Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River Boat Launches  (Read 10946 times)

cglasgow

Fraser River Boat Launches
« on: October 01, 2015, 09:34:06 AM »

Over the last year iv been trying all the boat launches in.the lower mainland trying to find the one that works best for me, (proximity to home, dock to tie up to) and I have to say it's very frustrating and discouraging the lack of proper facilities for boaters on the fraser river, as a newbie I find it very intimidating to launch my boat in the morning with so many people waiting/watching. I find myself avoiding going out on the boat because I'm so nervous about bumping someone else's boat at the dock or make a mistake and embarrass myself at the ramp. The night before boating I stress about all the possible negative scenarios abd while I'm on the water I worry about the retrieval, almost all the launches have no where to park a truck and trailer. I'm wondering if anyone else feels the same, I realize my own anxiety issues are a factor here but I'm wondering if it's common and if others have gotten over their own fears/apprehensions. I tried to contact a local private club that has a launch, they informed me that the waiting list for club privileges is so long they don't even bother adding more names to it! What a sad unfortunate situation us boaters find ourselves in, I was perfectly willing to volunteer to help dock repairs or maintenance, and pay handsomely just for the privilege to launch and park. Not the clubs fault, just more of an issue with having a small handful of proper boat launches along 100km of river front, what can be done about this?? Am I the only one frustrated to this point can we band together to pressure municipalities, or am I overreacting and I just need to get more efficient and comfortable launching at the existing ramps, anyways thanks for reading my rant if you made it this far, tight lines!

mikeyman

Re: Fraser River Boat Launches
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 09:52:18 AM »

Yes true our boat launches r brutal...there are only a few decent ones. It is good to be nervous about it, I find it makes u prepared for the trip or if the unexpected was to happen. I don't find a need to cancel a trip because of it. Take your time and do things right. Ask for help if needed. Busy launches r a reality  close to a major city and a government who will not provide the funding.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 09:54:28 AM »

There is a shortage of launches IMO especially in the lower. Go grab a coffee and head down there (without your boat) sit back and watch on a weekend. I think you're overthinking it. Sounds like you could use more practise reversing with a trailer. Take it to an empty parking lot and practise reversing into stalls. Launching by yourself can be a little tricky at first. I think most importantly just go do it and don't give a crap about what others think about you. Who cares what strangers think of you anyways?
With practise you will become better. What drives me nuts is when guys trailer their boat, and then sit there while they strap up and put their gear away. Secure the boat on the trailer then pull off to the side. The same for launching, don't go down the launch until you're ready to launch.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 11:23:02 AM »

Just like learning to drive it takes practice.

Get a few pilons or cardboard boxes and find a parking.g lot where you can practice your drop and pick up (without dropping)
Also, bring along some one who at least has a clue.

Taking someone out who may have no idea also adds to the frustration.
(No one likes to look/Appear to be a novice but everyone was one once)
If someone is really getting in your face about it ask them to assist or STFU)

Patience with yourself and others and others with you is what's needed but there's ALWAYS gonna be the impatient guy who forgets that they were a little slow when they started.

A few trips (and fails) are needed to develop confidence.

After a bit it'll become routine.

Good luck.

Byronnn

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 12:56:26 PM »

I'm not sure where you're located or intending to launch but I was at the Old Orchard Bar a few days ago and there looks to be around 200m of gently sloping clay waterfront to launch from. I saw about a half dozen trucks with boat trailers parked along the clay banks. I don't think you'd have any issue finding a spot to launch uninterrupted.

Odd crowd in the area though. Saw some guys doing burnouts in an expensive Subaru and another guy very hungover at 11am on a Tuesday, stumbling out of his car.

cglasgow

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 04:53:59 PM »

Thanks for all the great replies everyone, I guess I'll take comfort in knowing that every time I go out it will be easier and seem like less of a nerve racking experience, all the more reason to get out as much as possible!

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 06:33:04 PM »

where abouts are you you located
lower river mid river upper river
my buddy and I can launch our boats his or mine
in under five min but that is only due to experience
we each have our own jobs be it tie downs plugs
motor down "LOOKING FOR THE DOWN RIGGERS"
might want to switch that one lol

when you have a good partner that helps a lot
you work as a team

relax is the main thing do all your loading before you hit the ramp
ramp etiquette in out quick but don't rush yourself
that's when you forget things
like the plug and yes we have all done it once :o

the parking lot and cones sounds like a good idea
build some confidence it just takes time

relax cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 08:27:18 PM »

Take your boat down to the launch in non peak hours and practice.
We have all made mistakes.
Here are a few of mine.
Launched Dad at Tsawaseen im my 16 ft Lund ,pulled him up onto the beach.Came back and the gas cans were floating in the back and Dad was just noticing water lapping at his feet.
Jumped in started it and took off and then pulled the plug to drain out what I hadn't bailed out initially.

Took new boat out for first time to Allouette Lake and buddy backed me in while I rode in the boat.
Kept getting him to back up further because the boat still wasn't off the trailer.
I then realised the trailker was floating under the boat as I hadn't undone the tie downs.

My Canoeman moment,
Launch at Rocky Point Port Moody and motor out to Pt Grey/Bell Buoy for Sockeye and when almost there I had a oh no moment.
Stopped the boat and looked to find I hadn't loaded the downriggers.DOHH!

Ive run out of gas on the Fraser more than once and there is probably more to add but I wont.
OK 1 more.
I even ran out of electricity on the Fraser. :o

cglasgow

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 09:11:38 PM »

Closest ramp is maquabeak park, I have a bigger 17ft aluminum heavy gauge boat with a wide beam so it's nice to have a dock in fact almost necessary, thanks for the honesty firstlight it's funny to look back at our mistakes, to be honest i haven't had too many problems, dead battery more than once and one near miss pulling away from a dock in shuswap. One of the first times I had ever driven a boat me and my wife decided we'd goto rocky point on a canada day long weekend, that was an awful experience, island 22 was rather hectic the fist time I launched there as well

Canyon

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 10:26:19 AM »

I find I have the same problem the only boat launches I found to be ok so far are the cheam just above the Agassiz bridge and the Harrison lake boat launch. I try to avoid the other ones because of the amount of traffic for the same reasons being a bit of a novice

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 11:15:09 AM »

Not sure why you need a dock.
You should be able to pull it onto the shore/beach without damaging it.
Ive done it with all my boats.
If worried you can allways throw an old piece of carpet down and drag it up onto that.
I used to use some pvc cut lengthwise when bar fishing.
I could drag the boat right out of the water if wanted as it slid very easily on the pvc.
4 inch is what I used.

cglasgow

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 11:25:47 AM »

The dock makes it easier for disembarking once the boat is on the beach and everyone hops in how do you push the boat off when running a prop, it's much too high sided to just hop in no problems while wearing waders, any suggestions welcomed and appreciated!!!

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 12:34:25 PM »

With no dock they either stay in the boat, get wet or you carry them.
But usually we run ashore, disembark, hold a rope (attached to the bow of the boat) while someone brings the boat trailer down.

cglasgow

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 01:14:19 PM »

Lol! Fair enough, but maybe I should rephrase my question, we arrive at the launch, get the boat off the trailer everyone climbs in while someone holds the rope on shore, then person holding the rope gets in, now everyone is in the boat the motor is raised to avoid hitting the rocks with prop, now, the motor needs to be lowered into the water and started in order to pull away from the beach but once it's loaded the boat is heavily loaded down in the rocks/sand how do you push the boat off the beach and get the motor running without obliterating the prop

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 01:26:28 PM »

Lol! Fair enough, but maybe I should rephrase my question, we arrive at the launch, get the boat off the trailer everyone climbs in while someone holds the rope on shore, then person holding the rope gets in, now everyone is in the boat the motor is raised to avoid hitting the rocks with prop, now, the motor needs to be lowered into the water and started in order to pull away from the beach but once it's loaded the boat is heavily loaded down in the rocks/sand how do you push the boat off the beach and get the motor running without obliterating the prop

Always carry a pair of oars in your boat. Use the oar and push the boat off until you are in deeper water and then slowly lower the outboard and start the motor. This will work even better if another person on the boat can help you with the 2nd oar. Ideally, you should check your electricity and gas (pump up some gas into the line and the inboard) when the boat is still on the trailer. When in deeper waters, start the engine and slowly pull back. Make sure you keep your cool during the process. If there's heavy wind/waves, you will definitely need 2 people to make this work. Always keep your eyes on other boats that might be around the launching area but don't worry too much about what other bystanders see/say. The first few times are ALWAYS tricky but as others already have said, you'll get the hang of it very soon.