Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NFR - Shooting in Ottawa  (Read 8966 times)

booters

Re: NFR - Shooting in Ottawa
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 07:45:40 AM »

Astounded when I heard that the Monument guards, yes armed but weapons unloaded. Ammunition not issued. I wonder if the guards saw it coming, the suspect approaching them with a shotgun? Unable to defend themselves and thus the suspect carries out his brazen act and continues to the Hill.
Canadian system too passive,conservative,I think so.

TheFishingLad

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 07:59:09 AM »

Astounded when I heard that the Monument guards, yes armed but weapons unloaded. Ammunition not issued. I wonder if the guards saw it coming, the suspect approaching them with a shotgun? Unable to defend themselves and thus the suspect carries out his brazen act and continues to the Hill.
Canadian system too passive,conservative,I think so.

You are not issued ammunition for Honour Guard.

booters

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 08:15:17 AM »

I understand that!!! So if otherwise could this travesty been unavoided? My point.

dobrolub

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 08:47:50 AM »

Don't think of it as a random attack. When the government starts beating the drums of war such things are bound to happen. When they need public support behind their actions they will use any means available to get that support. I'd suggest that like in the case with 911 you need to look at the power structures conflict prior to the event, their motives and their further actions. In my opinion it's all designed to provide an outcome that's so much greater in scale than the original event that (depending on how this situation evolves) the event being a random attack is highly improbable.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 09:03:36 AM »

Don't think of it as a random attack. When the government starts beating the drums of war such things are bound to happen.

Essentially Canada has declared war against the Islamic State however both attackers this week were reportedly Canadian citizens. We know what that makes them. It's a little late to argue the merits of Canada taking part in the US war on IS. Much of the mess is due both to previous US mishandling of affairs in the Middle East and indirectly to some of their allies in the regions.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

dobrolub

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 09:33:14 AM »

Not buying the 'little too late' excuse. It's not too late to declare neutrality. Canada should rebuild its reputation as a peace keeping nation, IMO.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 09:44:24 AM »

As Canada is both a member of NATO and NORAD a declaration of neutrality would be a non-sequitur. Withdrawing from those organizations would likely involve much higher risks in our long term relationships with the US which we can neither afford or win. A declaration of neutrality both denies reality and is a lose lose situation.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 11:41:28 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

dobrolub

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 09:55:38 AM »

By these merits the whole world has no choice. Canada has no choice, USA has no choice, UK has no choice, China, India, Russia, whatever, have no choice but to come together in one last fight. Great!

There'll be plenty of fish after that but no one to fish it.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 10:04:38 AM by dobrolub »

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2014, 11:49:29 AM »

By these merits the whole world has no choice. Canada has no choice, USA has no choice, UK has no choice, China, India, Russia, whatever, have no choice but to come together in one last fight. Great!

There'll be plenty of fish after that but no one to fish it.

Albert Einstein " I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but world War IV will be fought with sticks and stones "

If you really want to screw that Tin Foil hat on extra tight, the same time Harper declared war on ISIS after they instigated. (they being ISIS)
Its rather fascinating that we suddenly have minor outbreaks of Ebola. Which started in Africa (mostly eastern Africa), which is where Al-Qa’ida, Al-Shabaab, ISIS and so on. For the record, we aren't immunized for smallpox anymore because it was "wiped out". Also immunization is no longer available to the public according to CDC FAQ.
But it's basically on ice in Russia and USA as far as I know and I think Germany has a CDC as well?
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2014, 12:30:25 PM »

By these merits the whole world has no choice. Canada has no choice, USA has no choice, UK has no choice, China, India, Russia, ...

Canada had a choice which was not to participate much as it declined to participate in the post 911 invasion of Iraq and declined to participate in Vietnam in the 60s (Australia, New Zealand  and other allied states had combat troops there). Even if Harper now decided to pull out of the commitment to bomb IS, I doubt that would prevent the violence and security issues of the sort we have seen this week. My remarks about Canadian neutrality were specific about Canada and the US and what is unique about the relationship and the history of the 2 countries.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 02:49:11 PM by RalphH »

dobrolub

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2014, 01:33:19 PM »

I understand that RalphH, but times change and so should the rules of engagement. After all, any time progress is made some of the older rules get broken.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 01:35:09 PM by dobrolub »

arimaBOATER

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2014, 03:12:14 PM »

What we are experienced this past week hopefully will not happen again.
Last thing we need is for this type of crime to become common place.
Agree that 99% of Muslim faith followers are harmless & get along in N American society nevertheless it's the hard liners that interrupt the Koran that become radical.
They want to rule the world "at any cost".
Our way or the highway or "we cut your head off".
Many ex Isis left because they could not deal with the everyday violence done to captives.
Be headings,rapes,crucifixions,torture,buried alive on & on...
The books of the Muslim faith does justify killing non believers.
Christians & Jews are top of the list to be killed & atheist as well.

Convert or die.
But the whole Middle East is full of Muslim countries fighting each other or within ( civil war )
Any religion that kills people is not love. The God I want to follow has to be loving & forgiving.

Remember the English soldier who got his head cut off in Britain 2 years ago.
Plus an American Muslim soldier went on a rampage & shot a lot of fellow soldiers in the USA.
Plus Muslim terror group from Pakistan about 5-6 in number took over a major hotel in south west India. So many were murdered.

If you want to see a good debate on You Tube " Dave Hunt vs Shabir Ally"

Actually this is why a lot of the American people arm themselves.
Terror groups & high crime in their city.

I share my faith with Muslims all the time & find them to be friendly & never has it become a heated argument. But this is Canada. A Christian lady is on death row in Pakistan because of her faith.
Christian Iranian pastor in prison because of his faith.
Share your faith in Saudi Arabia & it's a death sentence.
Thank God for democratic countries where you can believe or not believe in "what ever".

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2014, 03:33:38 PM »

Religions have caused the deaths of millions in the name of their respective Gods.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2014, 10:15:47 PM »

Religions have caused the deaths of millions in the name of their respective Gods.
Totally agree.
So many crazy religious people claiming they have found the secret truth.
Cults throughout history have fooled billions & have murdered millions.
Word has it military agents dressed up as Russian orthodox priests & were seen praying for the rebels in eastern Ukraine.
Taliban going around shooting girls who want an education.
Suicide bombers blowing themselves up killing x number of people thinking they are doing "god's will." Plus they are told they will go straight to heaven & have 75 or so virgins thus an orgy awaits them. Fools being fooled.

But there have been millions & millions killed throughout history just because of political wars & wanting to have world domination.
N Korea possibly has the nukes & rockets to destroy large cities.
Just think if Japan or Germany invented the nuke bomb before the USA.
Basically the free world would of been defeated & the Germans & Japanese would of won WW 2.
Knowing human nature the Japanese & Germans would go to war to see who would be the "king of the castle"
Truly we are living in a very very dangerous time of history because there are just too many countries that have nukes & many are in very unstable countries.

Politics & false religions & cults have killed millions & millions & sadly will kill more millions.

Gee one family moved to the Falkland Islands thinking it would be a safe place to live.
Next thing England sent their navy to defend it  from Argentina ( they claimed the island or islands belonged to them )

People can believe what they want or do not want but when people decide to cause harm to peaceful others then that is wrong ( politics or religion )
Have your say but " agree to disagree " without killing people.
Too many stupid idiots going around killing others because they do not believe like they do.

Enjoy your fishing & raise your families & get along with each other here in Canada & every free democratic country.
Thank God Isis does not have nukes.
Organized evil people can cause a lot of trouble.
9-11.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 10:18:57 PM by A-BOATER »

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2014, 10:45:49 PM »

Bruce MacKinnon's Editorial