Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Purchasing fishing licenses at sporting goods store  (Read 17043 times)

smokin joe

Purchasing fishing licenses at sporting goods store
« on: July 31, 2015, 08:25:14 PM »

Was wondering if anyone else is being charged extra to purchase your fishing licenses at a store instead of on line. I purchased my tidal and non tidal lic. with salmon tags at Hub sports in Abbotsford and was charged an extra $5.85 for the two. When asked why the price is higher than listed they said its because they make no money when they sell these licenses so added the extra on because of that. In the past I have never paid extra at any other store and was just wondering if this something new to all the stores or just this one.

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
Re: Purchasing fishing licenses at sporting goods store
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 08:59:12 PM »

Working at a retailer that sell licences, I can say first hand that they can be a pain in the my friend. All retailers understand that it's a service that needs to be provided, however we make like $0.10 per licence. Last year alone our store issued over 2000 tidal sport fishing licences. Each licence takes about 5 minutes, that's roughly 167 hours of manpower sitting at the computer issuing licences. Just say the employee was making $10.00/hour, you're paying $1670 to make $200. I can see why Hubs is charging a service fee from a retail perspective.

smokin joe

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 09:15:23 PM »

Nexusgoo does your store charge extra for the licenses? I never asked about how much they do or don't make I just wanted to know if other stores are doing the same.

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 09:42:28 PM »

ahh as of right now we don't haha

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 09:52:50 PM »

As far as I am aware of, none of the stores which advertise on our site charge an extra fee for issuing a fishing licence. Like NexusGoo mentioned, the store does not make any money when issuing these licences, in fact it costs them money, but most stores understand that it is an investment as the customers who buy the licence will most likely be spending money at the stores as well.

zacrum

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 10:06:13 PM »

If you go to the website it says they can charge extra

Zackattack

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 10:26:55 PM »

Berry's flat out refused to do my license, very rudely in fact, even though I was also there making another purchase and on my way to fish right after!
Will not be shopping there again.

VA7DDP

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 12:00:22 AM »

I can vouch for Army & Navy, we DO NOT charge an additional fee.

Provincial Government (Non Tidal) does give us a small kick back.

Federal Government (Tidal) does NOT give us a kick back.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 07:42:05 AM »

a few years back Berry's charged my buddy 2 dollars to print his license , he wont go shopping there again.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 09:20:54 AM »

--We all just got finished complaining about Government taking a cut in to general revenue... they now claim to be puting all license fees into fisheries... still scooping the tax I am sure.
--Stores claim be be concurned about supporting the fishery so they should be on board with this...service.
--How much would one advert in the paper cost telling everyone how important the fishery is and that they support many worth while projects.
--How about supporting license sales thus directly increasing their buisiness.
--The guy at the counter is getting all kinds of intel on what and where you are going to fish. You get a salmon tag and after they print the license they should have enough brains to show you the latest and greatest gear...after all you've already got your wallet out.

--Want to make a few bucks... why not sell a water proof license holder with the store name on it instead of demanding cash for the service... sell them something.
--They buy a shuswap tag...sell them a back roads map book for the area... refer them to a fishing lodge or motel that gives you referal business.

--Get your license here and recieve 10% off purchase of none sale items in the store... day of licenese purchase only... or if you must.... post a charge for printing... with notice no charge when combined with other purchases.
--Why not print the license with store advertising on the blank side of the license...the  costs could be written off as part of your advertising budget.

--Why is a store ticked off that someone is sending them a customer.

fishtruck

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 02:11:29 PM »

Rod: Firstlight tackle in BBY charged my brother in-law $5 for his salt water license earlier this year. He didn't even know until I told him.

VA7DDP

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 11:44:38 PM »

Rod: Firstlight tackle in BBY charged my brother in-law $5 for his salt water license earlier this year. He didn't even know until I told him.

This was extracted from the NRLS Handbook (Tidal Licencing System)

"There may be a usage fee if you purchase a B.C. Tidal Waters Sport fishing licence through an Independent Access Provider who may charge a fee to assist with computer maintenance, printing and Internet costs. A usage fee is at the discretion of the Independent Access Provider."

smokin joe

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 06:21:37 AM »

A fee was added to both the tidal and non tidal licenses. It would appear by all the replies that most places are not charging the extra fee and only a select few are.
the places that do charge extra should at least tell the customer before he purchases his license that an extra fee will be added and he can decide then if he wants to pay it or not.

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 08:40:45 AM »

Working at a retailer that sell licences, I can say first hand that they can be a pain in the my friend. All retailers understand that it's a service that needs to be provided, however we make like $0.10 per licence. Last year alone our store issued over 2000 tidal sport fishing licences. Each licence takes about 5 minutes, that's roughly 167 hours of manpower sitting at the computer issuing licences. Just say the employee was making $10.00/hour, you're paying $1670 to make $200. I can see why Hubs is charging a service fee from a retail perspective.

You missed out mentioning the cost of ink and paper. Also the time taken selling a license is time taken away from selling tackle or doing some other service at the store. Sort of a double cost really.
If someone has a computer to be able to discuss this topic online, they should just be purchasing their license at home also. Great sites like this one have all the links to be able to do so.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 04:32:30 PM »

You missed out mentioning the cost of ink and paper. Also the time taken selling a license is time taken away from selling tackle or doing some other service at the store. Sort of a double cost really.
If someone has a computer to be able to discuss this topic online, they should just be purchasing their license at home also. Great sites like this one have all the links to be able to do so.

--If the store only exists to sell me something then I may as well not go there.
--I can go on line and purchase not only my license but the gear as well. Don't have to worry about the store not having what I want.

--The biggest edge a specialty store has over on line and big box is customer service. If they don't want to "waste time" on service they may as well pack up.

--They have to create customers. Get people interested in fishing...then sales will come.

--Now that I'm getting wound up into a full RANT.... remember when you had to purchase your license and it had to be filled out by hand...how long did that take.
--Also if anything was not filled in right...had to track down the person and get a new one issued. The government punishement for license not filled out right was to charge the store for the highest value license. That is to say if I sold a license to a senior for $5 bucks and I hadn't ticked the box indicating senior I had to pay the government the price of a regular license.
--They also had a clerk that would review every license for errors and if there were to many errors you could lose the privilege of selling licenses.

--With paper copies we had to order them each month to ensure we had enough on hand as they wouldn't just send us a full box... One of the reason was again if we lost any or could not account for some (they had serial numbers)... again we would be charged the maximum that a license could be sold for.

--I used to really tick customers off if we ran out of licenses near the end of the month and they had to go elsewhere.

--PS... I purchase my license on line as I can't stand the whining from the store owner that is giving so much back to the fishing community.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 04:36:19 PM by skaha »