Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 469718 times)

ali2pali

As for the fishing.... River is pretty clear. I'd estimate visibility to be around 5 feet (at least where I was fishing).  I fished all morning, moving around a lot, and finally was rewarded with a nice 'ho doe. Haven't caught many this year, so today's result was quite satisfying.

ByteMe

In all honesty, I would have thought it was a coho  :-[........back to the drawing board for me for better fish ID
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

mykiss

• Canadian Aquatics

So.....anyways, not that proper fish ID is not important, but can we please get back on topic?

So, how's the river looking today anyone?
Here fishy fishy......

www.canadianaquatics.com

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

So.....anyways, not that proper fish ID is not important, but can we please get back on topic?

So, how's the river looking today anyone?
See post above. "As for the fishing.... River is pretty clear. I'd estimate visibility to be around 5 feet (at least where I was fishing).  I fished all morning, moving around a lot, and finally was rewarded with a nice 'ho doe. Haven't caught many this year, so today's result was quite satisfying."

milo

• Old Timer

In all honesty, I would have thought it was a coho  :-[........back to the drawing board for me for better fish ID

Byte me, don't feel too bad. This fish fooled many of us; just not everyone is willing to openly admit it.
With new information posted, we all should get better at ID-ing a steelhead among salmon, especially coho.
The lesson to take home is if you have the slightest doubt as to the species, let it go unharmed. This applies to
 both clipped and unclipped fish. Many a clipped Cultus lake sockeye have met with their demise at the hands of anglers thinking they were killing a hatchery coho.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?

soooooo...once again back to topic. Was out this morning and water was clear with lots of visibilty. Nice and warm as well close to 12 this afternoon. Hooked 3 coho but only 1 decided to stay for dinner. My first december coho ever. Hiked almost 4km from crossing and above twitching black/purple  bent rod jigs and mr twister tails.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

Nice cutting board.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

I especially like the butterfly note pad. It gives the picture more of an outdoorsy theme.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?

i like to makes notes before cutting a fish.. ;D

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer

Hey redtide.  That fish looks suspiciously like the one in your "avatar"?  I wonder if you keep the same fish and take it out for a photo every year?  LOL.  OK - just kidding.  Nice fish!   ;D

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?

hey flyfishingmagician...that avatar was from a local river in surrey a few years ago. One thing i did notice is that the coho so far seem to be all the same size and same average weight. Caught nothing over 10lbs this year and all look somewhat malnurished or under fed as opposed to the coho last year which had good weight and size. My average last year was 9-12lbs. This year 4-7lbs. Very few large males in the hatchery as well. Even the males i retained were small or undersized for the vedder. :-[ Wonder if other anglers noticed it this year.

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!

hey flyfishingmagician...that avatar was from a local river in surrey a few years ago. One thing i did notice is that the coho so far seem to be all the same size and same average weight. Caught nothing over 10lbs this year and all look somewhat malnurished or under fed as opposed to the coho last year which had good weight and size. My average last year was 9-12lbs. This year 4-7lbs. Very few large males in the hatchery as well. Even the males i retained were small or undersized for the vedder. :-[ Wonder if other anglers noticed it this year.

yes,
 all fish i caught were around 3-7 lbs being the biggest !!!

islanddude

The coho that returned to the Campbell Quinsam system this fall where of nice size. My friend told me about a couple of wild ones in the 18-20 lbs range. I had a fair amount of fish 10-14 lbs.
 Monday of last week I released a steelhead 20 lbs. or better. There had been reports of a few fish in the 5-7 lbs. range. I got two the next day about that size and lost one today, small also.
 Lots of the coho forage fish have disappeared from the ocean in the last couple of yrs. along with a lot of the plankton. 
 The pinks that returned to this system where a lot smaller than the previous years.The predicted run size was about a third of what the where expecting. The chinook return was poor also with the hatchery getting barely enough fish for their egg take. Last yr. they didn't get their egg expectation for chinook
 The hatchery is only putting out 500,000 cohos smolts this coming yr. due to the dramatic increase in the price of feed for the fish over the last few yrs. Less biomass as sardines, pilchards,herring, anchovies? More demand from the plague of fish farms?
 A lot of the sea mammals are in trouble too with whales, seals,and die off of birds that are unprecedented.
 Quite a few web sites are pointing their finger at the uncontrollable discharge of radiation into the Pacific Ocean from Fukushima Daiichi the nuclear plant that was destroyed by the earthquake and tsunami in March 11/2011. They say this disaster is poisoning the whole Pacific ocean.
 This radiation is only going to bio-accumulate in the food chain and we are at the top of this chain. What this is going to do to us only time will tell.
 There is a court case going right now with Dan Durnford. His web page is The Nuclear Proctologist.org or google it. He has some very interesting pictures and research done over the last yr. I think you will find it shocking.
 Tights lines

Tylsie

The coho that returned to the Campbell Quinsam system this fall where of nice size. My friend told me about a couple of wild ones in the 18-20 lbs range. I had a fair amount of fish 10-14 lbs.
 Monday of last week I released a steelhead 20 lbs. or better. There had been reports of a few fish in the 5-7 lbs. range. I got two the next day about that size and lost one today, small also.
 Lots of the coho forage fish have disappeared from the ocean in the last couple of yrs. along with a lot of the plankton. 
 The pinks that returned to this system where a lot smaller than the previous years.The predicted run size was about a third of what the where expecting. The chinook return was poor also with the hatchery getting barely enough fish for their egg take. Last yr. they didn't get their egg expectation for chinook
 The hatchery is only putting out 500,000 cohos smolts this coming yr. due to the dramatic increase in the price of feed for the fish over the last few yrs. Less biomass as sardines, pilchards,herring, anchovies? More demand from the plague of fish farms?
 A lot of the sea mammals are in trouble too with whales, seals,and die off of birds that are unprecedented.
 Quite a few web sites are pointing their finger at the uncontrollable discharge of radiation into the Pacific Ocean from Fukushima Daiichi the nuclear plant that was destroyed by the earthquake and tsunami in March 11/2011. They say this disaster is poisoning the whole Pacific ocean.
 This radiation is only going to bio-accumulate in the food chain and we are at the top of this chain. What this is going to do to us only time will tell.
 There is a court case going right now with Dan Durnford. His web page is The Nuclear Proctologist.org or google it. He has some very interesting pictures and research done over the last yr. I think you will find it shocking.
 Tights lines

I apologize for the derail, but "bio-accumulation"? That is not how radiation works. I make my living using radiation. Once the source is removed so is the radiation. If a herring is exposed to radiation, then eaten by a coho, which is then eaten by a person the person is not exposed to any radiation. I agree that the fish are, on average, smaller this year but I think that is the result of a large number of factors. The warm water we had of the coast this year no doubt hindered salmon growth, there is also studies going on regarding the unprecedented number of pink salmon released in Alaska and how they might be over grazing (for lack of a better term) the plankton that many other fish, including sockeye, herring, and such eat. Although I have found the number of fish this year to be fairly high there lack of weight concerns me.   

islanddude

I respect your opinion. What line of work are you involved in?