Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River Spring and Summer 52 chinook - DFO proposed management approach  (Read 26711 times)

96XJ

If the natives are so concerned about the early run why have they been fishing them for a month already ? One guy I know out here in chilliwack netted 40 during the one opening they had in April
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 02:32:25 PM by 96XJ »

96XJ

If the natives are so concerned about the early run why have they been fishing them for a month already ? One guy I know out here in chilliwack netted 40 during the one opening they had in April

Of course they are concerned - concerned about getting more and shutting the recreational fishers out

swimmingwiththefishes

Hope those expressing concerns here pass them on.

"If you would like to provide feedback, you are requested to provide it to your local
resource manager or Kelly.binning@dfo-mpo.gc.ca on or before May 9, 2015."
I want to bump this up and reiterate people need to contact DFO NOW, if they want to keep salmon fishing for Chinook.

This will set a very concerning precedent for future fisheries relating to salmon.

swimmingwiththefishes

A good letter from SFI:

April 29, 2016
Chinook, Fraser River and Juan de Fuca

The SFI is actively engaged on behalf of Southern Vancouver Island anglers in convincing DFO to stick to its guns regarding maintaining access to Chinook in Juan De Fuca Strait recreational fisheries. We believe that the 2012 policy which creates 3 zones of abundance (zone one being the lowest) based on test fishery results, and corresponding management measures that affect all 3 sectors is the appropriate path forward. Abandoning the abundance-based approach would be a fundamental policy change that could undermine both domestic fisheries management and Canada’s position as we begin renegotiation of the chinook and coho portions of the Pacific Salmon Treaty.

Management scenarios currently proposed by DFO and First Nations include a full closure of the Juan de Fuca and Georgia Strait approach waters to the Fraser and in River salmon fishery in May, June and July and/or keeping only recreational and commercial fisheries at zone 1 management measures. This closure and zone 1 management scenario would continue even if test fishery results indicate a zone 2 or even 3 level of abundance. While the impacts to the recreational sector would be very damaging and severely limit opportunity in either scenario, the proposals would provide for a doubling or even tripling of First Nations impacts on the stocks in the Fraser River. This is not a conservation based proposal, effectively represents a reallocation of fish between sectors and provides a gift to the United States of marked hatchery fish Canada is entitled to catch under the salmon treaty. Early Fraser Chinook stocks are predicted by the Pacific Salmon Commission Chinook Technical Committee to return at 258,000 fish in 2016. This is the highest predicted return since 1979, and almost 4x the brood year! It seems hard to conceive of a serious conservation based argument based on a prediction like this.

We sincerely hope that the DFO understands the need for a clear and transparent science based approach to this issue which respects the value and needs of all sectors. To do otherwise will surely lead to a very long hot summer on the Juan de Fuca Strait.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good

I want to bump this up and reiterate people need to contact DFO NOW, if they want to keep salmon fishing for Chinook.

This will set a very concerning precedent for future fisheries relating to salmon.

I've mailed my MLA and MP and will follow up with an email by mid next week. This is pretty serious business.
I'm really surprised that DFO is even considering this. They are basically pushing their own risk to the recreational sector with no clear vision for conservation.

swimmingwiththefishes

I naughtily created my own thread for this but seeing as this is very significant can't hurt to double-up....

Email instructions and contacts:

Letter Writing Reference Notes and Addressing Details:

Contained in the document are details of who to write to, concise bullet points about the issue and an easy-to-use letter template. We recommend sending an email letter, but a letter sent by ground mail is also excellent. Please ensure you copy SVIAC at info@anglerscoalition.com the letter you send, so we know how many letters have been sent in total.

Who to write to: The new Minister of Fisheries and Oceans Canada in Ottawa. The Honourable Hunter Tootoo - His emails are: Hunter.Tootoo@parl.gc.ca and min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca Also send your email to Kelly Binning Kelly.Binning@dfo-mpo.gc.ca in DFO HQ in Vancouver to officially register your views on the proposed regulations.

Who to send a copy to: (copying strategic individuals is also very very important)

Randall Garrison – NDP MP Esquimalt-Saanich-Sooke – Randall.Garrison@parl.gc.ca
Murray Rankin - NDP MP Victoria – Murray.Rankin@parl.gc.ca
Elizabeth May – Green Party MP Saanich – Gulf Islands – Elizabeth.May@parl.gc.ca

Scott Simms – Liberal MP - Parliamentary Standing Cmttee on DFO – Scott.Simms@parl.gc.ca
Mark Stahl – Conservative MP (BC) – Fisheries Critic – Mark.Strahl@parl.gc.ca
Fin Donnelly – NDP MP (BC) – Fisheries Critic – Fin.Donnelly@parl.gc.ca
Key points:

The issues:

Fishery Closure or Worse Regulations - Fraser River First Nations and the Marine Conservation Caucus are lobbying DFO to close the recreational salmon fishery in Juan de Fuca and Haro Straits during May, June and July this year. At least 28 letters have been sent by First Nations bands to Minister Tootoo requesting this closure. To date, DFO have not been willing to confirm to the SFAB executive that there will be no shut down this year.

In addition, DFO Pacific Resource Managers are proposing to the Minister further Fraser Chinook regulations in June and July as a compromise position. We would be held in Zone 1 (the disliked slot size) for June and July regardless of abundance.

We Have Already Made Major Sacrifices- Since 2010 Juan de Fuca and Haro Strait Chinook salmon anglers have “borne the brunt” of DFO’s conservation measures through a suite of severe fishing restrictions that diminish our fishing opportunities from March 1st to mid-July each year. Our exploitation has dropped by at least 77% on Fraser Chinook stocks of concern. We have met or exceeded DFO’s Chinook exploitation reduction targets at every step along the way. There is NO MORE ROOM for additional restrictions without seriously damaging the fishery.

Serious Harm to Local Businesses –implementing a closure or introducing more restrictive measures will only further harm businesses that rely on our traditional year-round salmon fishery for their income. Lodges, guides, tackle stores, marinas, boat sales and repair businesses will all be negatively impacted by these proposed DFO actions. Business owners, their staff and their suppliers will all face detrimental circumstances. Staff lay-offs or business closure could result.

This is Not About Conservation - Due to the predictions of low Fraser Sockeye return this year and likely reduced First Nations Food, Social and Ceremonial Sockeye fishing opportunity, Fraser First Nations want to harvest more Chinook for their FSC regardless of conservation. Closing Victoria and area to salmon fishing in May, June and July and providing more Chinook to Fraser FN would be an extraordinary re-allocation not based on conservation. Any Chinook saved by closing our fishery would simply be caught in the river net fishery, no more would get to the spawning beds.

Precedent Setting – The underlying concern for this proposed closure is an understanding that this approach does not align with the 1998 Salmon Allocation Policy, is not conservation based, yet sets a dangerous precedent with regards to exclusive access to salmon. A decision to impose the closure has implications that threaten all tidal waters fisheries in the future.

What to Write -In your own words write a short (2 or 3 paragraph) letter expressing your very serious concerns about DFO increasing restrictions or closing the recreational salmon fishery in May, June and July. Add some additional content and feel free to use the materials in “The issues” section above to guide you.

swimmingwiththefishes

Here is the link to the 2nd TV newscast (1st one on CHEK 6 News) on the potential DFO fishing closure in areas 19 and 20. http://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=870645

Howlongsyourleader

We don't really know the hard facts and numbers though, do we? All any of us can really do is speculate with our own bias opinion, and hope that the real professionals out there make the right decisions.. I try to look at both sides of the argument (Natives vs sports fisherman). Too bad we can't seem to make both groups happy.

I honestly think there are far far too many human beings alive on the planet. We are overpopulated, and I don't see how any of this is sustainable for the long term years to come? Wild life/environment seems to be slowly collapsing, and dwindling away as more people move to the already crowded lower mainland from other places that have far too many people/problems.

I feel like these are such minor issues relative to the real problem of corruption and too many people... what a mess!!

Sorry for the negative input

There are more than enough resources for all of us and billions more on this planet. Think of the huge vast areas on this planet without a human soul living there. The problem lies in the monetary system, capitalism and current levels of consumption, recycling and waste.

We throw away 50% of the food we produce. There is no shortage of food for the planets inhabitants, especially with advances in modern technology. There is a lack of will and compassion to feed everyone on this planet. There will be lots of water for us to drink when we stop watering our lawns with drinking water and giving companies free license to bottle our aquifers for profit. BY tempering our consumption, using advances in technology, and recycling there are more than enough resources on this planet to sustain the current population and more. Resource Based Economics to the rescue
Have you seen my float?

dobrolub

What I've found over the years is that numbers are manipulated to give issues proper political spin. There is not much of 'pure science' exists today. Science is sacrificed for the profits and political gain.

As far as resources are concerned, there are plenty of resources on Earth. The problems we are facing root in the wrong principles that our society lives by.

Deteriorating environment and quality of living is a sign that we need to change things. Unfortunately, the political system isn't independent enough to listen to citizens.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 01:49:42 PM by dobrolub »

RainbowMan

Category(s):
ABORIGINAL - General Information,
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net,
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Troll,
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0419-Aboriginal, Recreational, Commercial - Salmon - Gill Net and Troll - Fraser River Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 Chinook - May 18, 2016 Abundance Update

In 2016, the Department has identified concerns associated with expected poor
returns of Fraser River Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 chinook. Management of these
stocks is based on an in-season assessment of returns using the cumulative
catch per unit effort (CPUE) of chinook caught at the Albion Test Fishery. A
three zone management approach is used to identify management actions.

The Department initiated the 2016 season with management actions based on the
lowest management zone (zone 1) given uncertainties in expected marine survival
rate, and recent years of poor returns for these stock aggregates.

The model used to predict the return of Fraser River Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2
chinook uses data from the standard chinook net fished by the Albion Test
fishery and does not incorporate catch from the multi-panel net (which is
currently fished on alternate days). The standard chinook net is an 8 inch
(approx. 20 cm) mesh. Catch and effort data are cumulated by week, starting the
first full week in May, to provide the input to the model.

In 2016, the Albion chinook test fishery began operating on April 24. The
total catch for the period of this update (May 1 to May 13) was zero (0)
chinook. Based on this input, the current predicted return to the mouth of the
Fraser for the Fraser River Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 chinook aggregates is
less than 25,000 fish.

The next scheduled update is on May 31 and the final in-season update is
planned for June 14.

The Department is currently reviewing management actions for Fraser River
Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 chinook for 2016 fisheries. In the interim, the
Department is proceeding with pre-season plans to implement Zone 1 management
actions and previously announced fishery management actions to conserve Fraser
River chinook remain in effect.

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:

Kelly Binning 604-666-3935

RainbowMan

Anyone knows what "Zone 1 management actions" is??

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Total closure.

nevertoolate

How does all this square with the Fishing Report from Murphys from a few weeks ago that predicts this will be the "run of a decade"
I dont get it.

rln

• I'm a llama!

How does all this square with the Fishing Report from Murphys from a few weeks ago that predicts this will be the "run of a decade"
I dont get it.
Murphy's quote is about 1,000,000 Conuma , Alberni and Columbia River estimated chinooks returning. Nothing to do with Fraser stocks

nevertoolate

why is it so different there?