Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder River vehicle access closure  (Read 31112 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder River vehicle access closure
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2015, 03:17:43 PM »

I don't think Chris mean that people are ok to park on river bars all over the place. But there is only one spot on C/V system with access for the physically challenged people, or specifically those on wheelchair or those can't climb up and down, and why not let them have that spot. The cars are mostly parked at the end of the road with a gentle walk on gravel down to the bar. I think only those on wheelchair or older seniors should be allowed to parked on the bar with special permit from the city.
Of course I don't think this is what should have happened there. At one time the City put up boulders there to prevent this happening but for some reason they took them out not sure if it was to let the machinery get down to the bar to take out the gravel. I did bring that to their attention at the meeting but did not get a response.

I just found the picture I took years ago of a chap fishing in this area from his wheelchair off the bar, wish I had it for the meeting, I may scan and send it to the City not that will change things.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2015, 03:54:30 PM »

You fought a good fight Chris, put this one behind you and carry on.  Don't stop advocating for anglers and their fishing opportunities ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2015, 04:36:17 PM »

You fought a good fight Chris, put this one behind you and carry on.  Don't stop advocating for anglers and their fishing opportunities ;)
Thanks, just answering some questions in this thread.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2015, 05:56:09 PM »

I haven't been there in a year and a half and it was by bicycle. The old road in has been in terrible shape and has to be taken very slowly for most vehicles. The trail goes very close to the are above the train bridge,  just behind the road and if not suitable for wheelchair access could be made so without much trouble and by foot is less than 10 minutes from the Sinclair - Hopedale road access I guess. A guide or companion could help a person in a wheel chair there without much problem I would think. FWIW I have never seen a person in a wheel chair in the area. I have however seen pickups driven right into the river and in one case one was burned there. My guess the loss of access has minimal effect. The cost of the road access clearly out weighed what ever benefit there was to the disabled community.

Personally I welcome reduced vehicle access and requirements to walk. I love the acess points that requie a 5 to 10 minute walk. This suits the the location and the activity. It also promotes healthier living which is important with an aging society. With some respect I suggest some of the advocates on this board and with local advocacy groups think in established boxes, very old boxes and are sometimes simply concerned with maintaining a status quo.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2015, 06:12:16 PM »

It also promotes healthier living which is important with an aging society. With some respect I suggest some of the advocates on this board and with local advocacy groups think in established boxes, very old boxes and are sometimes simply concerned with maintaining a status quo.
I guess a few of us are getting ready for a box of sort, hopefully more than a cardboard one. ;D ;D ;D

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2015, 08:33:51 AM »

I think the city is looking at a revenue stream here. Close off vehicle access all over the river,create general use parking areas then run shuttle buses to fishing runs. Charge $5 a head for a day pass or adopt A Compass card tap on,tap off system.

Chilliwack can become the equivalent of Vancouver with its far right "green" mentality.  :P
It ain't the roe bro'

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2015, 08:43:43 AM »

Did you even think about what you said before you typed it out?

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2015, 11:45:23 AM »

I believe that was tongue in cheek :o

96XJ

« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2015, 03:20:02 PM »

I think bigsnag is on to something , the city could hire river guides which could double as drivers and drop fishers at the hot spots , fly tying courses enroute , the possibilities are endless

nosey

« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2015, 09:49:07 AM »

A bit of a piss off for me I'm 66 yrs old with one bad hip, used to cross on the railway bridge quite often and any extra walking means a little extra pain, wvr price of progress I guess, sounds like it's a done deal.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2015, 12:30:56 PM »

A bit of a piss off for me I'm 66 yrs old with one bad hip, used to cross on the railway bridge quite often and any extra walking means a little extra pain, wvr price of progress I guess, sounds like it's a done deal.
This is what we tried to explain to them but it seemed to be a done deal before we had the meeting, sorry we were not able to be more successful, at least we tried our best as did 5 people who had written letters to them before we met, thanks to those that took the time to write in, Lew, Nick, Don and 2 others.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 12:32:40 PM by chris gadsden »

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2015, 09:48:02 PM »

Looks like the parking on Yarrow side will be crowded. LOL. I am surprised that fishing groups were not consulted on the closure of access. Not too democratic there. Perhaps organize a movement to vote out those stubborn city heads in next city election. I would do that if I were a old retiree fisherman there. Sooner of later the body will force you to fish the train bridge run, lol, but it won't be accessible by vehicle any more. Too bad.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2015, 10:38:15 AM »

FYI. Received this yesterday.

Thank you for attending the meeting on Friday, November 13, regarding the City’s decision to close the gate at Hooge Stockpile on the Vedder River. I believe we had a fulsome discussion about the benefits and disadvantages to this decision.

The outcome of the meeting and City initiatives are listed below for your information:

1.  Create a proper, gated and managed gravel parking area at the Hooge Stockpile location - completion prior to Christmas 2015.

2.  Install a trail access gate that will allow the passage of wheelchairs onto the trail.

3.  Construct two disabled parking stalls immediately adjacent to the new gate and sign as disabled parking only.

4.  In 2016, complete the trail surface construction in such a way as to allow it to be used by wheelchairs.

5.  Clear brush from the top of the river bank rock armouring in several locations in close proximity to the parking area and create fishing/standing spots that can be easily accessed by persons with mobility issues.

6.  City staff to keep in touch with Society members (Jackie Atkinson) to invite input and advice on river or trail access for persons with mobility challenges.

7.  Provide garbage receptacles and toilet facilities along this section of trail.

8. Look into Creating additional parking and river access opportunities on the south side of the river at Bergman Road and Giesbrecht Road (2016) to enhance fishing opportunities along the river.

Thanks again for coming out to the meeting. I appreciate your passion for fishing.

Warm regards,

Sharon Gaetz | Mayor |

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2015, 10:46:06 AM »

Wow. The city is going to a lot of effort and expense to maintain the accessibility of the location (and create accessible fishing opportunities at other locations), while trying to mitigate the flow of garbage. It seems to be a very balanced solution.

Kudos to the city of Chilliwack and to the stakeholders (Chris et al) who made their voices heard.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 10:47:38 AM by clarki »

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2015, 04:02:16 PM »

Good move by the city for the wheelchair folks. Does this help the old and infirm but not wheelchair bound?