Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fuel spill in Burrard Inlet  (Read 14545 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Fuel spill in Burrard Inlet
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 08:54:20 PM »

Maybe this small spill will actually be a positive thing as it will wake people up from denying the fact that spills can and do happen in British Columbia!!!

I agree. This spill will galvanize public opinion against Kinder Morgan's proposal to increase tanker sailing.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 12:20:39 AM »

Just a quick question- has the spill been contained in English Bay? or is there any word of it spreading east of the bay (towards Indian Arm and beyond)?

Am asking because I was planning to get some crabbing and bottom fishing done off Belcarra early next week. I would be bummed if the spill has reached the areas in question  :-[ Ridiculous that it took so long for the authorities to respond to a small spill like that!

funny you bring that up. i am also going crabbing except this is the first time for me. i am going with a experienced buddy. i will be going no mater what but plan to bring my camera to document what i see from a first hand view.

i have a an hour or two during work to read comments from other news broadcasters and i hear alot about this has nothing to do with pipelines. to them i say give your head a shake. this has everything to to do with coastal spills whether bitumen , bunker fuel or whatever spills. WE ARE NOT PREPARED TO DEAL WITH SUCH SPILLS.

call me an environmentalist terrorist, or whatever. is your portfolio really more important than our coast. if our federal government put half the amount of effort into convincing us about big oil as other potential projects we be alot further ahead. i dont want to be telling my grand kids about a coast we had. id rather show them. end rant.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:28:02 AM by bigblockfox »

StillAqua

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2015, 07:46:22 AM »

Just to clarify, the Coast Guard doesn't do the actual oil spill response on the water so the False Creek Station really isn't an issue. The on-the-water containment and cleanup is the job of the Western Canada Marine Response Corporation and it's standby subcontractors, paid for by fees charged to cargo and oil ships and oil handling facilities all along the coast. In Vancouver Harbour, they have to respond to small spills within 6 hours but the response window for large spills is within 12 hours. By that time, a large spill would be devastating.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2015, 09:39:56 AM »

--the sad thing is that the contractor has probably met the required response time.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2015, 06:49:14 PM »

Here's the city of Vancouver message with the link to the sign-up:

http://vancouver.ca/home-property-development/fuel-spill-cleanup.aspx

The federal government has advised City of Vancouver and Park Board officials that the formal oil spill recovery and cleanup on the shoreline will begin this afternoon. Initial efforts in the City of Vancouver will be concentrated in English Bay and Stanley Park. This will require a temporary closure of the Seawall around Siwash Rock.

The Western Canada Marine Response Corporation (WCMRC) as directed by the Canadian Coast Guard will be coordinating shoreline cleanup and our staff will assist as required.

The federal agencies have advised the City and Park Board that cleanup efforts will involve crews in protective gear with special expertise in oil recovery and for now there is no involvement possible for volunteers.

We appreciate the thousands of offers of help from citizen volunteers and are impressed by the passion local residents have shown for our beaches and wildlife. We will continue to work with the federal and provincial authorities to find ways our volunteers can help as the cleanup continues.

We urge citizens to stay away from the foreshore and keep pets out of the water. This morning the Park Board placed signage on many of our beaches, cautioning people to stay out of the water and refrain from cleanup efforts.

Park Board Rangers are assisting the contracted wildlife rescue group with bird rescues. At this time, we have been informed that several oiled birds have been taken to a refuge for treatment.

Park Board Rangers continue to patrol the beaches with provincial partners from the Ministry of the Environment, focusing on impact assessment and public education.

Again, we thank all citizens for their commitment and passion for our beaches and natural environments.
-30-

For up-to-date information, see the City of Vancouver’s Twitter feed: #vanfuelspill.
Like · Comment · Share

Ian Stotesbury likes this.
    Thomas McGregor
    Write a comment...

Thomas Schroeder and Ivana Sigur shared a link.
Tell us if you want to volunteer for a cleanup
Fill out an online form to let us know you are interested in helping clean up after the fuel spill. The City will contact you if volunteer opportunities are available.
vancouver.ca|By City of Vancouver

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2015, 06:59:09 PM »

A couple of pics from today:

BananasQ

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2015, 05:31:46 PM »

Details of the closures: http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=170281&ID=all

Effective immediately and until further notice, the following portions of Area
28: Subareas 28-6 to 28-9 inclusive are closed to fishing for all shellfish and
groundfish species.  This area includes those waters easterly of a line drawn
between Point Grey to Point Atkinson to the westerly side of the Lions Gate
Bridge.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2015, 09:17:20 PM »

The crabbers at the sailing club won't be happy.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2015, 01:14:27 PM »

Details of the closures: http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=170281&ID=all

Effective immediately and until further notice, the following portions of Area
28: Subareas 28-6 to 28-9 inclusive are closed to fishing for all shellfish and
groundfish species.  This area includes those waters easterly of a line drawn
between Point Grey to Point Atkinson to the westerly side of the Lions Gate
Bridge.

So, is it safe to eat crabs caught in the Indian Arms/Deep Cove area?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2015, 01:20:20 PM »

This is a precautionary measure (better be safe than sorry measure) until authority can determine that it is 100% safe to consume whatever anglers choose to harvest. The same judgement call should be used by you in areas where fishing is still open. If you feel that the risk is minimal, go for it... ;)

BananasQ

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2015, 01:43:00 PM »

So, is it safe to eat crabs caught in the Indian Arms/Deep Cove area?

I reckon so, but like Rodney says, it is up to the individual to decide.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2015, 10:10:16 PM »

Great report by the city goes through everything. Nice job and good to see.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/261866157/City-of-Vancouver-oil-spill-presentation

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2015, 10:14:11 PM »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2015, 12:07:52 PM »

More video on this topic.
https://youtu.be/cJL58CXfWHY

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2015, 01:47:15 PM »

More video on this topic.
https://youtu.be/cJL58CXfWHY

Thanks for the link Chris. James Moore seems to be a little tongue tied. ;)