pulled...then you probably had a spring on. It's getting better everyday. My buddy went yesterday and landed a red. His first trip out.

Ambassador

Was out on Saturday with a few buddies and had pretty much no luck between us - other that one guy that kept getting into small trout on Crocs and Kohos. Was absolutely pouring when we left Vancouver at 4:30am, but was pretty nice by the time we hit the river. 
Saw nothing in the river at all - and we worked a number of spots pretty good from Allison Pools down to the bottom of the canal with roe, prawns, wool, flies, lures...

Agree with BCFisherman97 - the water was prime - and I've never seen the river so clean and trash-free. Was a pleasant surprise from my past couple trips out there. No fish - but a great day exploring a true gem.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

fishbuster

Out this morning.  No springs seen or heard of.  Lots of smolts, 1 pike minnow.  Lots of sockeye pushing through the lower.  Nice morning on the river.

SilverChaser

Lost one sock this morning. Quite a few chromers in the system. Good to see (what appears to be) a large number of sockeye in the system already; maybe this boasts for a good return this year and increases the population in the years to come. No springers for me. Make sure to handle the socks with care  :)
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

CohoJake

• Old Timer

Lost one sock this morning. Quite a few chromers in the system. Good to see (what appears to be) a large number of sockeye in the system already; maybe this boasts for a good return this year and increases the population in the years to come. No springers for me. Make sure to handle the socks with care  :)

Wasn't it 4 years ago that the Chilliwack Lake sockeye run was so large that it was opened for FN harvest?  I believe it was partly to make up for the lack of an opening on the Fraser.  I would expect another large return this year since I believe these are mostly 4 year fish.

bobby b

Lost 2 big fish yesterday morning.

I got to 'my spot' just before 5:30am and could see salmon jumping and rolling all the way through the run. After about 40mins it all went quiet and they were gone.

Pretty sure the 1st was a Spring. It 'hunkered down' and pulled hard!!

The second was awesome....it head straight upstream and jumped about a dozen times before it shook the hook, was hard to keep tension on as I tried franticly to reel in the slack line with my Centerpin. Also felt a tad undergunned with my 3113lb.
 Next time I might bring my bait cast setup instead, dunno....

Also caught a 3-4lb wild Rainbow, and 3 other 1-2lb'ers. But to top it all off I also caught a 4-5lb Bull trout, right when I was about to give up and move on to another spot. 

Most of this was between 5:30am and 7:30 am.  The Bull was at about 9:00am

Had a blast, so glad I made the trip out there....getting up at 3:30am was worth it! 

The rest of the day was relatively quiet, a few little ones and a few bites here and there.

Talked to a few guy's in the afternoon, all of them had no sightings or bites.

Drewhill

Should this thread be moved to fishing reports?

I don't think there are more sockeye this year. Looks to be the same as most years. It just seems like there's a lot because they surface more than most salmon.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 04:16:19 PM by Drewhill »

kingpin

• Old Timer

This year is the big run cycle , the other 3 years of runs are no where near as strong
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Walleye76

Brood year for the Chilliwack lake sockeye so yes there are more in the system, they are doing nothing hatchery wise to enhance the sockeye (correct me if I'm wrong) but one down side is the number of socks Ive seen get the "peg leg" rock bath because of it, even came across a filleted sock carcus on the lower and heard of some out of province anglers bonking one mistaking it for a chinook apparently. Ive yet to see any COs on the flow tho.... Anyone ran into them out there yet?

TheLostSockeye

Brood year for the Chilliwack lake sockeye so yes there are more in the system, they are doing nothing hatchery wise to enhance the sockeye (correct me if I'm wrong) but one down side is the number of socks Ive seen get the "peg leg" rock bath because of it, even came across a filleted sock carcus on the lower and heard of some out of province anglers bonking one mistaking it for a chinook apparently. Ive yet to see any COs on the flow tho.... Anyone ran into them out there yet?

I've seen lots of CO's out on the river. Even some undercover ones in unmarked vehicles which is good to see.