Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: mono vs tuff line on vedder/chilliwack  (Read 11921 times)

rockonfishing

mono vs tuff line on vedder/chilliwack
« on: June 23, 2015, 05:20:08 PM »

:-[ so over the past several years I have seen more and more fishers using tuff line/fire line on the river.  I get very upset because 1 it takes forever for them to break the line when they get snagged, and 2 in some cases they actually cut mono line when they call fish on,
Last year a gentle fisherman I got into a bit of a discussion using this line and thinking out it he actually brought up a good point, its better for the environment.
Your thoughts, comments are very much appreciated.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
Re: mono vs tuff line on vedder/chilliwack
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 05:40:35 PM »

Better for the environment in what way?
If everyone packed out what they packed in there would be fewer problems.
As for your question.
I primarily use mono although I do use backing on my pin.
Haven't really been convinced to change though some of my friends have.
Maybe it's just cuz I'm adverse to change or what's benn working ain't broken.

Daguru

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 06:54:36 PM »

It's way easyer to break off braid than mono. No stretch

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 07:29:02 PM »

i dont believe braid is needed on the vedder. i run 15 main line and have only broken a few hot springs in fast water. i do however use braid on my spinning gear set ups because i like the way you can feel everything really well when chucking metal.

doja

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 11:14:39 PM »

I've left more mono in the river than braid...  It's all I use now...

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 11:41:04 AM »

Braid has some nice qualities that are advantageous to float fishing. There is nothing wrong with using it for those who know how to handle it and I suspect some of the issues the OP has listed is a result of fishermen not fully experienced with its properties.

For breaking off snags, have them wrap the braid around a fish bonker and walk back a few steps. Done. Straightlining it using the reel's drag is futile. Wrapping it around your arm is just insanity and asking for trouble.

For environmental friendly-ness I've heard braid is slower to break down than mono. If you use good short-floating technique and select an appropriate leader strength you will rarely lose much mainline, if any.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 11:44:33 AM by DanL »

Kever

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 11:59:42 AM »

I was told mono is easier to deal with when you get a backlash/birdsnest on your levelwind. It makes sense, the stiffer mono line is easier to handle when untangling. I run 20lb Maxima mono main line and have only broken it once, on a snag.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 12:11:33 PM »

I was told mono is easier to deal with when you get a backlash/birdsnest on your levelwind.

100% true. Braid is so limp that it will tangle in ways you would not even think were physically possible. And once it's cinched tight there is no backing it out of a knot. Its best left for the more proficient angler IMHO, as a bad birdsnest can end your day real quick or you'll be cutting off lots of expensive line just to clear the mess.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 06:48:59 PM »

Do people still use mono for their main line?  Haven't used it in years except for light spin casting on flat water.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 08:48:09 PM »

My 2 cents here.

Braid is great for spinning reels! Like others have said you get a really nice feel for the spoon or spinner, and better casting distance esp if you are chucking light metal. I run 20lb Suffix braid on my set up for coho/pinks etc. Good times on a light 9ft rod.

Braid is also good and necessary on the fraser for bottom bouncing, sturgeon fishing, ect. Are you going to spool up with 50lb mono. Yeah no. My fraser set up for bottom bounching has 50lb braid and I like it.

Braid for float fishing smaller rivers like the Vedder, IMO, is NOT a good idea. It is a rarity to see a "good rod" with braid on his level wind or center pin for this type of fishing. Why? First when float fishing, esp when the water clears up and especially for finicky coho, you are trying to keep everything as invisible as possible. Guys often use clear floats, small split shot, small swivels, light leader (often flourocarbon) and small hooks with small presentations/bait. Braid looks like cable to fish in clear water and IMO scares certain fish away under certain water conditions. Plus I find braid does not cast well when using light float fishing gear.

I remember last fall me and a couple buddies were float fishing a nice run for coho on the Vedder (water is low and clear). All using light mono mainline (12 or 15lb I forget), small floats and light leaders ect. We were doing quite well. Got into some chum as well and 1 spring. Guy comes along and askes for fish the same "honey hole." We say no probelm squeeze in. We keep hooking fish after fish. He is using similar set up (float, lead, swivel, small hook) but has braid on. He didnt hook a damn thing all afternoon! We told him it's your mainline dude, take it off and put on some good 12 or 15 mono. He said no way I'm just having bad luck or whatever. My buddy said, here, take my rod and fish with it. Guy was surprised but took it and my buddy fished with his. Guy starts hooking fish!! My buddy, who is a fantastic float fisher, hooked one lousy zombie chum in 30 min or so on the braid rod. Guy was sold and said he was going to spool up with mono before heading out next time.

Also it should be added that when tossing metal the fish often "zones in" on the spoon or whatever. Metal often really pisses fish off and they smash it and probably wont notice heavy leader or braid mainline. I often just tie braid right to my spoon or spinner if the water is murky. If it's clear I'll use a mono or flouro leader esp for coho.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 08:54:34 PM »

Do people still use mono for their main line?  Haven't used it in years except for light spin casting on flat water.

Where have you been fishing? Neptune?!

For float fishing, especially in the summer/fall when the water is low, pretty much every person you see fishing with dead fish beside them will be spooled up with mono mainline.

For spinn casting braid is cool (hell I use it).

For snagging aka "dipping" in the upper vedder (you know who you are) braid is fine as since you are just flossing them in the mouth (or misc fleshy spot) you might as well have braid on. Hell maybe even just tie a length of braid to a broom handle and floss away then you won't burn out the drag on your nice reel or slip and smash it on a rock.

SPEYMAN

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 09:31:19 PM »

My issue with "braid" is that the test strength is often way above what is required to catch fish. Why would one use #50 braid for fishing a river that you would fish #20 mono. Causing other anglers to hook the braid and break off their gear.

Braid remains in the river longer than mono and also collects particulates that turn it into a very abrasive cutting instrument.

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 10:21:40 PM »

i use 20lb Hydrafloat from pline when fishing the stave or harrison for chum its awsome other than that leave it for the fraser or chuking hardware

mikeyman

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 10:53:57 PM »

15 lb maxima with backing to save money on spooling. Braid sucks on the vedder. If u know how to fish correctly go for it but tag line might be a good idea. Prob is bottom bouncers and flossers use it mostly. Makes a mess!

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 12:41:28 AM »

Mono on all my pins, braid on all my spinning reels and braid on all of my bait casters (don't use them often but will always put a 10 or so foot section of mono shock leader on the braid when fishing smaller rivers). Braid floats nice and you can get good drifts with it, but running a shock leader from your braid helps with the spooking issue. Braids nicer to mend if you have to and tangles a lot less/ lays down nicer on your reel. And for spinning reels, the distance you get with braid compared to mono makes a world of a difference.