Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder River November 25 - 26, 2015 !  (Read 13313 times)

TheLostSockeye

Vedder River November 25 - 26, 2015 !
« on: November 26, 2015, 04:57:30 PM »

Follow me on Instagram (New Account) @ KyleRudkevitch

Well its been a pretty good few days.
This is why i catch so many fish!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApLEOnzqpuM if your roe doesn't do this your missing out!!

Started off fishing lower river looking for some chum does so i could test out these new cures i got that nobody else in
Canada has. So i woke up around 7:00am and started tying jigs. I tied around 4 and we headed to the river. I arrived at the spot i wanted to fish and their were 2 other anglers there so i proceeded to go above them a bit. They said they recognized me from instagram  ;D ::) As i was rigging up one of the anglers below me hooked a beauty 8-10lb chum doe just a silver bullet and he retained it. I was happy for him and excited that there might be some more chums in there! Within 5 casts my float sank and i got a beauty buck chum that was so silver i couldn't let it go BONK!. 

The fishing died off pretty quick after that and nobody else caught anything. I decided to head to another spot i know and saw no other anglers present so i was pretty happy. I fished about 2 runs that were there and i got nothing!! The runs were prime to fish were bound to sit in there!! Dazed and confused i decided to walk way up river and see if i could find more fish-able water. I arrived at the spot i know call The Slab 2.0 And proceeded to fish. First cast BAM! float goes down.

Released that nice girl and cast out again BAM! float goes down again and up comes :

around 5 casts later :

Few casts after that:

I then proceeded to cast 10-15 times with no fish. So then i headed up to the head of the run just as my fishing buddy arrives. First cast BAM! float goes down, i set the hook but nothing. This repeated 2 more times until finally on the 4th cast i got a good hookset into a nice fish. I then proceeded to hand the rod off to my fishing buddy. He fought it for a bit until he got it in. It was a 10+lb bullet chrome chum doe with sea lice all over its back!!! I cured up this roe with my secret stuff to try the next day.

As for today. I met up with a buddy on the river and we started in the lower at first light. It was really slow we didn't get anything at the first spot. At the second spot on my second cast i got a chum doe that was all spawned out Gross! Nothing after that. Then We tried 2 other spots with nothing. Finally we tried this big pool and i managed to pull one nice doe out of there (sorry no pic) And that was it for my buddy's fishing trip and chums for the day. He went home.

I decided that i wanted to try upriver. We drove upriver to a spot ive fished lots before and i went out to the main run and it totally sucked!! Super shallow and not fishable. I was fishing on the other side of the river and i remembered that there was a nice seam just upriver from where i was. LOL It was pretty far 20 min hike later i got to the nice seam and nobody was there!!
I tried fishing a jig for a bit and i got a few float downs but no good takers. I then decided to try my roe i just cured up the previous day. Man did it ever work well! it milked out just like the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApLEOnzqpuM
Within 10 casts i had 2 coho on the beach 1 hatch 1 wild.

Hatch:

Wild:

Beauty fish for this time year!!

This picture pretty much sums up the last couple days!  ;) ;D ::)

« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 03:27:38 PM by TheLostSockeye »

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder River November 25 - 26, 2015 !
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 05:55:41 PM »

Perhaps it's time to learn some basic C&R skills TLS.  I know you're young and posting pictures of your catch is important at your age, but showing pictures of wild fish out of the water will not make you many friends on most fishing forums ;)

TheLostSockeye

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 06:00:42 PM »

Perhaps it's time to learn some basic C&R skills TLS.  I know you're young and posting pictures of your catch is important at your age, but showing pictures of wild fish out of the water will not make you many friends on most fishing forums ;)

Lol i knew someone was going to say something! Pictures not important at all. I only take so my friends believe me. fish was fine took literally 5 seconds to take pics and put fish on its marry way! next time it will be in water. My C&R skills are great thank you. One mishap and shhhh hits the fan .

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 06:06:51 PM »

Was just a suggestion. Carry on

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 06:18:45 PM »

I only take so my friends believe me.
As the years go by your ego becomes less fragile, you don't care if your friends believe you (or you get new friends!), and you just carry on doing what you're doing.

Having said that, you've caught a tad more fish than me and it's nice to see such an enthusiastic and skilled angler. Carry on :) 

Drewhill

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 06:26:51 PM »

I've fished with him and his fish handling skills are top notch. When he says literally 5 seconds he's not joking.

Brothersage

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 09:57:20 PM »

It's not a matter of how long this fish is out of water for. The fact that it's on the rocks is enough to damage it. I'm  not saying you have bad c&r skills. Just a bad pic to post. Try and release wild fish in water thats all. BTW  if your friends don't belive you on catching so many fish by now then they're not really friends. You're obviously a good fisherman and don't need to prove anything to them. Keep it up kid and have fun🎣

adecadelost

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 02:10:38 PM »

Great report and always great to see pics of young guns having fun.

But yes as mentioned try and keep fish in the water.  This doesn't just mean touching water.  Every shot you've posted of fish you released, shows them up on the rocks.  This does a lot of damage to fish.

It's always a learning process and you seem like you're on the fast track to becoming a serious rod so keep it up.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 04:05:07 PM »

Thanks for the interesting and fun report. 

Some nice fresh chum there, hope you threw one on the BBQ, they are great table fare when they are caught with white bellies.

Dryfly22

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 05:46:17 PM »

Hey Kyle I fished beside you breifly one morning and you are on your way my friend, it was a pleasure.  i want to bring this up again.  I rarely post, but a young guy of your skill and the amount of fish you catch could be a good example to others.  it is all about keeping the fish deep enough in the water when being released so they dont flop and bang their heads on the rocks.  Still photos never show that.  Cheers to you and everyone.  Conserve our waters.  Steelhead Season is pretty much here.  Lets take extra care and keep the wilds knee deep.

You may be killing Steelhead and not knowing it.

« on: December 05, 2013, 07:56:41 PM »

Modify

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You May Be Killing Steelhead And Not Even Know It
53 comments / Posted on November 18, 2013 / by Louis Cahill

Photo by Louis Cahill

Steelheaders are generally pretty serious about catch-and-release, but it’s likely that many are mortally wounding fish without ever knowing it.

There are few species of fish as vulnerable as wild steelhead. These fish are beset on all sides by threats both natural and man-made. With their numbers dwindling, it’s safe to say, every steelhead counts. It’s vital that those of us who fish for them practice the best catch-and-release practices.

However, common landing practices can kill fish without the angler ever knowing. A team of biologists studying steelhead in British Columbiadiscovered this problem, quite by accident. These scientists were tagging steelhead with GPS trackers. They determined that the least intrusive way to capture the fish was, well, the same way we do it. With a fly rod. They landed the fish, tagged them with the GPS device and released them. When they went to their computer to track the fish’s progress they discovered something alarming.

Within two hours many of the fish they had tagged, and released in good health, were dead. They collected the fish and performed autopsies to determine what had gone wrong. In every case the cause of death was head trauma. It turns out that ‘steelhead’ is a misnomer. The fish’s head is, in fact, its most vulnerable spot.

When landing the fish the researchers had played them into shallow water where they would be easy to tail. As the fish came into the shallows they were on longer, fully submerged. Without the resistance of the water surrounding them, their powerful thrashing was able to generate momentum that is not possible underwater. The flopping fish simply hit their heads on a rock.

The fish appeared fine when released, but their injured brains began to swell and soon they were dead. It makes perfect sense if you think about it. Fish have evolved in an environment where hitting their head on anything with enough force to cause damage is almost impossible. Their brains lack the natural protection enjoyed by terrestrial species.

Luckily, this unfortunate outcome is easily avoided. The angler has a couple of good options. Landing fish by hand in knee deep water is a little tougher but much safer for the fish. You can grab the leader to control the fish long enough to tail it. After a fish or two it will feel very natural. When possible, it’s best to use a good catch-and-release net. This is safest for the fish and easiest for the angler. A net helps you seal the deal while the fish is still fresh and requires little reviving.

Always control your fish once he’s landed. Keep his gills wet and support his head in case he makes a sudden attempt to escape. Keeping him, dorsal fin up, will keep his range of motion side-to-side, making it harder for him to injure himself. When possible keep him in deeper water. Never beach a fish when landing him and never lay him on the bank for a photo. It’s just not worth it.

Wild steelhead are a precious resource. Those of us who come to the river looking for them must lead by example and do our best to to be good stewards of these remarkable fish. Their future is, literally in our hands.

Louis Cahill
Gink & Gasoline
www.ginkandgasoline.com
hookups@ginkandgasoline.com
Share this:

TheLostSockeye

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 06:57:07 PM »

Yeah I was practicing my C and R skills today will post photo when I get home.

Also caught my first steelhead of this season today!!!! Was a hatch but I let it go you know because it's the first one of the season! No pic of it cause I was fishing a steep drop off and nowhere to land fish.

Also I'm no longer going to be posting reports here. Everything will be on Instagram. If you want reports you can also Pm me or shoot me an email.

Good luck for steelhead season everyone!!! Tight lines and bent rods!!

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 07:07:19 PM »

Could have gotten 50$ if you bonked it and brought it to freds.... but good on ya for releasing it and not stressing it out by taking longer minutes to find a place to land it.

TheLostSockeye

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 07:56:02 PM »

Hows this for C&R Skills LOL  ::) Way easier when someone is there to take a photo for me....

This also happened LOL!!!!!\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hCpvv-QtsA
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 08:05:51 PM by TheLostSockeye »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 12:55:59 AM »

Also I'm no longer going to be posting reports here. Everything will be on Instagram. If you want reports you can also Pm me or shoot me an email.

Kyle, if you are stopping because of the few feedbacks you got, then you're doing it for the wrong reason. These photos and reports are great, they keep people motivated and very entertaining for those who cannot get out.

When you put yourself out there, be it Instagram, fishing reports on the forum, YouTube, etc, you will get all sorts of feedbacks. There'll be praises, but there'll also be constructive criticisms, which should not be regarded as negativity. Dave's concerns are valid, and when someone who has decades of experience telling you that you may wish to improve on certain practice, then you should listen instead of being defensive. These people are telling you, not only because they care about the fish, but because they respect you as an angler who is willing to learn and improve. If nobody says anything, it means they no longer care, so don't let them think otherwise by doing the exact opposite. Be receptive to these comments. You already demonstrate that you are a good angler, so there's nothing to prove in that department. Show them that you're humble, and you'll gain even more respect from these peers both in the online community and at the river.

Outdoorsman

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 06:11:40 AM »

Kyle, if you are stopping because of the few feedbacks you got, then you're doing it for the wrong reason. These photos and reports are great, they keep people motivated and very entertaining for those who cannot get out.

When you put yourself out there, be it Instagram, fishing reports on the forum, YouTube, etc, you will get all sorts of feedbacks. There'll be praises, but there'll also be constructive criticisms, which should not be regarded as negativity. Dave's concerns are valid, and when someone who has decades of experience telling you that you may wish to improve on certain practice, then you should listen instead of being defensive. These people are telling you, not only because they care about the fish, but because they respect you as an angler who is willing to learn and improve. If nobody says anything, it means they no longer care, so don't let them think otherwise by doing the exact opposite. Be receptive to these comments. You already demonstrate that you are a good angler, so there's nothing to prove in that department. Show them that you're humble, and you'll gain even more respect from these peers both in the online community and at the river.

X2, well said Rod.