Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: pinks  (Read 15431 times)

ynot

• Old Timer
Re: pinks
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 08:11:12 PM »

I only use 2inch or 1.5 inch pink buzz bombs from the beach, I retrieve quite fast and never jerk the rod, I have caught lots and have lost no buzz bombs.

Freshman2013

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 09:29:54 PM »

Went to Ambleside / river mouth again at 8 am.  Seeing many old buddies ready to leave with 3-4 on hands.  Guess they started at 5:30 am

Peak tide at 10:30. In 4 hrs only 4 fishes landed among 30 fishermen casting Buzzbomb and jigs while lots of fishes jumping in clear water.  Just don't understand why pinks/coho were not eager to bite when they definitely see all lures.  Maybe early morning is the key ?  Fishes were stuck at river mouth because river is super shallow.  Is it partial reason ?

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 09:40:08 PM »

Here's a great thread (SEARCH function works wonders!) on using a buzz bomb for pinks (and in general)...

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=33238.msg315638#msg315638
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 09:41:50 PM by scouterjames »
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

juno

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2015, 07:38:37 PM »

we were, last 2 years ago fishing for pinks  in the tidal portion for pinks, 3 of us, 100 + casts no fish  next to us was this guy , he kept hooking fish and landing them and letting them  go I asked him, not right away, what's up? he already had his limit  but all males, finally  I caught a pink female, and he asked to trade a male for female . He wanted the eggs. No problem    he gave us 2 males    any way  I wanted to know  what he was using . I couldn't resist any more want to know? ask Rodney for  spoons!!!     what we  got was  a gold spoon  with a pink   center or tape or Nail polish   it worked. I am Exited to see an opening    slow retrieve  OH I am not allowed to give  secrets out

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2015, 08:08:18 PM »

If you absolutely want PINKS ... RIGHT NOW:

Go up to the Squamish (When tide is coming in...)
Go to the Mamquam (Anytime)

(FRESH WATER LICENSE ... and OPEN)

Not as "Fresh" as the ocean fish (Furry Creek / Ambleside etc.)  but still great catching.

* Really good in the VERY EARLY MORNING (EARLY!)

(TIDAL LICENSE... and OPEN)

Here's a little video I did with my brother when he was in town last week.

https://youtu.be/I96favF5rBI

Perfect example of bad information !!! the river I bolded and blew up is currently closed to fishing

Squamish is very good right now. Just float some pink or chartreuse wool under a float and you'll get fish, yes you may accidentally snag some but it happens when they are in thick schools.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

hrenya

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2015, 08:15:28 PM »

Perfect example of bad information !!! the river I bolded and blew up is currently closed to fishing

Squamish is very good right now. Just float some pink or chartreuse wool under a float and you'll get fish, yes you may accidentally snag some but it happens when they are in thick schools.
:D yeah , that`s right , wool and its color very very important :))))))))

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2015, 08:20:13 PM »

:D yeah , that`s right , wool and its color very very important :))))))))

Just stating that it really can be that simple, especially when the fish are in good numbers. My 6yr old fished a jig today while my dad and I fly fished. We all got tons of fish today in the 3hrs we were there.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

TimL

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2015, 11:14:05 AM »

Was out in the Sechelt area of the Sunshine Coast the past 2 days. Pinks are running strong right now...most aren't taking traditional lures  from the beaches though. I was out beach fishing at one of the creek mouths at low tide...lots of fish close to shore but very few were interested in buzz bombs or spoons. 2 of us gear fishermen weren't getting much besides snagged fish.The fly fishermen were having loads of luck though. I had a couple of hookups using a pink curly tail (but lost) and snagged and lost a few more..had 1 female snagged and landed..( released of course). It was definitely an amazing place to fish...few people around and plenty of fish and..other wildlife- saw  grey whales on both days I was there. Did some pier fishing as well for bottom fish and brought home 6 soles.

ejeffrey

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2015, 04:04:01 PM »

TimL, thanks for your report. I'm heading there next weekend for a camping trip. I've never been there, let alone fished there. I guess I'll bring the fly rod along and check out the beach scene. I'll arm the wife with a spinning rod. So, is low tide the time to go?

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2015, 04:34:06 PM »

Blair, perhaps the bragidose enlarged bold print stood out more than the date.
I realize you were trying to be helpful but you must remember this an OPEN forum where every dog and its master has access and most won't read the Regs and updates anyways.
All they want is a place to snag fish.
One can explain their exploits without telling where or they can find a bunch of pretend friends.
Info is awesome but very few actually appreciate it.
It's often abused.
Keep telling of your adventures but be wary of how you tell it.
(All the newbies get their crap in a knot now cuz they might have to do some ground work themselves)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2015, 09:13:54 PM »

I have been on the Squamish a lot this year and I have not seen any obvious attempts at snagging or any other unethical behavior for that matter.

Very different experience to what I have seen on the Vedder and I find it puzzling as to why it should be so different but it is gratifying to see.

Of course, as others have stated, it is sometimes hard to avoid foul hooking them when they have been stacked in the river.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 09:15:57 PM by fishseeker »

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2015, 10:59:27 PM »

fishseeker - the fishing behaviour that I've noticed on the Squamish vs. the Mamquam has been very different.  The Squamish has always been a more pleasant river to fish, and has a high number of fly fishers who need a bit more room to fish.  The gear guys have been good too.  The Mamquam, on the other hand, has been full of people with "Canadian Tire" specials with no waders - so they don't get into the water to release their fish.  I for one am glad the Mamquam has been closed to fishing, as the fish stacked in there are almost all spawners and dinner plate specials.

I fished the Squamish yesterday and had a great morning with the switch rod.  But at around noon a guy came in and just moved in between myself and another fly fisher below me.  I warned him that he was too close and I didn't want to hit him when I executed my snap T or circle C.  The response?  "This is nothing - you should see what it's like on the Fraser".  He proceeded to set-up a float with a bouncing betty and 7 foot leader.  All I can say is I didn't see any people like him the whole season until yesterday - the first day the Mamquam closed.

Things actually worked out OK.  I did almost hit him as his rod was right over my line when I needed to begin my cast.  He did move down and I told him to ask the angler down stream if it was OK.  He did time his cast with mine.  He also managed to hook and land a very ripe dark doe, which he killed.  I didn't see him hook another fish.  In that time, I hooked and released several bright fish on the fly on a full floating line in 1 - 2 feet of water.  I then called it quits just after noon.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 11:01:16 PM by FlyFishin Magician »

TimL

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2015, 11:05:41 PM »

TimL, thanks for your report. I'm heading there next weekend for a camping trip. I've never been there, let alone fished there. I guess I'll bring the fly rod along and check out the beach scene. I'll arm the wife with a spinning rod. So, is low tide the time to go?
I went on an early morning low and there were many schools of fish swimming in very shallow water just a few meters from shore but few would take a lure. There was more action as the tide came in later in the morning...do watch out for the seals too- they can come quite close to shore within casting distance. Also check out the evening outgoing tides as well...one of the local fly guys told me he had success fishing the evening before, which I recall was a slow outgoing tide.

mvelasco

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2015, 08:04:20 AM »

Was out there last week and fished the mam below the train bridge for a bit. Had a newbie with us so we had to teach him the basics and the difference between how a snagged fish fought and a legit hook fought. He picked it up quickly and released his snags cautiously. Needless to say we left that area and moved below the confluence for some fresher fish. I'm happy the mam closed because it was dangerously low and I happened to foul hooked a beautiful Chinook that luckily broke off my line. Pink season is a great time to teach the proper ethics to newbies. Unfortunately when the Vedder has its run it becomes a way different environment.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2015, 09:21:25 PM »

fishseeker - the fishing behaviour that I've noticed on the Squamish vs. the Mamquam has been very different.  The Squamish has always been a more pleasant river to fish, and has a high number of fly fishers who need a bit more room to fish.  The gear guys have been good too.  The Mamquam, on the other hand, has been full of people with "Canadian Tire" specials with no waders - so they don't get into the water to release their fish.  I for one am glad the Mamquam has been closed to fishing, as the fish stacked in there are almost all spawners and dinner plate specials.

I fished the Squamish yesterday and had a great morning with the switch rod.  But at around noon a guy came in and just moved in between myself and another fly fisher below me.  I warned him that he was too close and I didn't want to hit him when I executed my snap T or circle C.  The response?  "This is nothing - you should see what it's like on the Fraser".  He proceeded to set-up a float with a bouncing betty and 7 foot leader.  All I can say is I didn't see any people like him the whole season until yesterday - the first day the Mamquam closed.

Things actually worked out OK.  I did almost hit him as his rod was right over my line when I needed to begin my cast.  He did move down and I told him to ask the angler down stream if it was OK.  He did time his cast with mine.  He also managed to hook and land a very ripe dark doe, which he killed.  I didn't see him hook another fish.  In that time, I hooked and released several bright fish on the fly on a full floating line in 1 - 2 feet of water.  I then called it quits just after noon.
Thats interesting.  I was out there yesterday too and I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of crowding where me and a friend of mine were fishing.  Heaven knows why anybody would bother using a bouncing betty technique on that river - I imagine they would see other techniques doing so much better they would give up on that approach pretty fast.

I have only fished the catch and release sections of the Mamquam when it was open.  Never really bother with below that CN bridge because it attracts too many crowds - maybe that is just the most obvious and easiest spot to get to.   When I was starting out there that is where I went simply because i didn't know my way around.

I would think anybody coming to the Squamish would learn a little better how it should be done.  The Vedder has got to be the worst place for newbies and I can honestly say that from experience - when I was starting out fishing here there were so many people telling me I had to get it down as deep as possible or that long leaders were crucial for catching chums - I knew that had to be wrong at the time but it really is an unfortunate place to learn the ropes.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 09:31:21 PM by fishseeker »