Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: good walk and wade guide around Chilliwack?  (Read 3311 times)

Craig

good walk and wade guide around Chilliwack?
« on: October 08, 2015, 06:43:57 PM »

I am considering getting a guide for a walk and wade trip for Coho on the Chilliwack River. I tried the "just get out and learn" approach for Steelhead last fall and almost drown when I thought I was in safe 2.5 feet of water.

I am hoping to learn about reading the water for safe/desirable areas to wade. Fish would be nice but staying dry is my main goal  ;).

Any suggestions?

mikeyman

Re: good walk and wade guide around Chilliwack?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 08:03:03 PM »

No need to wade and walk to much for salmon...just find a good spot and let the fish come to you. Use good roe and short float it properly and you will catch fish.

Animal Chin

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 08:23:42 PM »

I believe SeaRun and Pacific Angler do walk and wades in the wack, Cody @SR and Dimitri @PA (not sure if he works there anymore). I've never used them, but know they're good guys.

If you have the coin, I'd say go for it, probably shorten the learning curve substantially. Especially if the guide is someone who fishes the river in question a lot themselves and you mesh well with. Happy hunting.

..your wading mishap sounds harrowing, I assume you were wading in fast water. I'm kinda wary about it myself, especially solo. I try not to wade too much above my knees in fast..ish..water. I also pick a landing zone on the far bank and no way I wade with fallen trees (strainers) within eyesight downstream but I guess that's common sense. If I feel sketched out I turn around very carefully and slowly and go back.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 11:25:48 PM »

Go for Coho Cody at SeaRun, he gets em.

fishtruck

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 08:13:18 AM »

I've done the guiding thing with Dimitri. He was extremely knowledgeable. What I got out of it was a better understanding on how to read different types of water. If you can get others to joins you, you can split the cost. Well worth it, just to see how the pros do things

Old Blue

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 08:53:27 AM »

x2 on Dimitri, good guy too.

Craig

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 03:53:06 PM »

Thanks to all for the recommendations.