Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder River vehicle access closure  (Read 30840 times)

GENERAL-SHERMAN

Re: Vedder River vehicle access closure
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 07:52:47 PM »

Will they be "deactivating" the road by installing barriers to stop the vehicles (day and night?).

Gate already in place.they will lock it most likely. I cant see vehicle getting around it with the walking trail to the right and large trees and rocks on either side of the gate. But the idiots do seem to find a way sometimes.

wizard

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2015, 08:12:12 PM »

I don't necessarily have a problem with the closure as it should definitely address the garbage dumping issue in that immediate area, however it will undoubtedly move those problems elsewhere.

If anything it should bring awareness to many users that the garbage issue is bigger then they had realised and hopefully forces users to be more involved in caring for the resource, taking part in clean ups and trying to ensure these areas are looked after far better then they are currently otherwise these closures are inevitable and will be more widespread and common in the future...

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2015, 09:10:03 PM »

this area is polluted with ignorant pigs from June through October . This is great news imo. There is already dozens of access points directly beside the river from the canal all the way to limithole. People with severe disabilities should be fishing areas with more people to watch over them anyways(crossing to lickman) . Areas such as limit hole, prison, cedars, washout, fort apache, slesse trailer park, sections of tamahi , Osborne rd, upper Wilson area, crossing , peach lickman both sides, bergman. community area, and sections of the canal already provide excellent access to people with specific disabilities . This sounds more like a whining of a few people who don't want to walk a little.  Best news for the Chilliwack/vedder river system i'v heard in a while!

Exactly. This river has more access than any other river in the entire lower mainland. Do what needs to be done.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Tylsie

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2015, 09:31:06 PM »

this area is polluted with ignorant pigs from June through October . This is great news imo. There is already dozens of access points directly beside the river from the canal all the way to limithole. People with severe disabilities should be fishing areas with more people to watch over them anyways(crossing to lickman) . Areas such as limit hole, prison, cedars, washout, fort apache, slesse trailer park, sections of tamahi , Osborne rd, upper Wilson area, crossing , peach lickman both sides, bergman. community area, and sections of the canal already provide excellent access to people with specific disabilities . This sounds more like a whining of a few people who don't want to walk a little.  Best news for the Chilliwack/vedder river system i'v heard in a while!

Glad you know where people should fish and what is best for them. I feel so much safer. I first fished the C/V 20 years ago, but that is only a drop in the bucket for some people I know. Unfortunately the fact that have been fishing that river for so long also means that they are now in their 70s,80s, and even 90s. Access is a big issue for them. Yes they can go some of those areas you mentioned, and they do. But they should not have to. 

I guess it is times for the next generation of anglers to take over. If they deem it best to close the area so be it. 

Drewhill

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2015, 11:16:46 PM »

Areas such as limit hole, prison, cedars, washout, fort apache, slesse trailer park, sections of tamahi , Osborne rd, upper Wilson area

These areas are pretty tough for people with disabilities. Most are long walks in or they'd have to scale rocks to land fish if nobody is around.

While it's great they are doing something to prevent people from littering, the people doing this will simply just go to another part of the river and litter there. We've noticed a lot more trash in the upper this year.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 10:35:05 AM by Drewhill »

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2015, 11:23:14 PM »

Many so called accessible spots require a bit of leg works to climb down and up rocky river dyke. For example, if you park at the entrance and wish to fish the closest spot, the Bergman Run right across, you need to descend and later climb a sharp slopy dyke. For us younger guys, no sweat. We can handle a lot harder spots. But for seniors who have ankle, knee or back problems, that sort of climb will risk further injury to their fragile bodies. One fall and a few broken bones will mean serious health challenge. Not to say those who are on wheelchair. A friend of mine has a young daughter on wheelchair, and he was delighted to take her fishing at the run above the Train Bridge. But this will be gone and poor girl. What has she done to get this taken away from her? There will be more senior fishermen aging into a state where any climbing will be demanding. Should they just stay home while those of us enjoy? The city should be more understanding of people's needs, particularly aging seniors. Chilliwack is a retirement town. It should put senior fishermen a priority. Perhaps make the Train Bridge Run a designated spot for the handicapped and the seniors with special parking permits issued by the city, and make all others walk to get there. It is good for us younger guys anyway to walk for our fish.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 11:27:02 PM by Steelhawk »

243Pete

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2015, 02:16:39 AM »

I've seen tons of garbage just thrown all over the place along that section of road... it's sad to see that some people are unwilling to drive to a dump and toss out their stuff properly but instead just chuck it out for someone else to deal with.

I agree that shutting it down will just make most of the illegal dumpers and littering go else where. Sounds like what they need is more enforcement to crack down on this problem cause as stated, "I've seen more trash in the upper parts of the river this year." and I've noticed that too which is rather disturbing, picked up enough line to respool 8 pins, a collection of freezer zip lock bags and enough cups to fill stack reaching my knee. I'm not going to point fingers at anyone but I feel that if this gets worse then even more things like shutting down access sections of the river due to garbage could happen more.

Now for a quick question, what are the rules reguarding camping along that section of river? I thought that camping was illegal cause most of those areas and that area in particular was a day use only spot. Reason I ask is cause I've seen a LOT of vehicles camping during the pink run in September.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2015, 08:47:48 AM »

Many so called accessible spots require a bit of leg works to climb down and up rocky river dyke. For example, if you park at the entrance and wish to fish the closest spot, the Bergman Run right across, you need to descend and later climb a sharp slopy dyke. For us younger guys, no sweat. We can handle a lot harder spots. But for seniors who have ankle, knee or back problems, that sort of climb will risk further injury to their fragile bodies. One fall and a few broken bones will mean serious health challenge. Not to say those who are on wheelchair. A friend of mine has a young daughter on wheelchair, and he was delighted to take her fishing at the run above the Train Bridge. But this will be gone and poor girl. What has she done to get this taken away from her? There will be more senior fishermen aging into a state where any climbing will be demanding. Should they just stay home while those of us enjoy? The city should be more understanding of people's needs, particularly aging seniors. Chilliwack is a retirement town. It should put senior fishermen a priority. Perhaps make the Train Bridge Run a designated spot for the handicapped and the seniors with special parking permits issued by the city, and make all others walk to get there. It is good for us younger guys anyway to walk for our fish.
These are the points we brought up at the meeting. A few years ago I took some pictures of a angler fishing from a wheelchair in this same area you mention.
Thanks to all for posting their points of view on this thread.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2015, 08:51:59 AM »

Now for a quick question, what are the rules reguarding camping along that section of river? I thought that camping was illegal cause most of those areas and that area in particular was a day use only spot. Reason I ask is cause I've seen a LOT of vehicles camping during the pink run in September.
At one time there was signs in this area that said there was to be no camping per a bylaw but I have not noticed them for a while now so not sure what the status on that is. I should have brought it up at the meeting.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2015, 10:01:59 AM »

Close it. Too many lazy jackasses parking in the river bed (including disabled folks).

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2015, 10:32:25 AM »

These are the points we brought up at the meeting. A few years ago I took some pictures of a angler fishing from a wheelchair in this same area you mention.
Thanks to all for posting their points of view on this thread.

Thanks for your efforts to keep this access point open for all.  Did you get any feedback during or after the meeting?

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2015, 11:49:35 AM »

They are fixing a bigger problem than river access issues. People can argue and disagree all they want.  There is plenty of  fishing opportunities  between stocked urban lakes, pikeminnow from cultas and barrow town, Ice fishing on interior lakes to bar fishing and beach fishing the fraser with spoons. Bottom line no vehicle should be on the river bed.  Close it!

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2015, 12:57:17 PM »

I'm all for spawning habitat and being environmentally friendly, but what about the thousands of other vehicles that drive along the chilliwack roadways and all the way up to chilliwack lake where runoff from the road eventually makes its way into the system.
Am I missing something here?
If it's about the garbage they will just move to a new spot.

wookie

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2015, 01:53:54 PM »

Well this fall I did notice a local "regular" who seemed to know everyone down at the train bridge park of the gravel bar, drink beer and throw all of his empties out the window...in addition to sweeping out his truck on more than one occasion.  When confronted, we were threatened, so we laughed at him and told him to step out if he wanted to talk further.....but he drove off.  You've probably noticed his classy red pick up if you fished the area this fall.

I've seen this guy (and his buddy) many times down there, and everyone else watched his behavior as well but did nothing.  When we called him out on littering, most others on the river at that time either laughed or asked us to back off.  So this kind of behavior was not only ignored by many, but also supported.  Its unfortunate.....

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2015, 03:57:22 PM »

Like others posted, littering is not a train bridge issue alone. It is all over the C/V system and for that matter other systems or popular fishing locations. Do we need to shut down all roads to rivers? How about the dirt road behind Tamahi? How about the east dyke road downstream of KW Bridge? The Train Bridge location seems to be the only spot on C/V system with access to the river for those on wheelchair or senior seniors who can't walk far, not to say climb. These folks are entitled to fish just like us and they have made that spot their haven. The city should leave them alone. If anything, why not do it like all shopping malls, to reserve parking spots closest to the venue just for these special needs people and make others parked further out.