Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley rainbow trout stocking information  (Read 26329 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: 2015 Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley rainbow trout stocking information
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2015, 11:26:13 AM »

I've updated the stocking database:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishing_report/stocking_2.html

Some more stockings happened this week, will update again when those numbers come to me.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2015, 04:21:51 PM »

Hicks and Deer at Sasquatch Park were stocked this week, so was Deer in Burnaby.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2015, 04:30:10 PM »

Thanks Rodney,
This springs allocations of catchable sized fish is to be 52,050 total. The five urban ponds will get 23,000 of these fish which is 44% of the total!! Out of the 35 managed lakes 12 will not receive any catchables at all. Another way to state it is; 14.1% of the lakes will receive 44% of the catchable sized fish. This is excessive to say the least, and needs to be addressed. It is understood that these 5 urban ponds provide fishing to a higher population density and should receive more allocation than some lakes farther afield, but not to the extent of being detrimental to the fishing experience they can potentially offer.

That "line" does not exist.  Those lakes are put in take fisheries.  Often by the time the week has ended the fishing is slow or at a complete standstill, even with a 2 fish/day limit trying to increase angling opportunities.

Besides Urban lakes can keep there catchables, if they go into interior lakes it often means they killed...

jimmywits

« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2015, 05:40:21 PM »

That "line" does not exist.  Those lakes are put in take fisheries.  Often by the time the week has ended the fishing is slow or at a complete standstill, even with a 2 fish/day limit trying to increase angling opportunities.

Besides Urban lakes can keep there catchables, if they go into interior lakes it often means they killed...

" if they go into interior lakes it often means they killed..."   ???

translation please !!

sbc hris

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2015, 11:40:59 AM »

I don't think he was referring to the interior lakes. Just the other lakes in the valley that aren't in the middle of town/s.

Burbot

« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2015, 05:33:15 AM »

Seriously why do they even bother stocking Deer Lake in Burnaby anymore?  It is ruined by the bucket brigade. I know it can not be poisoned due to salmon passing through but now it is just a course fishing lake for Carp, Bass etc...The trout that go in there would be better used elsewhere.

jimmywits

« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2015, 03:41:29 PM »

Seriously why do they even bother stocking Deer Lake in Burnaby anymore?  It is ruined by the bucket brigade. I know it can not be poisoned due to salmon passing through but now it is just a course fishing lake for Carp, Bass etc...The trout that go in there would be better used elsewhere.

Deer Lake in Burnaby offers a much better fishing day experience than any of the five urban poaching ponds. I fish it as my default lake when I don't feel like a long drive. It is much larger than any of the urban ponds and has great access for car toppers or float tubes. Because of its size you can get away from all the shore casters where they cannot cast out to. Last spring I had some really fun days out there and very decent trout fishing. I did catch some small bass close to shore but none out deeper. I do not agree that it has been ruined, nor is it only a carp / bass fishery. I know this to be the case because I fish Deer Lake in the spring numerous times. Also Deer Lake only gets stocked once in the spring because it does get too warm in the summer, so its allocation of trout is not a waste as it gets fished out by early summer. Burbot, try fishing for a day out on the water at either Lafarge Lake or Como Lake, and then go and launch at Dear Lake and just experience the difference, there is no comparison.

Fillibert

« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2015, 05:17:58 PM »

Amen^^^

Silver

« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2015, 10:50:55 AM »

Tried Rice Lake this weekend, as my Daughter wanted to catch a trout. Having never participated in any urban fishery, I thought I should research how to...even for a thought to be easy, and novice water hole.

Saturday:
 stayed in one shoreline spot. Gradual slope, quiet, not too deep. Tried worm, chartruse, red powerbait on float, plunking with same, and 3 purpose bought small spinner/spoon.
The spot 30 feet beside me, older seasoned guy C&R about 10 fish every 2nd or 3rd cast. I didn't ask but think he was using a dark fly or plastic leach. Then, new group shows up and although not as productive, and with zero finesse...caught 4 or 5 rather easily. Also, a few caught in other spots across lake.
Left discouraged. My idea of not going to the trout farm today and fish here instead, was brought up for discussion. My popularity score decreased dramatically.

Sunday:
 in preparation to increase my chances, I purchased a small reel to better match my ultralight rod and improve casting distance, and spooled on some 4lb mono. Picked up a Panther Martin and rooster tail ala Brian Chan, and couple others, some deli shrimp, and some cheese marshmallows...how could the rainbows resist this offering?
Previous spots already taken, but noticed at the hot spot the novice family had several fish already caught, and looked to only be using powerbait with their newly acquired Army & Navy purchases...they did have trout scent though. Is this the secret?
Found another nice spot similar to yesterday's, and tried the same techniques with the previous and new offerings. I could cast much farther now, but still needed to add a small sliding bullet weight to the 1/16 and 1/8 gear to get it out and sink a bit...nothing except 3 picked up by others across the way.
Tried another spot. Very nice, deep, with lots of hiding spots for the fish. Again tried everything to no avail. Even when the sun changed and cast a shadow directly in front of our spot, where I started to see dozens of risers...nothing. I was throwing everything at this pool of fish and short of a little nudge with the shrimp...nothing.

My observations are that the trout congregate in the dark areas of the lake which moves around depending at the time of day. The water is cold and not totally clear so I didn't think it would matter so much. I didn't try the dock...it just was just too sunny and bright.

Also, it can't be a coincidence that the hot spot is so productive. Could there be a deep pool there that the majority of fish stay in regardless of the sun? It is a 30 foot circle in one spot of the lake where I saw 90% of the fish caught.

I don't want to give up on Rice Lake yet...what can I do differently?

« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 10:59:44 AM by Silver »

banx

« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2015, 12:08:47 PM »

well. I could only recommend tipping your spinners with a bit of worm.  real worm....

if your only using one rod while fishing with your daughter, bring another rod.  you can play with presentations with one rod.  then use the other rod with some bait on the bottom.

lastly, I would check the gofish bc website and try some lakes that were stocked last year that aren't so urban. theres a few in the fraser valley that fished very well for me this spring, with zero pressure and aggressive fish. small, scrappy and easy to catch.

hopefully you get into a few fish. and your daughter doesn't think fishing is "boring"

Silver

« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2015, 04:15:28 PM »

well. I could only recommend tipping your spinners with a bit of worm.  real worm....

if your only using one rod while fishing with your daughter, bring another rod.  you can play with presentations with one rod.  then use the other rod with some bait on the bottom.

lastly, I would check the gofish bc website and try some lakes that were stocked last year that aren't so urban. theres a few in the fraser valley that fished very well for me this spring, with zero pressure and aggressive fish. small, scrappy and easy to catch.

hopefully you get into a few fish. and your daughter doesn't think fishing is "boring"

We actually did have two rods going with dew worm on most gear, only excluding on the ones that worm messed with the action.

We will check out some other lakes also, but would be nice to catch a few so close to home if I can figure out what were not doing correctly. I still think there is a honey hole in one particular spot in that lake.

She says we are very unlucky...I said fishing is mostly knowledge based and we need to persevere.

Thanks for the tip...

« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 04:23:17 PM by Silver »

hrenya

« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2015, 05:20:18 PM »

Silver send me an email , I think I can help you by telling some spots and what to use .
hrenya_k@yahoo.ca

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2015, 09:06:01 AM »

Lafarge, Como, Green Timbers, Rice and Hastings were stocked again this week.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2015, 05:27:28 PM »

They really should stock Browning soon one of the few lakes that haven`t been stocked,some lakes have all ready been stocked TWICE.... :-\
I know how to catch fish.......Sometimes.

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2015, 11:16:13 AM »

There should still be some trout in browning. Popped by on the way home from camping in Pemberton and there was a ton of surface action.