Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fuel spill in Burrard Inlet  (Read 14541 times)

swimmingwiththefishes

Easywater

• Old Timer
Re: Fuel spill in Burrard Inlet
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 02:48:49 PM »

I am curious as to what happens when a spill of this type is connected to a ship anchored in the harbour.

Are they assessed a clean up fee/fine?
Do they have to go into dry dock for repairs?

The link in the CBC article has some information on the "bunker fuel" that was spilled:

The list of possible effects are listed as:
- Harmful if inhaled
- Suspected of damaging fertility or the unborn child
- May cause damage to organs or organ systems through prolonged or repeated exposure
- May cause cancer

The fuel is also, according to Shell's data, extremely dangerous for the marine environment.
- Very toxic to aquatic life
- Very toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects

mikeyman

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 08:41:51 PM »

Good job on your world class clean up Christy, now increase tanker traffic by 3 times and eliminate the coast gaurd station. Bye bye environment, hello big corporate profit. Why can't common sense prevail and make all players happy by following proper process, over cuts and finger crossing. Now down play it as having a small impact, big or small there will be an impact this should be taken as more than just a warning sign of what is to come.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 09:41:10 PM by mikeyman »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 09:48:54 PM »

Good job on your world class clean up Christy, now increase tanker traffic by 3 times and eliminate the coast gaurd station. Bye bye environment, hello big corporate profit. Why can't common sense prevail and make all players happy by following proper process, over cuts and finger crossing. Now down play it as having a small impact, big or small there will be an impact this should be taken as more than just a warning sign of what is to come.

Easy to blame Christy Clark but the fact is the Conservatives under Stephen Harper that closed the Coast Guard Station.

pbish

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 08:39:06 AM »

Was wonder how long before the blame Christy for everything crowd piped up.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 09:55:48 AM »

it bothers me that this is a federal issue and a not provincial. we should be in charge of our coast. Why are they in charge of the matter from 2200 miles away.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 10:19:07 AM »

Closure of the Coast Guard station by the Tories certainly isn't helping

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 12:41:46 PM »

This will have significant effects on tourism for the foreseeable future. I feel for the local community that swims, crabs, fishes and boats in the harbour as well as the guiding businesses in the area.

As this article highlights this will have an impact.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-oil-spill-could-have-far-reaching-impacts-expert-1.3027976

On another note I hope that the Sportfishing industry will get their act together and actually take a stand on issues that have huge effects on them - ie. resource development and fisheries management. I listen often to the outdoor line (a great radio show) and it seems the fishing community in Washington has their act together better than we do.

TacoChris

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 01:58:57 PM »

The Federal government is responsible for the pathetic response for this.The province has little say in this is because almost everything is under the control of the government of Canada as it is in the rest of Canada.The Coast Guard is supposed to take the lead on oil spill containment. The port of Vancouver is under the authority of the feds as well as fisheries etc.  I happen to concur with the opinion they are too far away. The conservatives have their own agenda. I am no Christy Clark fan but I do not blame them for this other than not being more aggressive in protecting our interests. However with the one man dictator Harper in charge no one gets heard that is not on board with their vision.

Just wait until we have greatly increased traffic of Oil tankers running right through the inlet. This was a small spill and it took 6 hours before a containment boom was in place!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 03:37:58 PM »

Sadly, I am pessimistic about our environmental future and I strongly believe that this is just a small sample of (and a warning about) what we can expect if Kinder Morgan has it their way.

Human greed never ceases to amaze me. In order to fatten up the accounts of a few shareholders, this country is willing to risk its most precious asset - its nature. Gordon Gekko would be proud.

TimL

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 04:02:14 PM »

Just a quick question- has the spill been contained in English Bay? or is there any word of it spreading east of the bay (towards Indian Arm and beyond)?

Am asking because I was planning to get some crabbing and bottom fishing done off Belcarra early next week. I would be bummed if the spill has reached the areas in question  :-[ Ridiculous that it took so long for the authorities to respond to a small spill like that!

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 04:54:22 PM »

Lots of negative comments about the six hours it took to get the boom in place.  Maybe that was a little slow given the nearby location but probably representative of the time it will always take to respond with equipment delivered by slow boat.  So when a major spill occurs up the coast in a tidal channel during a winter storm, how long will the 'world class' spill protection take to get booms in place?  Methinks too long whatever the method.

BananasQ

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 05:41:40 PM »

Just a quick question- has the spill been contained in English Bay? or is there any word of it spreading east of the bay (towards Indian Arm and beyond)?

Am asking because I was planning to get some crabbing and bottom fishing done off Belcarra early next week. I would be bummed if the spill has reached the areas in question  :-[ Ridiculous that it took so long for the authorities to respond to a small spill like that!

i heard it went West towards West Van. However, I'm going to give it a little break

Zackattack

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 06:48:47 PM »

Maybe this small spill will actually be a positive thing as it will wake people up from denying the fact that spills can and do happen in British Columbia!!!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 07:23:22 PM »