Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lending Gear  (Read 10472 times)

RossP

Lending Gear
« on: December 16, 2014, 04:28:30 PM »

I lent my Centre Pin reel to a friend for a trip he was taking about a month ago. The reel was in pristine condition, not a scratch on it, I had only used it twice. He picked the reel up on a Thursday and was to return it the next Wednesday. Well Wednesday came and went with no reel. I texted him and he was now coming back the next day, no reel. For the next three weekends I arranged to pick up the reel in Abbotsford were he lives, I live in Langley. Each weekend I would drive out to Abbotsford and try to get my reel with no luck. This past Sunday once again everything was arranged, I even got a text picture of the reel at 11:14, at 11:16 I phone and was told "I'll phone you right back" and he hung up. You guessed it he didn't phone back until 9 hours later, then I was told the reel would be dropped off on Monday, another excuse. Today the reel was dropped off, looks like it was dropped into gravel, nicks out of the rim, the reel is dirty. I have learned my lesson, I will never lend out any of my gear again. I will not mention this persons name, they know who they are, I write this to vent and to warn others that no matter how you might think you know someone, beware. After almost 58 years on this planet I am now turning into hoarder of my gear because of this, I used to think the best of everyone, now I don't, it is a sad day.
I Love Hunting, golf and anything else that keeps others off the water.

losos

Re: Lending Gear
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 05:01:05 PM »

How can you describe that person as your friend after this experience is a real mystery to me. Obviously he doesn't feel the same about you since didn't offer apology ( the least he could do) nor compensation for the damage. Perhaps I'm hot headed ,but if it happened to me he would be of my list of people who I recognize on the street.

sbc hris

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 05:11:13 PM »

I don't lend much of anything out any more. Way too many times my stuff has been abused or not returned on time. Even by my closest friends... Live and learn.

RossP

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 05:12:00 PM »

Should have said ex-friend.

Ambassador

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 07:38:09 PM »

Someone told me years ago "If you lend someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it".

Unfortunately your reel was likely worth far more than $20. Don't let this D-bag's actions affect your good will towards others. For every one like him there are ten that would have done things right.

"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 08:00:15 PM »

No..no..no..no.no. Don't lend expensive gear to friends unless they know the value of it to you. It's just not worth it. It will return 99 per cent in a different condition. Just not worth it.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 08:29:54 PM »

I have a few FRIENDS and many acquaintances.

The people I call FRIENDS can always borrow any of my stuff. They will always keep their word and compensate me for any damage or loss, without me having to ask. They are people I have been through thick and thin with.

Those who don't fall in the above category can't get to borrow my higher end equipment, boat or truck. They (acquaintances and "incidental fishing buddies") might be able to get a 'loaner' fishing setup which I don't really care much about. That's what loaners are for.

Ross, sorry to hear somebody you considered a friend took advantage of you. That really sucks.
I hope you crossed him off your Christmas list.

Edited to add: It sounds to me your "friend" ended up lending your reel to someone else and was just covering up.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 08:32:33 PM by milo »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 09:45:47 PM »

Someone told me years ago "If you lend someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it".

:) :)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 12:15:57 AM »

The way I see it, if someone needs to borrow fishing gear off you, chances are they're either non avid fishermen or don't take the sport seriously. Of course there are exceptions, but I personally would never borrow anything from anyone unless it's from family... under extreme emergency circumstances.

There's two things I would never lend out....my car and my fishing gear.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 12:19:40 AM by blaydRnr »

Pin-nook

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 08:54:27 AM »

I have 2 friends that I fish with from time to time, 1 friend is totally passionate about gear and fishing as much I am so he knows my expectations and I would not hesitate to lend him any of my custom gear.  My other friend who's closer to me as best friend is passionate about fishing but brutal on gear, I have sold him nearly new baitcasting reels at family discount and he's demolished each one. I do lend him gear when I fish with him as he likes some of my setups better than his but at least I can see how he treats it and I'm getting it back at the end of the outting. Other than that, I would never lend out gear to anyone else not even my brother.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 09:10:40 AM »

Have you asked this person to compensate you for the damage or buy you a new reel? Small claims court may be one possible way to deal with this kind of problem.

I had a friend like this when I was young. I lent him my bike so he could do is paper route. It took forever to get the bike back and when it cam back it had no brakes - literally no brakes. A few years later I lent him $100 - which was 40 years ago so that was real money then, because he couldn't make his rent. Much the same story. I found out later that every 2 weeks he cashed his paycheque went to a bar or club and bought drinks for every person he met - until he was pretty much out of cash. Few years later it was clear he had a mental illness (schizophrenia, it ran in the family) compounded by alcoholism. We stopped being friends and the remainder of his short life (overdose) was a mess. I feel bad for him today but some people are lost souls.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

gator

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 11:47:38 AM »

Hey Ross buddy, can I borrow your boat this weekend?  ;)

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 01:01:06 PM »

I broke an ex friends Sage Spey rod. I was freaking out. I ran down the Vedder full speed in high water to get the floating 3/4 of the rod. I felt sick to my stomach, I couldn't figure out how to tell him about it. I finally got the nerve and called him up and told him. He started to laugh at me, and my nervousness. He said, don't worry about it, under warranty.

Cost me $110 to get it back in pristine condition.

He later gave me the rod.

We are ex-friends for other reasons.

RossP

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 06:47:48 PM »

I have a few FRIENDS and many acquaintances.

The people I call FRIENDS can always borrow any of my stuff. They will always keep their word and compensate me for any damage or loss, without me having to ask. They are people I have been through thick and thin with.

Those who don't fall in the above category can't get to borrow my higher end equipment, boat or truck. They (acquaintances and "incidental fishing buddies") might be able to get a 'loaner' fishing setup which I don't really care much about. That's what loaners are for.

Ross, sorry to hear somebody you considered a friend took advantage of you. That really sucks.
I hope you crossed him off your Christmas list.

Edited to add: It sounds to me your "friend" ended up lending your reel to someone else and was just covering up.

I think you are right Milo, I was looking at his past posts and he was looking for a reel for his cousin. Too bad I trusted him, no more though.

capman

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 09:58:09 PM »

I lost a fair share of my gears by lending it to friends. The last time I lended a $400 LW reel and rod to a friend, he lost it but replaced with another combo. The only problem was the new set he gave me only worth $180. :-\