Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River Spring and Summer 52 chinook - DFO proposed management approach  (Read 26919 times)

dobrolub

Coho: Aug, Sept, Oct.

dobrolub

Steelhead: Sept, Oct

dobrolub

Pink:  Aug, Sept, Oct.

dobrolub

Chum monthly, Aug, Sept, Oct.

DanL

• Old Timer

Thanks for the time put into this. I wonder if it might be more representative if plotted as Catch Per Unit Effort as a quick eyeballing of the Chinook reports seems to suggest that the total amount or time of sets each year does change especially when compared from one decade to the next. Regardless, interesting data to look at.

dobrolub

I wonder if it might be more representative if plotted as Catch Per Unit Effort as a quick eyeballing of the Chinook reports seems to suggest that the total amount or time of sets each year does change especially when compared from one decade to the next.

I considered that initially, but then decided towards an approach that's little simpler to comprehend. I agree, that CPUE value may be more representative. I think I'll add that as second series when more data for 2016 become available, like end of June or July depending on the catch numbers.

kingpin

• Old Timer

Must have been an opening today , drift netting this morning at the golden ears
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Knnn

• Old Timer

If the First Nations in this area could prove that their ancestors relied on these fish and had indeed harvested them at this time of year since time immemorial, then they could legally protect themselves in court and therefore, there would be new case law created.

I'm surprised that this has not been done already.  I know of one local nation that has archeological evidence that springs, coho, pink, chum, herring, anchovy and eulachon were the foundation of pre-contact diet going back almost 3,000 years based on bone, scale and DNA test data from various midden piles that have been carbon dated.  They can even tell that settlements established at different locations tended to consumed different ratios of fish species.

Every Day

• Old Timer

I'm surprised that this has not been done already.  I know of one local nation that has archeological evidence that springs, coho, pink, chum, herring, anchovy and eulachon were the foundation of pre-contact diet going back almost 3,000 years based on bone, scale and DNA test data from various midden piles that have been carbon dated.  They can even tell that settlements established at different locations tended to consumed different ratios of fish species.

And that's exactly why you don't see CO's out there ticketing. Needs to go to court before it becomes case law  ;) There is no doubt that the FN's in this area would win the time immemorial argument.

Right now there is some possibility of regulations around the whole netting thing, and around being able to co-exist with recreational fishing. The moment case law comes in, rivers shut down and recreational anglers get no opportunities while having to watch the nets rape the rivers - like what is happening in the states right now. It sucks, but the situation we're in now is much better than it could be (which is pretty scary).

Tylsie

There is no doubt that the First Nations lived off of the salmon, and all of the other sea life in the area. What is in doubt is if they were able to maintain sole control over the area. If other bands were able to enter the areas and harvest as well then they can not have a claim to the area. That was a key in the Tsilhqot'in case. The Bands along the Fraser, not so much. There is documented proof that the Haida frequently make raids and camps down here. Would a local Band win, maybe, but then every other band would have to willingly abide by that decision. It would never happen. Take into account that these early fish are the ones bound for Quesnel, Prince George, and beyond and all the First Nations up there have a claim this will never go to court. Better to stick with the status quo and let everyone have hand in destroying the pie. Kind of like a firing squad, not every gun is loaded so you can sleep at night believing the it was the other guy who fired the killing shot.

No one should be fishing these early Chinook.

Dave

• Old Timer

No one should be fishing these early Chinook.
Exactly.

hrenya

I've been fishing tidal fraser last 2-3 weeks mostly on weekends , but took a few days off ...
last weekend and this week (I fished after worked , thanks to tide:) ) I notice some Chinook activity ... quite a few jumpers ... after looking at tables above I really hope these guys make it w/o nets on their way ....  It`s amazing to see them at all according to those tables .... :(((

losos

I just don't understand FN claim to "traditional" fish harvesting.
Time did not stop 3000 years ago . Everything has changed and everybody has to adapt to the new reality but them.
Traditionally they didn't use fish finders, motor boats,pick up trucks and nylon nets. They didn't sell their catch to white people .
 For some reason FN can't adapt to the new reality despite government  many programs that favour them. I don't think anybody can demand to want to stay in stone age despite all changes going around the World and ask others to pay one or the other way for it. White people had done great damage to FN ,but there is time to get over it and find new ways to look for the future. I myself come from the nation that suffered a lot from others and probably more than FN and yet we concentrate on surviving and blossoming in the new reality .

typhoon

• Old Timer

I just don't understand FN claim to "traditional" fish harvesting.
Time did not stop 3000 years ago . Everything has changed and everybody has to adapt to the new reality but them.
Traditionally they didn't use fish finders, motor boats,pick up trucks and nylon nets. They didn't sell their catch to white people .
 For some reason FN can't adapt to the new reality despite government  many programs that favour them. I don't think anybody can demand to want to stay in stone age despite all changes going around the World and ask others to pay one or the other way for it. White people had done great damage to FN ,but there is time to get over it and find new ways to look for the future. I myself come from the nation that suffered a lot from others and probably more than FN and yet we concentrate on surviving and blossoming in the new reality .

Your opinion doesn't actually impact the laws of Canada. FN are guaranteed first access to stocks after conservation.
If you want to change that, then feel free to lobby your MP.
The argument that they should use "traditional" methods doesn't make sense since methods would always improve. It would be the same as saying you can't drive your truck to work since 200 years ago there were no trucks.

losos

However it is FN that want maintain traditional life style ,don't they. Perhaps it should be clarified what tradition means. Secondly nowhere in my post is written "my opinion matters" or has any influence on anyone.
I just expressed my lack of understanding of the whole problem and welcome sound explanation to which you're also welcomed in future posts. They got their privileges because white guys did invade their territories and did horrible things to them. However in light of dwindling fish stock whole policy could be revised since there are well known cases of right abuse by self proclaimed fish stuarts. From this topic it sounds that instead of conservation there is death warrant signed for the fish. At least it is my impression. And you are worried about local shops being closed.
Are you expecting any half witted person to spend hundreds or thousands of $ on gear  to just go for riparian picknick?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 05:35:25 PM by losos »