Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder River November 25 - 26, 2015 !  (Read 13287 times)

wizard

Re: Vedder River November 25 - 26, 2015 !
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2015, 07:22:58 PM »

I think most guys would have at least let 1 if not both of those go and try for a fresher one but some guys wouldn't...Dave does make a good point, too many fish are killed just for the roe...other baits or approaches work just as well as roe no need to kill just for the roe...poor quality chum imo comes out as poor quality smoked, good to hear you eat everything though.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2015, 07:26:35 PM »

These fish were not days from spawning LOL!
Ok maybe the one was but singles are great steelhead bait!! The other one looks dark in the photo but it's actually Chrome I just took the pic on bad angle. It had nice skiens really tight. And we are having the Chrome one for dinner tonight! Other one goes in smoker

Yes I already have a lot of bait I get that. But I just received cures from out of country and I need more roe to test this stuff out. I have 5 colours of it so I go through a lot just to even test one colour.

Yes, those fish were but days from spawning; give your head a shake if you think otherwise.
Absolutely these fish are legal and I now understand the issue ,TLS, you're killing chums for eggs to test your new cures. Got it.

Brothersage, not sure what mirror you're speaking about?

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2015, 08:08:53 PM »

Yes, those fish were but days from spawning; give your head a shake if you think otherwise.
Absolutely these fish are legal and I now understand the issue ,TLS, you're killing chums for eggs to test your new cures. Got it.

Brothersage, not sure what mirror you're speaking about?

Go Dave Go!  I've actually found the ones I get at Stupidstore fresh from the gillnet to be pretty tasty, cheaper and better than the spawned out late season fish.

ali2pali

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2015, 09:06:28 PM »

Lay off the kid already. No one out there is perfect, including those of you critiquing his photos and posts. He clearly cares about the fish and the river in general. Save your time and energy for the hundreds of others on the river who are keeping anything and everything they catch using abysmal fishing/snagging methods.
I for one enjoy all the photos and reports TLS is posting. Keep it up. It would be a shame if you stopped.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2015, 10:01:21 PM »

theres nothing wrong with keeping salmon for roe and table fare. His family enjoys eating salmon as you all can see. Its YOUR opinion those chum are past keeping. Some pics dont show clearly how fresh the fish are. If you think he is just killing fish for roe experimentation you are wrong. Nothing wrong with what kyle is doing............( sigh! )  ::) maybe we should all relax and just go fishing. Good job Kyle.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2015, 10:20:42 PM »

As long as the fish is used and not wasted what's the issue with killing it? NOTHING!

KILL KILL KILL
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

samw

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2015, 10:48:31 PM »

Haven't been compelled in the past to sign up for Instagram.  But I'm signing up to Instagram now to follow you Kyle.  :)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2015, 11:29:20 PM »

I'll just stick with FWR.

samw

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2015, 11:34:20 PM »

You may be killing Steelhead and not knowing it.

Photo by Louis Cahill

Steelheaders are generally pretty serious about catch-and-release, but it’s likely that many are mortally wounding fish without ever knowing it.

There are few species of fish as vulnerable as wild steelhead. These fish are beset on all sides by threats both natural and man-made. With their numbers dwindling, it’s safe to say, every steelhead counts. It’s vital that those of us who fish for them practice the best catch-and-release practices.

However, common landing practices can kill fish without the angler ever knowing. A team of biologists studying steelhead in British Columbia discovered this problem, quite by accident. These scientists were tagging steelhead with GPS trackers. They determined that the least intrusive way to capture the fish was, well, the same way we do it. With a fly rod. They landed the fish, tagged them with the GPS device and released them. When they went to their computer to track the fish’s progress they discovered something alarming.

Isn't the account of events in the article unsubstantiated?  There are no references to the account of events and no one knows who these biologists are.  It has been discussed here and in many forums before.  He wrote that article based on something that he "heard" from someone.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=34638.0

From the comments at the bottom of this link:

http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/steelhead/you-may-be-killing-steelhead-and-not-even-know-it/

The author states:
"I should say, I am not a scientist. That said, my practical experience backs up what I’ve been told here. If anyone reading this knows of published findings, pleas leave a comment and share what you know."

« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 11:36:54 PM by samw »

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2015, 07:51:59 AM »

That article about killing fish is hogsh!t.
Maybe Chris G can post a link to the study done on the Vedder River, where they tagged Steelhead caught using bait and monitored their survival.
The number of mortalities was very, very low and more reflects the truth about survival based on catch and release fishing for them.
I was involved with the Chehalis River broodstock program and of all the fish that were brought in during that time, I know of only 1 mortality.
This involved sticking Steelhead in a knapsack with minimal water and vertically hiking them out of canyons, we had to handle these fish far more than the average catch and release angler.

I agree with others to lay off Kyle and let him enjoy this stage of his progression as an angler. As anglers we all go through stages as we evolve. He will be given advice on different aspects of becoming a good angler on the river by experienced rods. Certainly hating on him from a keyboard by guys who don't fish enough to make themselves happy is not going to do it.

Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2015, 10:18:29 AM »

That article about killing fish is hogsh!t.
Maybe Chris G can post a link to the study done on the Vedder River, where they tagged Steelhead caught using bait and monitored their survival.
The number of mortalities was very, very low and more reflects the truth about survival based on catch and release fishing for them.
I was involved with the Chehalis River broodstock program and of all the fish that were brought in during that time, I know of only 1 mortality.
This involved sticking Steelhead in a knapsack with minimal water and vertically hiking them out of canyons, we had to handle these fish far more than the average catch and release angler.

I agree with others to lay off Kyle and let him enjoy this stage of his progression as an angler. As anglers we all go through stages as we evolve. He will be given advice on different aspects of becoming a good angler on the river by experienced rods. Certainly hating on him from a keyboard by guys who don't fish enough to make themselves happy is not going to do it.
Here you go. http://www.chilliwackwatershedstrategy.ca/Bibliography/DOCS/Nelson_et_al._2004_Vedder-Chilliwack_Steelhead.pdf

bald_seagull

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2015, 02:30:48 PM »

Keep up the good work, if you want to retain a legal fish, go right ahead.