Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2016 Chilliwack River summer salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 34233 times)

NothingToSnagAbout

Couldn't find a thread. Wondering if anybody here's gone out yet chasing the summer nooks and how the return is looking?

dobrolub

Get out there and find out. Then tell the rest of us if it's worth a trip :)

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

It's a small run.  Some Folks get juiced about it thinking coho.
Not usually worth the gas for me.
There are trout to be had though

MetalAndFeathers

Few lucky people are hooking up. Seems like some of them are very colored up. Some people are getting multiple so it seems like a good runs.

Good luck!

John Revolver

I was out on the lower river , keith wilson bridge to Pillings allll day yesterday.

Lots and Lots of Sockeye surface activity but they don't bite :(

I did manage 1 rainbow trout and 1 small juvenile coho so the day was not a total loss. The Juvie coho hit a hammered silver spoon the rainbow  hit a black and pink Jig.

A few people were out. No Chinook to be seen. Good water levels. Clear water.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer

Spent all day hunting for fishing spots, lots of walking, saw one splash of a real fish only. One pocket with flossers had some fish, saw multiple hookups, all break off, nothing landed.

Didnt find any spots that seemed like really plausible Chinook water.

No one I talked to had any action.

Got three smolts of some fish I couldn't identify which all lived to bite another day.

River high and clear.

Better luck next time, I'm going to work for a few weeks then try again...

Apennock

I'm gearing up to head out most likely on the Upper river in the morning.  Does anyone know how the clarity is after the rain this week?

grayman

It's probably blown out.

I've been a long time lurker, first time poster on this forum.

@Apennock, could you please provide a photo of the water conditions when you're there?

Thank you.

dobrolub

River was dropping for two days now, so clarity should be just right, unless you see a big bump in the graph from the overnight rain.

Apennock

Thanks for the updates.  I'll post a picture late morning tomorrow and let you guys know what we see. 

Nicolas The Fisherman

Lots and Lots of Sockeye surface activity but they don't bite :(

Sockeye do bite on the Vedder . They'll hammer both cured shrimp and jigs tipped with a chunk of shrimp meat . You may also by-catch a few on roe , egg sacs or blades when targeting the springs but definitely not as often . As far as the river conditions , it was prime this morning . It'll take a lot more rain to blow out and I don't think we'll be getting that kind of rain , only showers every now and then .

colin6101

I've caught a decent amount of sockeye on roe on the Vedder as well. I had no idea they would take roe until it happened three times in one day to me last year.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

Release all Sockeye! Clipped or unclipped!
They can be fun though if you get one.

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!

Was out this morning. Mid River - Landed and released a nice Sockeye caught on a small piece of Roe. Threw on a single bead and the steelhead smolts and rainbows awere hammering it. Left @ 12:30. Not many people out but I saw no Reds taken. The water in the Upper is perfect with that slight green color to it.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 05:27:55 PM by fishmonk »

Apennock

Went out on the upper C/V this morning.  Water was a little higher than I would have like but very clear.

Fished wool and cured prawns for a while with no luck then switched to a trout bead and caught a couple of steelhead smolts and hooked something bigger but lost it  >:(