Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: pinks  (Read 15430 times)

juno

pinks
« on: August 18, 2015, 09:18:12 PM »

does anybody know if there will be an opening for PINKS.  I understand the Sockeye closure but they  are hard to  catch casting. we have  all been waiting  for 2 years and now what?

TheFishingLad

Re: pinks
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 09:25:02 PM »

Now we fish lakes.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 10:22:05 PM »

I think many people are thinking that pink will open when most sockeye are past.

There may also be other places to fish pink than the Fraser...

Freshman2013

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 11:21:34 PM »

Lots and lots of pinks jumping on tidal Capilano river mouth.  Just park the car at the furthest end of Ambleside beach near river mouth, but the bridge traffic really sucks

Lots of fishermen there but one could easily find a spot.  Many including me quited after no fish was caught in 2-3 hours but a few had 4 fishes on stringer.  They use buzzbomb.  An old guy snagged one by the fish belly.  I told him that was snagging but he pretended did not understand English and packed the fish away in a min.  Recommend wader or simply a short and slipper.

Buzz Bomb are most popular.  I used bright pink spinner and spoon but no bite at all.  Wrong lure ?

243Pete

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 12:30:34 AM »

Buzz Bomb are most popular.  I used bright pink spinner and spoon but no bite at all.  Wrong lure ?

Try slowing down your presentation a little bit, sometimes when I feel small taps or a big bump, I'll almost totally stop my retrieve and BANG. I've been using the same bubble gum pink spoon since early July and it's proved to be deadly. :)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 09:12:35 AM »

Maybe I need a different rod for buzz bombs, but I've found the repeated yank and retrieve makes my hands really sore. Never seen a hint of action on one either, but I would not be surprised if I wasn't doing it quite right. The two pinks I caught this year were on dead slow retrieve.

ShaunO

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 09:36:52 AM »

I'm not a fan of buzzbombs for Pinks, rather I have had lots of luck using Croc spoons from Gibbs Delta.  There are many different colours, sizes and finishes that will work for Pinks.  It all depends on the water and the rod & reel setup you have.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 09:57:21 AM »

The Fraser River pink salmon run doesn't really start until the end of August. If you look at the test fisheries at Cottonwood from the past four or five pink salmon seasons, you'll see that the first large catch usually occurred around the first few days of September.

Keep an eye on the fishery notices, or just on this website since they'll be posted up right away, for the Fraser River salmon reopening as we get closer to the end of this month. Reopening date will depend on the summer run sockeye run timing. Once resource managers determine that most of the summer run passes the Lower Fraser River, it should reopen.

243Pete

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 11:07:25 AM »

Maybe I need a different rod for buzz bombs, but I've found the repeated yank and retrieve makes my hands really sore. Never seen a hint of action on one either, but I would not be surprised if I wasn't doing it quite right. The two pinks I caught this year were on dead slow retrieve.
For buzz bombs I find a little stiffer/ faster action rod works best. The pull and drop or pitch and drop technique works really well, usually I just pull up fast and let the buzz bomb fall for a couple moments. Ussually the strikes are on the fall of the lure so there will be a sudden THUD or yank on the rod. I've found buzz bombs to work best when the water conditions are murky and if the area has a sudden steep drop.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 02:13:08 PM »

Thanks!

Yet another rod, eh? ;)

TimL

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 09:59:42 PM »

For buzz bombs I find a little stiffer/ faster action rod works best. The pull and drop or pitch and drop technique works really well, usually I just pull up fast and let the buzz bomb fall for a couple moments. Ussually the strikes are on the fall of the lure so there will be a sudden THUD or yank on the rod. I've found buzz bombs to work best when the water conditions are murky and if the area has a sudden steep drop.
I'm also trying to figure out how to work buzz bombs and have lost all of mine after getting snagged up on the bottom  :-X I think I'm gonna try a faster retrieval (at least with a shorter drop time) when fishing in shallow water (i.e. beach fishing) next time. The nice thing about buzz bombs is that you can cast much further with them (since they are heavier) than spoons/spinners..a big plus if you are fishing off a beach and want to get your lure out to a school of feeding fish that may be out of casting range for a spoon or spinner.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 10:15:56 PM »

I'm not a fan of buzzbombs for Pinks, rather I have had lots of luck using Croc spoons from Gibbs Delta.  There are many different colours, sizes and finishes that will work for Pinks.  It all depends on the water and the rod & reel setup you have.
Me too,  I have got them on all kinds of presentations but the crocs have worked really well for me in all kinds of colors.  (The red one with black flakes was particularly deadly last season )  The problem with the buzz bombs is they are heavy and the slow retrieve required for pinks just gets them snagged up on the bottom much of the time.

243Pete

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 11:36:21 PM »

Thanks!

Yet another rod, eh? ;)
No problem!
Another rod never hurts, I've got 2 spinning rods for cohos and pinks (Shimano Clarus and a Convergence) but I'm loving the light action of the clarus especially when hooking into a large male. Big bend and that little Shimano Sahara 2500 sings a beautiful tune. :)

I'm also trying to figure out how to work buzz bombs and have lost all of mine after getting snagged up on the bottom  :-X I think I'm gonna try a faster retrieval (at least with a shorter drop time) when fishing in shallow water (i.e. beach fishing) next time. The nice thing about buzz bombs is that you can cast much further with them (since they are heavier) than spoons/spinners..a big plus if you are fishing off a beach and want to get your lure out to a school of feeding fish that may be out of casting range for a spoon or spinner.

That is the one problem I've found with buzz bombs, if the area where you are fishing on the beach is more flat and doesn't have a steep drop off then you will snag the bottom a LOT. So far this year I've found over a dozen buzz bombs at Furry creek at the lowest tide stuck on just the ground. =\ A faster retrieve will help but just note that pinks are more slower/ lazy than coho when it comes to following lures at time, but that is to say that this isn't always the rule as I've seen pinks slam fairly fast retrieved spoons and buzz bombs.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 10:24:22 AM »

Well, I donated the last of my spoons last night as well as breaking my rod tip.

Off to As&N with me...

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 06:35:21 PM »

I'm also trying to figure out how to work buzz bombs and have lost all of mine after getting snagged up on the bottom/quote]

the idea of a buzz bomb is to cast out pull up on the rod then drop the tip allowing the lure to create the buzz, repeat while retrieving the slack line.
not really meant for shallow fishing,
but if you do, Light gear and small buzz bombs :) just give it a side jerk now and then as you wind in 8)