Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Teaching on the River, feels great.  (Read 12089 times)

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
Teaching on the River, feels great.
« on: October 15, 2014, 04:21:44 PM »

This morning I stopped to get a work out on my arms with some chum. I had my trusty Salmon setup ready to go with a float, weight, 30" leader, and a tied jig. There was a total of 4 guys on the run when I got there, I stepped in to the middle wide opening and started casting. 3 casts in caught a beauty doe chum, brought her in and let her go while keeping her in the water.

Two more older (60 something) gentlemen showed up and went on either side of me. Everyone in the run except me was using wool, the two newest guys without floats. I was catching fish after fish after fish. No one else seemed to catch anything except for two snagged and lost fish.

I lost my float on a big male, and decided to pack it in. As I turned around I noticed the two gentlemen rigging up their rods again after losing some tackle. I asked them where their floats were (with a friendly chuckle), and they said they had some but weren't using them. They asked how I was doing so well. I started to explain my setup with them, showing them the jigs, the float, the leader length.

They didn't have any jigs so I gave each of them one, and I helped them rig up the same setup I had. They were eternally grateful, and one of them, handed me a $20 bill to my protest. As I was rigging up the second guy he also tried to hand me a twenty. They were saying that my information and jigs had to be worth it. I poltitely declined the second $20 after accepting the first one (wanted to replace my jigs). The first gentlemen I setup had a fish within 3 casts, but one of his knots came loose!

Soon another gentlemen had come over and was happy I was showing these people a good setup. He too was using wool, but at least he was short floating it. He asked what the secret was and I showed him the jigs I was using, He said his son had told him about them, but he had never picked them up.

So I wished everyone good luck, and was on my way, As I was about to walk up the path two more gentlemen started asking me questions. I gave them the quick low down that I just told the others. Low and behold one of them had a nice purple jig in his box, and I told him that was the ticket with 24-36" leader at most. They thanked me and I walked away with a smile.

It felt amazing to help educate people who were flossing, snagging, or just not catching fish with wool. I felt like I had done something good today, and I hope they stick to it.

Humpy

Re: Teaching on the River, feels great.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 04:31:09 PM »

Excellent post, good on you!
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

notmebud

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 04:33:34 PM »

picture of the jig would be nice [I wondered what I was doing wrong new to the valley still trying to learn its nice to see people sharing there knowledge.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 04:34:22 PM »

Great job.
I find that using jigs for chum you don't need more than 12" leader. If you are drag free drifting (which is most effective) they don't care about the weight. Even winter steelhead I don't use more than 18".
More leader is useful for fishing blades.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 04:36:51 PM »

picture of the jig would be nice [I wondered what I was doing wrong new to the valley still trying to learn its nice to see people sharing there knowledge.

Perfect Chum jig

Humpy

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 04:38:05 PM »

Great job.
I find that using jigs for chum you don't need more than 12" leader. If you are drag free drifting (which is most effective) they don't care about the weight. Even winter steelhead I don't use more than 18".
More leader is useful for fishing blades.
By this, do you mean the pencil lead weight or the weight of the jig?

Humpy

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 04:39:58 PM »

For chum, anything with purple will catch you fish, sometimes they are picky. Make sure to have a variety of jigs available, pink jigs are nice too. Pink/Purple jigs are staples for fishing chum.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 04:40:29 PM »

Pencil lead. The weight of the jig makes the marabou or schlappen dance.

My favorites:
Chum Crack

Chum Candy

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 04:41:39 PM »

By this, do you mean the pencil lead weight or the weight of the jig?

I hate pencil lead weight. I use slider weights with beads. It's cleaner and tangles less on casts.

Humpy

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 04:44:01 PM »

Pencil lead. The weight of the jig makes the marabou or schlappen dance.

My favorites:
Chum Crack

Chum Candy

Those are some good jigs. Do you tie them or buy them?

Humpy

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 04:44:53 PM »

I hate pencil lead weight. I use slider weights with beads. It's cleaner and tangles less on casts.

I think I am going to try those weights, or split shots. Do you just slide them through and put a bead in between the weight and the swivel?

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 04:47:30 PM »

I tie 'em. Schlappen over Marabou for chum. Schlappen over Rabbit for Steelhead.

I also don't use pencil lead - instead I use egg weights in 1/8 or 1/4oz with a bead above the swivel.

(You might notice the reuse of the egg weights on the jigs :))

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 04:48:46 PM »

I think I am going to try those weights, or split shots. Do you just slide them through and put a bead in between the weight and the swivel?

Bead on either side of the weight. Larger one that fits in the spherical gap, and small one on top.

Humpy

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 04:52:27 PM »

Thanks guys, I'll be sure to try that next time. I believe egg weight and the bullet weights are similar but what about split shot? Is it better to use egg and bullet weights because you thread the line through and split shot could potentially damage your line? Which do you suggest and which weight? I hate having to cut pencil lead, these options would be much more convenient.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 05:04:15 PM »

3/8 weight for my SST float rod. Split shot are useless to me, hate using them.