Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Freds Chilliwack Closing  (Read 13206 times)

fisherforever

Freds Chilliwack Closing
« on: April 12, 2016, 11:16:57 AM »

Went by this am and it was closed, sign in the window says the Chilliwack store is closing. Consolidating both stores so just the Abbotsford store will remain open.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 11:18:54 AM by fisherforever »

CohoMan

• Old Timer
Re: Freds Chilliwack Closing
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 11:40:27 AM »

Retail business is tough!!! With Cabelas coming into Abbotsford, I hope he can stay afloat. There will be 3 outdoor stores in Abby- Fred, Hub Sports and Cabelas.

Howlongsyourleader

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 11:53:07 AM »

I find this hard to believe but I guess if it doesn't make dollars it doesn't make sense.
Have you seen my float?

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 12:08:41 PM »

That place always had people in it? You'd think he'd close the Abby store first the original one was prime location

joshhowat

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 12:23:11 PM »

Pretty sure they are building a new store near there old store.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 01:20:49 PM »

Freds Abby is in a better location for most of the area and has way better selection.  Only thing prime with the chilliwack location was proximity to the river, but getting there from the highway was a pain.

One thing I also noticed is they lost a lot of parking this year with the construction if whatever building just north.  It is possible their lease was up and the landowner had an idea for the spot so wanted them gone?

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 01:40:38 PM »

So no more steelhead derby weigh-ins and pictures ?

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 02:24:15 PM »

So no more steelhead derby weigh-ins and pictures ?

And no more loaner rods to save the day when your stick explodes on an angry spring early in the morning.  :o
Fred sure save my day that day.  :)

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 03:56:39 PM »

I met with Fred this morning and it’s true the main emphasis of his business is shifting to the Abby store, for now.  Basically, the store in Vedder Crossing is losing money because fishing on the C-V has pretty much stopped, while the Abby store is holding its own, even flourishing.   He hopes to reopen again this fall and winter, when angling is paramount so that means fish weigh ins and reports will most likely continue.

I have known Fred for over 40 years; his dedication to conservation efforts on the C-V and Fraser Rivers have been huge … no one has done more to promote angling in the Chilliwack area than Fred Helmer, and, always, always willing to donate a prize or a gift for worthy causes.   His financial support of the Wally Hall Jr. Memorial Derby has cost him thousands of dollars and I have no doubt this event will continue because he sincerely believes in it.
As Milo stated, customer support was very important to him.

I wish him all the best in these difficult economic times and hope people will understand the necessity of this (hopefully) temporary closure.

Robert_G

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 05:08:40 PM »

Interesting.....also Chilliwack Dart and Tackle is for sale....asking 750k for the business.
Not an industry I'd want to invest in right now. Opportunities for both hunting and fishing are evaporating yearly.
Its true I have saved and accumulated a lot of tackle by now, but I spend barely a fraction on gear compared to 20 years ago.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 07:42:59 PM »

... is losing money because fishing on the C-V has pretty much stopped...

Say what now? I don't think I have seen more people fishing on the C-V than in the last year.
There was a whole series of posts blaming Fred's for the overcrowding.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 08:01:44 PM »

I've never been to the Abbotsford store, but inevitably ended up visiting the Chilliwack store at least twice every fall for reel parts or an emergency re-spooling of maxima.  Not to mention emergency float replenishing, etc.  And that time I had to replace my rod (bought a new one, not warranty).  And the early morning emergencies.  Man, I hate to think I'll have to start planning ahead for such things!

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 08:06:18 PM »

Sorry typhoon, I meant fishing on the C-V has nearly stopped NOW, the end of steelhead fishing with not much happening until coho season.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 10:17:24 PM »

Sorry typhoon, I meant fishing on the C-V has nearly stopped NOW, the end of steelhead fishing with not much happening until coho season.

That's a shame too. I remember when July on the Vedder was my favourite time of year. Now the red springs are getting thinner and thinner and runs are getting filled with more and more bouncers.

Burbot

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 11:30:44 PM »

The big box fishing stores will push all the small guys out...Maybe if people wanted small guys around they would shop at their business instead of Big Box yank stores and online...