Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lending Gear  (Read 10508 times)

mikeyman

Re: Lending Gear
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 10:40:53 PM »

If my dad had a penny for every fishing rod I broke when I was young he would have retired by now. Lol. Fishing is a past time meant to unwind, relax, and  excite to take away from our everyday responsibility in this crazy world we live in. A hobby, to share with  friends and family who wish to participate in the escape for the soul. A smashed reel or a broken rod as we all know is an inevitable part. For one who hesitates to disclose or the one who hasn't the means to replace, to the one who discloses and replaces. Understanding whatever the outcome and enjoying the next drift you make together is what matters. Who cares about a price tag. Hell let's grab a stick and tie some line to it at least we are fishing.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 07:55:56 AM by mikeyman »

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 07:57:57 AM »

A buddy was having trouble managing his new bait caster while fishing springs on a west coast river.  After multiple tangles he wanted to use his fly rod so I loaned him a small cheap fly reel I had along.  The fishing was tremendous and after perhaps a dozen big Springs the little reel was thrashed.  He kindly bought me a new reel and it is one of my best.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 09:11:06 AM »

I lost a fair share of my gears by lending it to friends. The last time I lended a $400 LW reel and rod to a friend, he lost it but replaced with another combo. The only problem was the new set he gave me only worth $180. :-\

I wouldnt have accepted that.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 10:21:01 AM »

Over the years I have upgraded gear, the old gear goes to the lending and spare pile. The new gear is mine and never gets lent out.
Although, I will gladly let somone try the quality gear while fishing together, so they can appreciate the diference in quality.

SPEYMAN

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 10:49:16 AM »

The only thing I lend out belongs to my tom cat. He always brings it back.

ThatDeafGuy

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 01:20:47 AM »

Over the years I have upgraded gear, the old gear goes to the lending and spare pile. The new gear is mine and never gets lent out.
Although, I will gladly let somone try the quality gear while fishing together, so they can appreciate the diference in quality.

I do the same thing, I've got an 'A' set and a 'B' set.  It's good to bring along a friend to introduce them to the sport and lend out your older gear without having to worry about them causing damage or stealing it.  (I'd still prefer to be able to trust them not to intentionally mistreat it!)
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.

speycaster

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 07:59:48 PM »

I do not lend out hunting gear, fishing gear, boats, vehicles or anything with a value of more than fifty bucks.  ;D  You are better off to loan stuff to your enemies, at least you know in advance that they will screw you.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2014, 04:29:10 PM »

I do not lend out hunting gear, fishing gear, boats, vehicles or anything with a value of more than fifty bucks.  ;D  You are better off to loan stuff to your enemies, at least you know in advance that they will screw you.

Says the man who always has a spare pontoon boat or fly rod in any weight for whoever happens to be without one when visiting the area. C'mon Mel, we all know you are a softie, stop pretending.  ;D

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2014, 06:44:40 PM »

A friend of mine lended a spey reel to his "old buddy" we will call "richard" that i realy didnt like...
To make sure he brought it back he made "Richard" give him something of the same value so when he returns the reel he gives the item back.
He ended up lending my friend a pontoon which he didnt use.
He got the reel back all scratched up with an excuse "i hooked a fish i tripped and the reel landed on the rocks, btw it sucks id return it"
But by the looks of it he didnt drop it was in such bad condition it looked like he accidentaly ran over it with his car.
He gave the pontoon two days later as "richard" forgot his trailer.
The next day when he showed up my friend said "here it is" it had a huge hole in it and "richard" said
"wtf did you do?" "well i got attacked by a bear,btw it sucks id return it"
Never heard from "richard" again..
Karma, i always laugh when i think about this story.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 08:16:25 PM by MetalAndFeathers »

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2014, 07:38:24 PM »

That made no sense.

riptide

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2014, 08:07:36 PM »

Sounds like 2 friends wrecking each others gear .
Fishing is not a matter of life or death ...it's more important than that

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2014, 08:13:28 PM »

Sounds like 2 friends wrecking each others gear .
Pretty much...

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2014, 08:16:52 PM »

I changed it alittle because it looks like some of you misunderstood it .

speycaster

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2014, 08:01:43 AM »

Says the man who always has a spare pontoon boat or fly rod in any weight for whoever happens to be without one when visiting the area. C'mon Mel, we all know you are a softie, stop pretending.  ;D

That is at the Drift, I always know where they sleep. Rob gets most of the loans, a better borrower you could not find. Also he has the same taste in beers as me, hoppy and dark. ;D Jamie from up in Chilliwack is also a good guy to loan a boat to. Most others get the rejection, unless they are in the early twenties and wearing a bikini.
Heck I will even lend you a boat Milo if you are in a bikini, see I can make exceptions to most rules. ;D ;D