Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 469486 times)

dobrolub

Saw some fresh chum caught today down river; C/R ed a wild coho.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?

went out this afternoon above the crossing. trekked along the river for about 2km until i found a pool loaded with trees from the highwater last week . water was clear so i approached the pool slowly and drop shotted a jig just along the drowned trees. 2 casts later beached a nice 6lb hatch coho. called it a day and headed back. last trip before the rains start again. Water has dropped significantly and most pools earlier this week that held coho are drying up. Still plenty of late chum trying to spawn out there.

VirtualFisher

went out this afternoon above the crossing. trekked along the river for about 2km until i found a pool loaded with trees from the highwater last week . water was clear so i approached the pool slowly and drop shotted a jig just along the drowned trees. 2 casts later beached a nice 6lb hatch coho. called it a day and headed back. last trip before the rains start again. Water has dropped significantly and most pools earlier this week that held coho are drying up. Still plenty of late chum trying to spawn out there.

Nice fish redtide. It was a pleasure to know you.  Thank you for giving me good tips on how to twig a jig properly,  and showing me the pool where you got a steelhead on Wednesday  ;).   Next time I will buy a brown and green jig and give it a try. 

I headed to lower river after you left and hooked into two very fresh chrome chums using #3 colorado copper blade.  I released both fish.

cas

hey what kind of fish is this it kind of looks like a steelhead? It was gently released after the photo.

Quite possibly a bit random as this was posted back in early October, but something that should not go unnoticed. I happened to come across this randomly scrolling... Regardless if you actually caught this fish LostSockeye, or you found it, this fish is most certainly dead, and is most certainly a Steelhead. This is something that should not go unnoticed for many anglers who have not pointed out that it is in fact a Steelhead. I am not trying to stir the pot, but this is something quite important to bring up considering the time of year this fish was in a system it was most likely not destined for, but more so a system much further up the Fraser. Just a heads up.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 04:29:41 PM by cas »

Shinny

Quite possibly a bit random as this was posted back in early October, but something that should not go unnoticed. I happened to come across this randomly scrolling... Regardless if you actually caught this fish LostSockeye, or you found it, this fish is most certainly dead, and is most certainly a Steelhead. This is something that should not go unnoticed for many anglers who have not pointed out that it is in fact a Steelhead. I am not trying to stir the pot, but this is something quite important to bring up considering the time of year this fish was in a system it was most likely not destined for, but more so a system much further up the Fraser. Just a heads up.

You have been registered on FWR for over a year and decide that your first post would this? Quoting a thread from over a month ago and obviously trying to stir somethings up?  :o :o

Trollllllllllll
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 05:05:51 PM by Shinny »

Floater

• Old Timer

::) steelhead and spring are one of the same it seems.
[

cas

My post was not went to be considered trolling, but more so informative as it was glanced over by many anglers, and it is important to know what we are fishing for when we are out there. In this case, improper fish ID was used. Regardless, I am not pointing fingers at anyone, but simply implying the correct species. It is a Wild Steelhead which looks deceased, (for more than just a few minutes as well). Like I said, no finger pointing here, just being informative. Also to add, not being an active member, this is something I happened to come across and thought it would be helpful to point out to newer anglers. Cheers.

Sandman

• Old Timer

My post was not went to be considered trolling, but more so informative as it was glanced over by many anglers, and it is important to know what we are fishing for when we are out there. In this case, improper fish ID was used. Regardless, I am not pointing fingers at anyone, but simply implying the correct species. It is a Wild Steelhead which looks deceased, (for more than just a few minutes as well). Like I said, no finger pointing here, just being informative. Also to add, not being an active member, this is something I happened to come across a  nd thought it would be helpful to point out to newer anglers. Cheers.

So you are also suggesting that the Original Poster (OP), who said he gently released it after the photo, was lying? :-\
Not all those who wander are lost

milo

• Old Timer

Hi Cas, and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for bringing this picture back up. It has been haunting me since October.
I wouldn't call that fish a steelhead without seeing the tongue. If we could see a white tongue there would be no argument.
But with a black mouth, white gums, scattered spots, indented tail, caught mid-October in the Vedder...I called it a wild coho back in October and would probably do it again. ???

What irrefutable steelhead marker do you see that I don't? (Please don't say the spotting on the tail because I have seen several coho with fully spotted tails).
Maybe the number of rays in the anal fin? Hard to judge how many from that pic.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. Don't be hard on the Lost Sockeye. He's a great kid. If he says the fish was gently released, then it was. Dead or alive, but gently released. ;)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 07:24:36 PM by milo »

big_fish

• I'm a llama!

Like I pointed out earlier, that fish is definitely dead, without a doubt. I'm not sure why so many of you with plenty of experience, choose to ignore it conveniently. If you've caught and retained enough salmon and steelhead, you'll know it is dead.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer

I too thought the fish looked like a steelhead however my question of tongue color was never answered to confirm or deny my assumption. Too many know it alls on the forums who need to spend more time on a river and less time on their keyboards. The fish looks dead for a length of time due to the marks just to the left of the eye and to the left of the gill plate from laying on the rocks. It's as if the fish was rolled over to have the pic taken and the side in the pic was originally laying down in the water. The death stare doesn't make the fish too lively either  ::)
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

cas

Without being ignorant, this fish is dead. I am not implying the OP had caught the fish, but otherwise maybe found the fish or such. But without a doubt, this is a deceased fish. The discolouration on the upper part near the head shows the fading area on the scales, as well as the fishes appearance of being quite stiff with a straight eye, and open jaw.

Secondly, ID wise, the tail is a dead giveaway with the tail rays/calcium deposits, as well the spotting, squareness to the tail. Along with that you get your features throughout the fish that it is without doubt a Steelhead. Spotting on the dorsal, across the body, the lateral line, and near the head.

Rather than trying to stir the pot, this is important information to note for newer anglers who an unaware that by-catches do happen when least expected, and that it is important to know your fish ID, regardless if this fish died of natural causes or was killed. Judging by the proportions of the fish and the time of the year, this was most likely a stray Interior Summer Fish.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 07:11:54 PM by cas »

Dave

• Old Timer

Tough, tough call as to species.  No visible periphyton on the rocks which makes me think this fish is from a coastal river. Not a chinook in my opinion and does look troutish, especially the fat belly.
The two spots, one on the operculum and the other just back look like the fish has been indented by being placed on gravel.  I agree with Cas, this is a dead fish.

milo

• Old Timer

Tough, tough call as to species. 

Thanks Dave. If you as a fish biologist can't positively ID it, I don't feel so bad anymore.  ;D

Dave

• Old Timer

Not a bio Milo, just a grunt technician ;D