Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River Spring and Summer 52 chinook - DFO proposed management approach  (Read 26713 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Why the huge difference in abundance? They're different stocks...

Fraser River's spring and early summer runs have been struggling for years now.

swimmingwiththefishes

Simple...fish farms and seals:)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

They'll put a cull on wolves to protect the moose and caribou, why haven't  they put a cull on seals to protect salmon? Too cute perhaps? The oil protesters would be out there in their oil based kayaks in full force. Probably after leaving Mcnab creek to protest gravel extraction which is used for the foundation of their house and all the stores they shop in ::)

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante

Simple...fish farms and seals:)
    :o ....probably right at the bottom of the list of problems compared to overfishing,climate change,ocean conditions,pollution,and habitat degradation...
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

swimmingwiththefishes

:o ....probably right at the bottom of the list of problems compared to overfishing,climate change,ocean conditions,pollution,and habitat degradation...
Actually tried to make a logical assumption based on what are the significant factors that differ for Fraser river salmon and other runs that aren't struggling to the same extent.  The Westcoast of Vancouver Island returns are looking decent this year for example.

dobrolub

Albion positive yesterday and today.

nevertoolate

what does that mean?

Tylsie

what does that mean?

It means 1 chinook was caught on the 23, and 2 on the 24. If you google Albion test fishery you can read about it and see the results of each test net.

dobrolub

Crunched some numbers for that test site: Chinook catch for May 1980–2016

June 1980 – 2015

July 1980 – 2015

August 1980 – 2015

Sept 1980 – 2015

Oct 1980 – 2015
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 10:40:56 PM by dobrolub »

Dave

• Old Timer

Great graphics.  Anyone harvesting early run Fraser River chinook should be ashamed.

typhoon

• Old Timer

Wow! Explains the rationale for definitely not opening until August.

dobrolub

Can someone shed some lite on fishing regulations for FN please. Are FN allowed to fish now? Is there a limit? What are the regulations for using gill nets?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 11:06:55 AM by dobrolub »

Every Day

• Old Timer

Can someone shed some lite on fishing regulations for FN please. Are FN allowed to fish now? Is there a limit? What are the regulations for using gill nets?

I don't think anyone knows what they are. In short, there probably are some regulations in place, but they probably are very loose, and in reality those regulations therefore do not exist.

Really, as far as I know, they aren't open right now (legally). In the end though, they can pretty much fish whenever they want. CO's and DFO are afraid to touch them/prosecute them, because they are afraid of creating new case law (which in the end could be a worse case scenario - look at the Boldt decision in the USA/Washington and what is happening to their fisheries.)

If the First Nations in this area could prove that their ancestors relied on these fish and had indeed harvested them at this time of year since time immemorial, then they could legally protect themselves in court and therefore, there would be new case law created. Once that case law is created, it becomes a free for all. They powers that be probably assume since it's a grey area/"illegal" now, FN's will do it less than if case law opened it up to be legal. At that point you'd go from having the odd bold person with FN heritage doing it to everyone doing it just because they can. That's just my guess based on discussions I had with CO's throughout university (not particularly on this issue - but on other issues like night hunting deer, fishing for various species in island rivers, over-harvesting, etc). It's a sad state of affairs we are in.

dobrolub

Thanks ED. This helps me understand the issue. In time we'll all be equal  8)

dobrolub

... and some year totals graphed while I am at it: