Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NFR - Shooting in Ottawa  (Read 9027 times)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
NFR - Shooting in Ottawa
« on: October 22, 2014, 10:13:23 AM »

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.2065440

Shooting at Ottawa National Memorial, Parliament and Rideau Centre

Multiple Shooters.

Sad day.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
Re: NFR - Shooting in Ottawa
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 10:56:20 AM »

I'm curious to know the intent behind it, they keep calling it a terrorist attack. I have a feeling it's everyday Canadians who lost it. Doesn't really seem like the typical terrorist MO.

But agreed sad, sad day.

dobrolub

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 12:25:23 PM »

True. Very sad day.

The below was in the news yesterday .

Home » News » National
Canada raises domestic terrorism threat level
10/21/2014 06:25 PM Toronto Staff

Canada has raised its domestic terrorism threat level.

In a statement released Tuesday Jason Tamming, a spokesman for the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency, said the decision to raise the level was “linked to an increase in general chatter from radical Islamist organizations like ISIL, Al Qaeda, Al Shabaab and others who pose a clear threat to Canadians.”

TheFishingLad

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 03:34:22 PM »

I'm curious to know the intent behind it, they keep calling it a terrorist attack. I have a feeling it's everyday Canadians who lost it. Doesn't really seem like the typical terrorist MO.

But agreed sad, sad day.

It's important to note that the guy who ran down the two soldiers in his car on Monday had clear motives when you looked at his Facebook page (Which I can no longer locate). All signs pointed towards being an IS Sympathizer.

However, any media outlets claiming this shooting to be a terrorist attack needs to relax, and await further information coming down from higher ups. As of right now the who and why is questioned. Until such is determined it is not called terror attack, however likely it may be.

The biggest thing I can not stress enough is stay vigilant. If you see suspicious activity, likely with a weapon, call 911 immediately. Do not over react, 99% of those in support of Islam are still nice, friendly, harmless people. We just hope the public stays educated enough to not retaliate  on those citizens.

This affects us all.

Stay frosty.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 03:48:50 PM »

But agreed sad, sad day.

Waaaaaaaay too early to be calling it a terrorist attack. Typical media reaction. Sensationalism. My dad was a WW 2 vet. It bothers me when I hear a Canadian soldier was killed in line of duty. RIP Cpl. Nathan Cirillo

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 03:55:27 PM »

Turns out

a) single shooter
b) Parliament and War Memorial
c) Recent Muslim Convert....

I think we MIGHT be able to start using the "T" word.  That's two in 3 days.  :(

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 04:02:59 PM »

also his passport was taken from him, this is a big T.

dobrolub

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 04:21:28 PM »

Can some one explain the glass of wine ?

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 04:47:57 PM »

I have a very strong opinion about this but I just have to say its a sad day for the fallen soldier.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 05:00:26 PM »

But agreed sad, sad day.

what is a typical terrorist MO?

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 06:45:48 PM »

what is a typical terrorist MO?

Bombing, attacks on a large group of people, etc.

Not shooting one guy, then heading to a second location to do a second attack. It's usally focused on one target, and that target is often a large group. Yes 911 had two targets, but that was a huge planned thing involving 20+ people.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 08:03:45 PM »

In the international community, terrorism has no legally binding, criminal law definition.[1][2] Common definitions of terrorism refer only to those violent acts that are intended to create fear (terror); are perpetrated for a religious, political, or ideological goal; and deliberately target or disregard the safety of non-combatants (e.g., neutral military personnel or civilians). Some definitions now include acts of unlawful violence and war.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 11:42:14 PM »

Bombing, attacks on a large group of people, etc.

Not shooting one guy, then heading to a second location to do a second attack. It's usally focused on one target, and that target is often a large group. Yes 911 had two targets, but that was a huge planned thing involving 20+ people.

I was talking to my father about this. He's in the American Military. And was in the Pentagon when the third plan hit it. There was a total of Four plans.
He has served in the air force  for nearly most of his life, he said if this was a terrorist attack, what happened tonight would be considered a soft target (anything that can't defend itself)

Wednesdays are busy on the Hill, traditionally its busiest day, when the House of Commons does not sit and political parties hold caucus meetings with their members of Parliament and Senators. Each major party meets in its own room in Centre Block.
Basically you have our entire government in one place at one time. Imagine if it had actually escalated, we have no B team. Our government is done.
Much like chamber of the Senate , which is kind of a scary thought.

Now this is what GRINDS MY GEARS.

I refuse to allow terrorists to scare me. That's their goal so screw 'em, they don't win over me.
The media has been trying to scare us for a long time with cholesterol, sodium, AIDS, SARS, wars, GMOs, ebola, evil gun advocates, school shootings and so on.
I barely batted an eyelash when I heard the news. Don't get me wrong a person died today and another injured. This is what they have done to me, I have been completely desensitized to tragedy.
Nothing short of 9/11 pt. 2 will get any real reaction out of me because thousands die, starve and are killed every day. We don't care until it's on our turf, the "not in my house" mentality.
Now the West coast libtards are loving the opportunity to crap on Harper for this too, as typical blog-educated are wont to do.
"If Harper wasn't in charge, *insert why the world would be perfect here*"
Nothing like unprovable speculation, in the face of a tragedy, to try to convince people your political affiliation is the correct one.
Kinda went off there.

In conclusion: @#% ISIS, the media, social media and these keyboard cowboy political pundits.
Don't get me wrong I am not a fan of Harper, lol. But I see Americans do the same thing with Obama.

For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

TheFishingLad

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 06:03:54 AM »

FrayedKnot speaks the truth.

The only thing left up in the air is how Canada reacts to it. Whatever that may be, I hope it's not a knee jerk reaction.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 06:17:58 AM »

It's likely both recent incidents fit the rather loose definition(s) used for terrorist actions. Both also fit a pattern for lone wolf copy cat crimes for young men with mental health challenges that influenced their conversion to a violent political cause. On the face of it it looks like they acted alone.  It's to the Conservative Party advantage to see these acts perceived as terrorist acts since people become cautious and protective in such circumstances and more hesitant to make changes in government. Harper's big challenge is avoid blame - how could these have happened if they were competently monitoring the situation but exploit the public's desire for security.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.