Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Purchasing fishing licenses at sporting goods store  (Read 17039 times)

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Purchasing fishing licenses at sporting goods store
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2015, 08:46:30 PM »

Does anyone here complain that your local car dealership doesn't issue Driver's licences? The government has been piggy-backing on the on the shop owners dime to collect their "tax" and now they have a way to circumvent that. If the government expected you to collect GST or PST for them every time you made a private sale of used goods, I would bet a fair number of you would say "F* that!". Why should the shop be any different?

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2015, 12:38:41 AM »

Does anyone here complain that your local car dealership doesn't issue Driver's licences? The government has been piggy-backing on the on the shop owners dime to collect their "tax" and now they have a way to circumvent that. If the government expected you to collect GST or PST for them every time you made a private sale of used goods, I would bet a fair number of you would say "F* that!". Why should the shop be any different?

because it's a customer base service that's always been there to provide convenience to loyal customers who in turn support their local shops....charge for the time and material, but to out right refuse to sell licenses because of a dispute only makes one feel like a pawn in something they had nothing to do with....it's like shop owners have no concept of loss leaders and reverse loyalty acclamation.

i usually buy my licenses online, but when my pc went on the fritz, i ended up driving to Ladner to buy my license at Stillwater Sports where i also spent a good chunk of change to buy hardware that other wise would have been purchased at Berry's.

i've always been a proponent of supporting local businesses, but lately it's been feeling like a one way street where entitlement seems to be the flavour of the day.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2015, 05:30:30 AM »

There is a place you can go to get your drivers license, it's called ICBC service centres.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2015, 09:52:24 AM »

There is a place you can go to get your drivers license, it's called ICBC service centres.
There's is a place you can go to get your fishing licence, it's called a BC Service Centre.

because it's a customer base service that's always been there to provide convenience to loyal customers who in turn support their local shops....charge for the time and material, but to out right refuse to sell licenses because of a dispute only makes one feel like a pawn in something they had nothing to do with....it's like shop owners have no concept of loss leaders and reverse loyalty acclamation.

Most people that come in to buy a licence don't spend a dime on anything else, and you don't seem them again until they need another licence. It's not a dispute that is causing shops to not issue licences, it's that there is a substantially more convenient way for the government to issue them and there is no need for the shop to offer that service.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2015, 01:34:50 PM »

Most people that come in to buy a licence don't spend a dime on anything else, and you don't seem them again until they need another licence. 

unfortunately that's a reality that many businesses have to cope with....no different from spending hours with a client giving them information and know how, only to have them go to another competitor willing to under cut your quote...frustrating, but a necessity to keep you afloat....or honouring a contract that ends up unprofitable because of unexpected expenses.

you do what you have to do to maintain good customer relations because the longevity of your business lives depend on it.

there's a big difference between not being able to provide a service because of restrictions and not providing because of the unwillingness of one holding a grudge.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2015, 01:51:27 PM »

It's not a dispute that is causing shops to not issue licences, it's that there is a substantially more convenient way for the government to issue them and there is no need for the shop to offer that service.

my buddy use to manage a local tackle shop and i understand the incentives given for every paper license sold in the past...but even with the new system, shop owners can still provide this service for the sake of customer satisfaction...it's a small margin of loss that in the long run can help generate future revenue through alternative sales....take that away and it eliminates any potential business that cannot be afforded to be lost.

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2015, 09:58:50 PM »

I know that berry's sells non-tidal only, and not tidal. Tidal licences aren't done because they take much longer. Also, if a family were to want licences for each member, a new email is needed for each, or the website won't allow you to buy the licenses. Also, if another store bought the previous year's licence, every single bit of information has to match, or the licence will still be denied. I talk to the guys there and they say they used to do it, but it took at least 20 mins for each person, often more, and that can't be done when the shop is busy.
Someone was here

Nicolas The Fisherman

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2015, 09:23:45 AM »

I used to work in a sporting goods tackle store and I found it quite frusterating having to issue licenses continuously. There would always be lineups of people at the front till waiting to have their licence done. We did 'em both, fresh and saltwater (Non-tidal & tidal). Since we were so busy dealing with the licenses, many customers requiring assistance in the store would not get the help they needed. These customers that didn't get the help they needed would very likely leave with a bad taste in their mouth and would probably not be repeat customers. It was always a headache IMO. As well, I agree with previous posters that many of these customers would only buy a license and nothing else. Long story short, I think in the modern world we live in today, people should be able to go online and do their licenses through the website. Its not rocket science by any stretch of the imagination. It only takes like five minutes or so. Tackle shops are struggling enough, they shouldn't have to be fumbling around with issuing licenses all day long. Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 09:25:55 AM by Nicolas The Fisherman »

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2015, 03:19:16 PM »

I used to work in a sporting goods tackle store and I found it quite frusterating having to issue licenses continuously. There would always be lineups of people at the front till waiting to have their licence done. We did 'em both, fresh and saltwater (Non-tidal & tidal). Since we were so busy dealing with the licenses, many customers requiring assistance in the store would not get the help they needed. These customers that didn't get the help they needed would very likely leave with a bad taste in their mouth and would probably not be repeat customers. It was always a headache IMO. As well, I agree with previous posters that many of these customers would only buy a license and nothing else. Long story short, I think in the modern world we live in today, people should be able to go online and do their licenses through the website. Its not rocket science by any stretch of the imagination. It only takes like five minutes or so. Tackle shops are struggling enough, they shouldn't have to be fumbling around with issuing licenses all day long. Just my 2 cents.

a double edged sword where those same frustrated customers at one time stood in line to purchase their own licenses and left others in the same boat...it's called feast or famine...hectic unending work to be done during peak season followed by leader tying/shelf organizing slower months with the possibility of cut shifts and/or layoffs.

it's as you say a specialty business where it's hard to stay above the red let alone turn a profit...so you either go above and beyond what the larger box outlets don't provide or you simply step aside because in reality you need the weekend warrior fishermen as much as the avid quality seeking angler to help with the bottom line.

i go into my favourite shop an average of 3 times a month and spend maybe $300-400/year (which is nothing in the whole scheme of things)...even with 50 more guys like me, that's only $20000/year...now turn away casual customers coming in to buy licenses and possibly some light hardware like hooks, floats, lures,line, and bait....what are you left with? this argument with people coming in just for licenses and nothing else is not a good enough reason to complain because from what i've seen a good percentage of them come back to buy gear even if not on the same day. it only makes sense because they're spending time and money for the privilege to fish...which eventually requires replenishment of supplies.

what it comes down to is the shop owners getting something taken away from them and wanting compensation....then in turn voiding the service and blaming it on the system as an excuse to get customers on their side...it's about entitlement nothing more.

fishtruck

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2015, 03:46:42 PM »

Just a thought, why can't tackle shops supply a computer(with strong security) for their customers who want to purchase a license. At the same time they might buy some things they need. This way, they are providing a service(less labor intensive?) while drawing customers in.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2015, 11:24:59 PM »

Just a thought, why can't tackle shops supply a computer(with strong security) for their customers who want to purchase a license. At the same time they might buy some things they need. This way, they are providing a service(less labor intensive?) while drawing customers in.

That's exactly what I've been thinking this whole thread. 

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2015, 07:07:46 AM »

Most people who don't have computers also have no idea how to use them. No point giving a hammer to a man with no hands.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2015, 09:23:42 AM »

what it comes down to is the shop owners getting something taken away from them and wanting compensation....then in turn voiding the service and blaming it on the system as an excuse to get customers on their side...it's about entitlement nothing more.

To me it seems more like customer entitlement. The licences are offered online or at the BC Service Centre, yet you are still whining that you can't buy them at a fishing store. I've worked in stores and written out thousands of tidal, non-tidal, and hunting licences. The switch to online purchasing is the best thing they could have done.

Nicolas The Fisherman

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2015, 09:35:00 AM »

To me it seems more like customer entitlement. The licences are offered online or at the BC Service Centre, yet you are still whining that you can't buy them at a fishing store. I've worked in stores and written out thousands of tidal, non-tidal, and hunting licences. The switch to online purchasing is the best thing they could have done.
Agreed completely. Most people now a days have computers with internet, so why not save the gas (and the shops time) and get your license at home? As I mentioned, it doesn't take long and it's extremely simple and easy.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2015, 10:23:36 AM »

--Remember when everyones vehicle license used to expire in March.... similar paroblem line up on to the street to get license. Then they allowed purchase for one year from date of purchase.

--Now that Provincial Government claims to be giving all of the money to Freshwater fisheries.. it would make sense to me to adopt the same system. Allow purchase of annual license to be one year from date of purchase rather than based on fiscal. This would eventually spread out the buying frenzy so that people would be purchasing license during slow time of year. Also when not in a rush to go fishing tomorrow they may stay longer in the store for purchases.

--As to customer service... we never told our customers to F... off no license for you... we did ask that they delay purchase when we were busy and most would... without getting ticked off at us.