Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River Boat Launches  (Read 10869 times)

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
Re: Fraser River Boat Launches
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2015, 01:44:03 PM »

You should.have oars.
They are a mandatory piece of boating equipment.

TNAngler

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2015, 01:45:28 PM »

I've always found it is a good idea to lift the motor so it is just barely in the water and start it before pushing off.  Make sure it is going to work so once you push off you aren't drifting free unable to get it started.  That is where most of the accidents I have seen happen at boat launches, some guy pushes out and starts pulling or turning the key but can't get it going.  They then drift into the next boat down or the next couple.

Once you are sure it is ready to start, then you can get out, give it a good push out into the water, getting in at the last minute (might get one foot wet), and then drop the motor enough to start it and back out, lowering it all the way when the water is deep enough.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2015, 02:15:59 PM »

Once you are sure it is ready to start, then you can get out, give it a good push out into the water, getting in at the last minute (might get one foot wet), ...

Good point. During the fall and winter months, I always bring my rubber booths to the boat launch. Keeps you warm and dry when launching and retrieving the boat. Other thing is that you always have a rope connected to the bow in case you need to throw it to someone on the shore for emergency retrieve.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 02:20:00 PM by RainbowMan »

cglasgow

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2015, 02:31:43 PM »

Thanks for all the replies everyone, it sounds like, like most things, experience and trial and error are the keys to success, I hope after a few years I'll have all the tools and knowledge to handle even the busiest of launches!

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2015, 08:32:30 PM »

took some gas out to another fellow today
always check your gas gauge
lol cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

arimaBOATER

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2015, 12:55:24 AM »

Had 3 boats in the last 14 years ,a 13,16 & 16 ft.
At first did have somewhat nervousness about launching & retrieval. The launches that were mainly used were the McDonald Beach boat launch & at the south end of #2 RD. Both are pay launches.
Both get rather busy at times but not so during weekdays.
Others posted great ideas & practise makes perfect.
When you arrive at a launch make your turn near the launch & drive till you get your trailer & veicle in a straight line with the ramp. Get out & ready your boat for launching.
Do the things in the same order like 1) put in the plug. 2) take off the straps 3) on & on...
This way things to do will be so automatic in your thinking.
When you start backing mainly use your left side mirror but give quick looks in the other 2 mirrors.
Backing slow is the best way. Also put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel.
If you need the trailer to move to the left as you back up then with your hand holding the bottom of the steering wheel turn your hand ( wheel ) to the left.
If you need the trailer to go to the right just turn your steering wheel to the right.
Just remember to grip the steering wheel with 1 hand at the bottom. From there turn the steering wheel.
Try to back down the ramp & try to keep the trailer about a ft to 2 ft from the edge of the dock.
When taking you boat out after coming up the ramp drive away far enough away from the area so others can use the boat ramp.
Seen too many pull their boat out of the water only to stop near the top of the ramp to put on straps on & on while others are waiting to use the ramp but can't because it's plugged up by 1 boater.
Once seen a very busy ramp & a guy backs his boat in the water only to stop & talk literally 5 minutes on his cell phone. Boats are waiting to come in & others wanting to launch !!!
One thing I did was to throw a 4x4 under my front left wheel after setting the parking brake / put in the parking gear. Just felt safer knowing the vehicle would not roll into the water if something went wrong.
Brake/transmission on & on.
Boating is really an adventure but in these waters it can be so dangerous.
Been in so many situations but in the over 14 years on the lower Fraser & Sandheads & other local waters we never never had a really serious mishap.
Mind you were in scary conditions many many many times.. Currents,standing waves,winds,vessel wake,nearly hitting logs & deadheads.
Thus keep practising ( great idea others made was to go to a launch during low usage times & use practise. Practise 1-2 hours. If you use the McDonald Beach ramp launch on the south side of the dock.
Pavement goes farther into the water on that side.

cglasgow

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2015, 07:01:22 AM »

Thanks for the Advice, A-Boater. Great tips from everyone, boating truly is an adventure and my first few years have been slightly rocky and slow going, mainly due to my hesitation and to time constraints and other commitments, its very hard to find days where i can just take off and have an entire morning to myself without my family needing me or work harassing me. In Regards to A-Boater, you sir must have a large pair if you were taking that 13 footer out to sandheads! I have been making excuses not to venture out that far yet as i still need some things on my boat that im trying to get done one thing at a time. I still only have my main motor with no kicker, i only have my one starting battery, and i also have no downriggers and i need a marine radio in case of emergencies. To me these things are essential but maybe im being tooo cautious?? seems everytime i save a few buck something comes up and my pimped out boat dreams are "dashed against the rocks"

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2015, 02:19:08 PM »

Pretty much made all the mishaps listed here.  Hip waders or tall boots help a lot.

Practice, have a routine, have a partner and take your time.  Do not rush, even when there is a line-up.  Slow and steady, its not a race.

Oh, one thing I didn't see here when I skimmed through, drop your tailgate or lift your rear hatch if so equipped.  (ensuring nothing will slide out when backing down or revving back up the launch.

Keep an extra drain plug with you.  Use a lanyard and/or floatation for your keys (or a drybag). 

arimaBOATER

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2015, 02:23:22 PM »

With our 13 & 16 ft boats we picked days with low winds & high tide days.
It's when the tide changes or high winds it gets hairy out there.
Plus on high tide days it's much easier to launch & re trailer.
A cell phone is all you need in local waters.
Seen boats that went to Sandheads or even just to Shady Island I'd be scared to be in Steveston Harbour.
Boating local waters on high tide low wind days are 100 x safer.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2015, 09:57:22 PM »

This is our first year with a "real boat" and dealing with Fraser launches, crowds, etc. A few words to the wise from things I have learned...

Probably best to take your new boat to the LAKE first before you head to the river. Best to get any logistical issues sorted out with loading, unloading or whatever here than on the mighty Fraser.

Once reasonably comfortable with your new pleasure craft, head to the river. We like to launch at Island 22, however it is pretty far from the mouth of the Vedder so lately we have been launching in the Sumas Canal.

As others have said have a routine and stick to it. For us it's pull in near the launch and ready the boat and trailer. Undo straps, put plug in, put any rods and crap from truck in the boat. Once ready wife backs the boat down and I stay in it. When motor is just deep enough I yell stop and start it up. Then turn it off.

If I'm going to drive it off the trailer I won't kill the motor, instead will get the wife to back of the winch strap and unclip boat, then I'll drive it off under power. However we have generally been just attaching a rope to the bow, pushing it off the trailer, then pulling it to shore. It's only a 16ft boat so this is not that hard for me. With a bigger boat may not work. Then everyone hops in, me last and I push off as I hop in the bow. If it's shallow/mucky we'll row out a bit before I start the motor.

A few other random thoughts....aside from some tools and common sense stuff like that I carry 5L of extra gas under the passenger seat - you never know when you or someone else might need it. Also carry some jumper cables. Considering buying a power pack in case it is us that has the dead battery and noone is around to jumpstart us. Have some other random odds and ends in a tupperware that should allow me to handle most situations.

Canyon

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2015, 08:29:36 AM »

Having just bought our first boat last year it's taking some time to rig it out good pfd's for every seat, sonar,marine radio,battery pack for boosting,rods,anchor,all the things to make the outings less stressful. Unloading and loading at the lakes was a great way to get comfortable with that . I've put a rope on the bow 19 ft just short of the full length of my boat that way it can't end up in the pump.this way it's been easy for me to load and unload by myself. I just try not to worry about what others think at least we're out there trying to enjoy ourselves.GO BIG OR STAY HOME . Play safe and be considerate of others

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2015, 08:59:04 AM »

When unloading the boat by yourself, make up a bow line that's 5ft longer then your trailer is from winch to tail. I use high strength carabiners for easy use. Attach the end to the trailer and back in until the boat just floats, bump the brakes and pull out. SLOWLY. This works great for those long shallow ramps when you're by yourself.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2015, 11:19:19 AM »

Funny story about boat launching.

Went to the Fraser boat launch at Bridgeview Marina a few years ago fishing for pinks with a newbie.

I knew he was eager to help but I didn't want him trying to move the boat in the heavy current.
I told him "don't try to move the boat, we'll do it after I park the truck".

Of course, after I park the truck, I come running back to find the boat sideways in the current and him in the water up to his neck trying to manage the boat.

I mean, there is a dock right there - just keep it pressed up against the dock & I'll fire it up and we'll drive away. But no...