Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Freds Chilliwack Closing  (Read 13207 times)

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Freds Chilliwack Closing
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 07:10:34 AM »

Sorry typhoon, I meant fishing on the C-V has nearly stopped NOW, the end of steelhead fishing with not much happening until coho season.
Ahhh, thanks for the clarification. Makes sense they would tie the store closing it to the end of steelhead season.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2016, 06:10:38 AM »

I blame Starbucks.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2016, 04:56:08 PM »

I know how to catch fish.......Sometimes.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2016, 04:34:13 PM »

I blame Starbucks.
Lol! Ha ha ha, good one...

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 07:54:51 PM »

with cabelas arriving it may do even more damage to freds in abby. I will miss my morning visits during salmon season to grab a few items on the way to the river. The guys were great to talk to and share fishing stories. Hopefully it opens again this fall/winter. guess ill grab supplies from crappy tire or walmart for now.  :-\.............or maybe rodney can open up a location this year!!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2016, 10:23:44 PM »

guess ill grab supplies from crappy tire or walmart for now.  :-\.............or maybe rodney can open up a location this year!!

Or you could go to Chilliwack Dart and Tackle?  ???

Gone_Fishin_

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2016, 07:28:58 AM »

Seen Gary's ad on Craigslist last week. Chwk Dart & Tackle

Looks like he's trying to sell it right now... hopefully someone picks it up and they don't close too.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2016, 09:58:43 PM »

Wow sad to hear about the closure of Fred's store in Chilliwack. If Chilliwack Dart and Tackle cannot find a buyer that would be pretty disappointing for the fishing and hunting enthusiasts for that area. If Canadian Tire becomes your only alternative in Chilliwack/Sardis you have my sympathy. Shows you how tight margins are for the fishing/hunting retail market in Canada is. And the weak Canadian dollar also adds to the problem.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2016, 10:50:20 PM »

I met with Fred this morning and it’s true the main emphasis of his business is shifting to the Abby store, for now.  Basically, the store in Vedder Crossing is losing money because fishing on the C-V has pretty much stopped, while the Abby store is holding its own, even flourishing.   He hopes to reopen again this fall and winter, when angling is paramount so that means fish weigh ins and reports will most likely continue.

I have known Fred for over 40 years; his dedication to conservation efforts on the C-V and Fraser Rivers have been huge … no one has done more to promote angling in the Chilliwack area than Fred Helmer, and, always, always willing to donate a prize or a gift for worthy causes.   His financial support of the Wally Hall Jr. Memorial Derby has cost him thousands of dollars and I have no doubt this event will continue because he sincerely believes in it.
As Milo stated, customer support was very important to him.

I wish him all the best in these difficult economic times and hope people will understand the necessity of this (hopefully) temporary closure.

But fishing basically stops on the C/V every year this time until the small red spring opportunities, and then fall salmon season, I wonder what's different... He must see the writing on the wall with cabela's coming to the valley in a few weeks. Or maybe the land owner wants more condos in the area....

Robert_G

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2016, 08:49:36 AM »

Shows you how tight margins are for the fishing/hunting retail market in Canada is. And the weak Canadian dollar also adds to the problem.

The real problem is that our fishing/hunting opportunities are evaporating like snow in July. Less openings, less access, shorter seasons, fewer fish, and fewer gamer animals causing what's left to become more overcrowded and less enjoyable. At the end of the day that's where its at.

If I had the means, yes...I'd love to be fishing places that give the great secluded experiences like Flora Lake and other places that require hours of hiking in, but most of us simply can't do that every time we want to fish or hunt....it's not realistic, so we are left fishing overcrowded places that are becoming even fewer and far between each year.

Opening or buying a hunting/fishing shop right now would be financial suicide for most of us.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 08:51:29 AM by Robert_G »

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2016, 10:45:22 AM »

But fishing basically stops on the C/V every year this time until the small red spring opportunities, and then fall salmon season, I wonder what's different... He must see the writing on the wall with cabela's coming to the valley in a few weeks. Or maybe the land owner wants more condos in the area....

Surprises me Fred would pull the pin on the Chilliwack store instead of the Abby store of this was the case. After all he's only a short drive from the new Cabelas. I doubt he got pushed out of the Chilliwack store due to development issues, looks like that small strip mall is there to stay now that it's anchored with a Starbucks. I haven't been to the new Abby store since they moved, but I'll be shopping there for my fishing supplies now that the other store is closed.
I urge all of you to continue to buy your fishing supplies at local stores. The Big box stores get enough of our business with other purchases.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2016, 08:21:25 PM »

Surprises me Fred would pull the pin on the Chilliwack store instead of the Abby store of this was the case. After all he's only a short drive from the new Cabelas. I doubt he got pushed out of the Chilliwack store due to development issues, looks like that small strip mall is there to stay now that it's anchored with a Starbucks. I haven't been to the new Abby store since they moved, but I'll be shopping there for my fishing supplies now that the other store is closed.
I urge all of you to continue to buy your fishing supplies at local stores. The Big box stores get enough of our business with other purchases.

Large newly signed lease in Abby, Starbucks taking up all the parking, expiring lease in Chilliwack, Fred getting older and getting ready for retirement, these are all ideas that I have may be the cause.

Regardless, life becomes a little less convenient for the river fishermen. We will survive, I just hope Freds Tackle does too.

penn

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2016, 04:28:29 PM »

I would think there is no way the landowner would be able to build condos on that land due to zoning . I don't know the details specific to Fred's store , but land is zoned for different things like agriculture , commercial , industrial or residential . Seeing how it is being used as commercial land now, I would assume it is zoned commercial,so  that would rule out residential usage . You can't just build what ever you feel like on a given piece of land , it has to stay with in the zoning , and getting it out of that requires applications to the city council . And those usually get shot down just like when people want land out of the ALR . If this wasn't so there would be houses and condos all over the Sumas Prairie as well as industrial areas .

penn

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2016, 04:33:16 PM »

Why?
Because people spent their money on coffee and can't afford fishing gear .