Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: mono vs tuff line on vedder/chilliwack  (Read 11904 times)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Re: mono vs tuff line on vedder/chilliwack
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 12:38:56 PM »

Mono on all my pins, braid on all my spinning reels and braid on all of my bait casters (don't use them often but will always put a 10 or so foot section of mono shock leader on the braid when fishing smaller rivers). Braid floats nice and you can get good drifts with it, but running a shock leader from your braid helps with the spooking issue. Braids nicer to mend if you have to and tangles a lot less/ lays down nicer on your reel. And for spinning reels, the distance you get with braid compared to mono makes a world of a difference.
Exactly my experience too.   The only thing I find is I can get awful over winds with it if I put too much on my baitcaster.   Played around with lots of options and 20lb spiderwire braid with 8 to 12lb leader works well for me.   I have never needed more than about 50m of braid on my reel at least not for chums or coho so I spool my reel with the minimum needed.

I find mono a lot thicker and harder to work with when I am trying to dead drift a float.   Contrary to others I prefer braid on my baitcaster and I prefer mono for spinning setups.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 01:55:12 PM »

How come Mono worked for so many for many years.
Catching lots of fish in the "good old days" ?

Cuz it works and it comes down to user preference and confidence.

obie1fish

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 02:28:27 PM »

True, FOCB, but remember that mono was once the new kid on the block too. It replaced braid- not Spectra-based line, but braid nonetheless. Personally, I just like to have the opportunity to choose, and the best way is to try it, one way or another, before I dive in.

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2015, 04:53:36 AM »

Braid on every reel except centerpin. So many reasons why braided line is superior to mono. If you are breaking off large chunks of mainline when using braid, you are doing it wrong. I use 30 pound braid on all my levelwind reels for clients when float fishing and 10-15 pound florocarbon leaders.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2015, 08:15:09 AM »

Mono on all my pins, braid on all my spinning reels and braid on all of my bait casters (don't use them often but will always put a 10 or so foot section of mono shock leader on the braid when fishing smaller rivers). Braid floats nice and you can get good drifts with it, but running a shock leader from your braid helps with the spooking issue. Braids nicer to mend if you have to and tangles a lot less/ lays down nicer on your reel. And for spinning reels, the distance you get with braid compared to mono makes a world of a difference.

X3

Not sure I buy the contention that braid scares fish.  I have fished steelhead from jet boats with the motor running to hold the boat in place in the current and fished right over the side into moving water about 10 feet deep.  The fish held in spite of the boat.   I have observed massed chinook in pools that barely responded to a large rock chucked in to determine if the darkness on the bottom of the pool was massed fish or just a black bottom to the pool.  Fly fishers regularly pass their main line over pools and the heads are like cables compared to braid or mono and mostly the fish don't move.   In a still clear pool a cast lure will certainly move fish but it is more the plop of the lure or the flutter of it that moves the fish.  You can observe this in a clear lake where the fish are holding in place.   A cast spinning lure might entice one of two to bite immediately and the rest to leave.  In this circumstance you get one cast.

There is a report about on the ability of bass to see line.  These fish were trained to only take food that was attached to a visible line.   Then the line visibility was reduced.   They found the bass could easily see even the lightest mono line.   So the fish can see even the lightest line, water conditions permitting.

A fisherman standing in the water imitating a bear is much more likely to spook the fish than the difference between braid and mono.   

doja

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2015, 08:27:35 AM »

I've also pulled some massive snags of line and such with my 45bpound braid line....  Also,  when tied with my "not as ideal knot" it is actually less rated at the knot which is where I want it to fail... 45 line rating is maybe now 30-35ish and absolutely going to fail at the knot... I don't want to stress my mainline and keep it in great working order...  Never replaced it yet,  although soon I will need too.... After many years fishing and in the hands of newbies... I have a higher line rating as my rod is not exclusive to small rivers

I remember having to break off snagged fish and losing a bunch of line while stretching the rest... Mono...

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2015, 09:01:11 PM »

2 week ends ago i was fishing a lake in the interior and was sight fishing in shallow water. when i chucked floating line at the rainbows they would all scatter because of the oranges and yellows of the floating line. when i changed it up and through intermediate sink which is clear they would not scare. i know there is a difference from the vedder and braid is thinner but i do believe stealth is the key.

X3

Not sure I buy the contention that braid scares fish.  I have fished steelhead from jet boats with the motor running to hold the boat in place in the current and fished right over the side into moving water about 10 feet deep.  The fish held in spite of the boat.   I have observed massed chinook in pools that barely responded to a large rock chucked in to determine if the darkness on the bottom of the pool was massed fish or just a black bottom to the pool.  Fly fishers regularly pass their main line over pools and the heads are like cables compared to braid or mono and mostly the fish don't move.   In a still clear pool a cast lure will certainly move fish but it is more the plop of the lure or the flutter of it that moves the fish.  You can observe this in a clear lake where the fish are holding in place.   A cast spinning lure might entice one of two to bite immediately and the rest to leave.  In this circumstance you get one cast.

There is a report about on the ability of bass to see line.  These fish were trained to only take food that was attached to a visible line.   Then the line visibility was reduced.   They found the bass could easily see even the lightest mono line.   So the fish can see even the lightest line, water conditions permitting.

A fisherman standing in the water imitating a bear is much more likely to spook the fish than the difference between braid and mono.

lapa

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2015, 11:13:52 PM »

A few years ago I was using PowerPro #20 green line on my baitcaster. Was performing way better than mono. Almost invisible and cost effective. Can land any fish with it.
 My preferences:  centerpin - 12-15# mono, baitcaster -  PowerPro  20#-green, spinning - Nanofil - 10 -12# green.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2015, 09:32:21 AM »

so over the past several years I have seen more and more fishers using tuff line/fire line on the river.  I get very upset because 1 it takes forever for them to break the line when they get snagged, and 2 in some cases they actually cut mono line when they call fish on,

You must be fishing in awfully close quarters to have a problem with the kind of line your neighbours are using.  Find a more secluded location and it won't be a concern.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2015, 02:30:19 PM »

;)