Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder River vehicle access closure  (Read 31092 times)

bigsnag

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder River vehicle access closure
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2015, 05:19:23 PM »

I believe most of the garbage is from local sources I'm guessing that Chilliwack contracts residential pick up. The dumping culprits are not fishermen or recreational users of C/V. Closing access will just mean that the garbage from the dumpers that are too cheap and lazy to take it to the appropriate disposal sites will just find another secluded spot to dump garbage. 

This move will cost the city the same or more $$ to remove dumped garbage elsewhere. lastly the city will have to spend $$ to upgrade / improve access for those that are physically challenged and seniors who are now shut out from the few spots on the river that they can safely use.
It ain't the roe bro'

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2015, 06:00:59 PM »

Bottom line no vehicle should be on the river bed.  Close it!
When this was brought up I asked what about all the dump trucks, scrapers and front end loaders running all over the reparian zone and exposed gravel bars every 2 years in August for the gravel extraction projects. Donot think I got an answer. I know 2 wrongs donot make it OK but I think that does more damage than those that drive out on the bars.

As far as the garbage dumpingl issue this closure does nothing to solve that as they just dump somewhere else, we all know that for those that are out to Old Orchard, Gill, Peg Leg, Ballam Road, Chilliwack River Valley and for that matter anywhere. including any fast food parking lot.  :-[ :(

I might also add, the Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Society had taken 100 metric tonnes off the Chilliwack Vedder River watershed  since 2002.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 06:03:20 PM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2015, 06:14:01 PM »

I believe most of the garbage is from local sources I'm guessing that Chilliwack contracts residential pick up. The dumping culprits are not fishermen or recreational users of C/V. Closing access will just mean that the garbage from the dumpers that are too cheap and lazy to take it to the appropriate disposal sites will just find another secluded spot to dump garbage. 

This move will cost the city the same or more $$ to remove dumped garbage elsewhere. lastly the city will have to spend $$ to upgrade / improve access for those that are physically challenged and seniors who are now shut out from the few spots on the river that they can safely use.
They told us they spend 25 to 30 thousand a year to pick up illegally dumped garbage, I imagone that was throughtout the district.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2015, 06:18:37 PM »

gravel removal is about flood control - if you'd like the Vedder to shift back through south Chilliwack and wipe out 1/2 the city ok with me.

For me trucks parked on the bars is just unsightly - plus they screw up my back cast.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2015, 06:32:12 PM »

Thanks for your efforts to keep this access point open for all.  Did you get any feedback during or after the meeting?
I think the City had their mind made up even before we met, they had a power point to show us all the details.

5 people had sent in letters before we met wanting it left open but there was complaints from those that wanted it closed that brought this issue to the front.

I think the main thing was they wanted the Rotary Trail extended in this area and not for the walkers to have to go through the present trail as they have for several years in this area, due to safety concerns which of course is a issue these days. I mentioned some of the trail in other sections are all in the bush as well. For an example from the train bridge down through the Great Blue Heron Nature Reserve to the Salwein Gravel Pit. Not sure how that will be dealt with.

Some good news, I asked them if any other closures are in the works, for example from the Keith Wilson Bridge to the Salwein Gravel Pit on the Dyke Road, they said, no. The gravel pit is a main dumping ground and party site but the CVRCS and others try to keep this clean so this cannot be used as a reason to close it but we had done the same in the area to be closed to the train bridge come Jan. 1 2016.

So I guess it was time well spent at the meeting to know we are watching out for the anglers that have difficulty walking to some of their favotrire areas to wet a line.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 08:05:30 PM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2015, 06:33:32 PM »

gravel removal is about flood control - if you'd like the Vedder to shift back through south Chilliwack and wipe out 1/2 the city ok with me.

For me trucks parked on the bars is just unsightly - plus they screw up my back cast.
The gravel extraction is another issue but will not mix that discussion here.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2015, 07:42:09 PM »

I agree that closing the access means the people who dump their garbage there will simply find other areas. You can block access to the entire river but locals will still find a way.

ByteMe

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2015, 08:12:50 PM »

So I guess it was time well spent at the meeting to know we are watching out for the anglers that have difficulty walking to some of their favotrire areas to wet a line.

Well done Chris !!, even though I don't fish the system anymore since we moved, it's nice to know that you and the members on this board have us with mobility issues on the back of your minds, you all are indeed the next generation of anglers that will make the difference

Thanks all
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2015, 08:15:08 PM »

I am positive there was a time long ago when Inmates at the local correctional institutions would perform clean-up along areas of the river and HWY #1 for that matter.

Was it the bleeding hearts or the Unions of the districts involved that put a stop to this? On the belief that it was taking jobs away from the Union force! " that where never there in the first place"!

Anyways I feel sorry for the people that this will effect. Pigs will always be pigs! This is not the answer!

It really bothers me how people could damage an area with junk. Plus people sitting on there a$$ in a prison eating 3 square meals a day living off of tax payer money! Bring back the work gangs!

Just my 2 cents, like it or not!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2015, 10:49:58 PM »

I am positive there was a time long ago when Inmates at the local correctional institutions would perform clean-up along areas of the river and HWY #1 for that matter.

Was it the bleeding hearts or the Unions of the districts involved that put a stop to this? On the belief that it was taking jobs away from the Union force! " that where never there in the first place"!

Anyways I feel sorry for the people that this will effect. Pigs will always be pigs! This is not the answer!

It really bothers me how people could damage an area with junk. Plus people sitting on there my friend in a prison eating 3 square meals a day living off of tax payer money! Bring back the work gangs!

Just my 2 cents, like it or not!

Wow talk about off topic...:)

243Pete

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2015, 11:53:38 PM »

At one time there was signs in this area that said there was to be no camping per a bylaw but I have not noticed them for a while now so not sure what the status on that is. I should have brought it up at the meeting.

Thank you for your work Chris, I am wondering the same thing as I remember seeing signs all over about day use/ no camping in the area signs around vehicle accessed areas. Now I haven't seen any except for the portion of the main road past the Sumas bridge heading up river.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2015, 07:42:32 AM »

Mount Thurston Correctional Centre that did this work was closed in 2003. Corrections Canada Inmates still do some work along highway 1. One of the issues with this kind of work is that Inmates who can be out of the jail to perform it are no longer held in prison for more than a few days so there simply aren't that available.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2015, 07:49:23 AM »

Mr Gadsden it sounds to me like you are advocating for people who park their cars on river bars to fish. The access issue for people with disabilities is a bit of a red herring. people so disabled need better access options than driving straight onto or even into the river. Many people who drive right to the river would benefit some some regular exercise and so avoid being moderately disabled (often by obesity) later in life, this pretty much indicated by many clinical studies and is standard medical advice.

ByteMe

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2015, 09:45:56 AM »

Mr Gadsden it sounds to me like you are advocating for people who park their cars on river bars to fish. The access issue for people with disabilities is a bit of a red herring. people so disabled need better access options than driving straight onto or even into the river. Many people who drive right to the river would benefit some some regular exercise and so avoid being moderately disabled (often by obesity) later in life, this pretty much indicated by many clinical studies and is standard medical advice.

What he say??????????? ???
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2015, 12:50:13 PM »

I don't think Chris mean that people are ok to park on river bars all over the place. But there is only one spot on C/V system with access for the physically challenged people, or specifically those on wheelchair or those can't climb up and down, and why not let them have that spot. The cars are mostly parked at the end of the road with a gentle walk on gravel down to the bar. I think only those on wheelchair or older seniors should be allowed to parked on the bar with special permit from the city.