Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Purchasing fishing licenses at sporting goods store  (Read 17055 times)

Apennock

Re: Purchasing fishing licenses at sporting goods store
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2015, 10:29:40 AM »

Private businesses are private businesses, they don't hold a responsibility to the public.  It's a good idea for them to provide the best possible service to maintain loyal customers but if fishing licenses aren't profitable for them then they have every right to decide not to sell them and shouldn't have to apologize for it. 

Burbot

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2015, 03:21:32 PM »

To me it seems more like customer entitlement. The licences are offered online or at the BC Service Centre, yet you are still whining that you can't buy them at a fishing store. I've worked in stores and written out thousands of tidal, non-tidal, and hunting licences. The switch to online purchasing is the best thing they could have done.

...and you hit the nail on the head as to why many buy their gear down in Washington state or online or the big box stores and that is the piss poor attitude of (not just fishing) retailers here. They think they are entitled and bitch that people shop online or out of country and can not figure out why.  Many business in Canada needs to learn customer service. Treat customers as 'entitled whiners' well then you won't get he business.

Burbot

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2015, 03:23:04 PM »

Private businesses are private businesses, they don't hold a responsibility to the public.  It's a good idea for them to provide the best possible service to maintain loyal customers but if fishing licenses aren't profitable for them then they have every right to decide not to sell them and shouldn't have to apologize for it.

...and when the 'going out of business' sale sign goes up the store and their piss poor attitude will have no one to blame but themselves.

Zackattack

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2015, 04:17:15 PM »

There is such fierce competition already amongst tackle shops, let alone big box retailers, so having every bit of an edge helps..
Big boxes buy in volume and can sometimes offer lower prices, so its up to tackle shops to provide that additional customer service which creates relationships and loyal customers for life. In the end they can do whatever they want, but don't be surprised when your shoppers turn to others stores providing better customer relations and services.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 04:19:23 PM by Zackattack »

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2015, 09:21:38 PM »

To me it seems more like customer entitlement. The licences are offered online or at the BC Service Centre, yet you are still whining that you can't buy them at a fishing store. I've worked in stores and written out thousands of tidal, non-tidal, and hunting licences. The switch to online purchasing is the best thing they could have done.

As i mentioned earlier, i usually buy my licenses online, but having the option of buying it at my favourite tackle shop gives me incentive to check out their latest products and shoot the breeze with the guys behind the counter...now you call me a whiner because i believe in good customer relations...well guess what? all those thousands of tidal, non-tidal, and hunting licenses you wrote out kept you in the work so don't act like you slaved over them like some good samaritan.

...and yes you're right,  as customers we are entitled to expect a level of service from ANY business, just like you would expect for yourself...when standing on this side of the fence.