Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Teaching on the River, feels great.  (Read 12088 times)

Archer

Re: Teaching on the River, feels great.
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2014, 09:39:43 PM »

No twitch when floating. Twitching jigs is without s float in slower water.

Excellent, thanks!!

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2014, 06:57:36 AM »

Had an opportunity yesterday morning to do something similar at the mouth of the Adams.To young men who arrived shortly after first light were struggling to cross the fast current at the mouth.I gave them some wading advice.They were happy for the tips.
 After an hour of watching me catch and release many trout and not having attracted a single one to either of their presentations one of them begged me to show them what I was using.What followed was a short discourse on leader length,weight, fly lines and technique as well as cast location and drift.Both were experienced fly guys.Just new here.They were profusely grateful for the help.The reward for me came when shortly after the Jason (they were both named Jason) next to me got into two double headers with me while his friend was away to the car to retrieve his switch rod.The second pair of fish were big.I released mine but Jason was still playing his and to my excitement it was the largest rainbow I have seen lately about six pounds.He was quaking with joy as he passed me his phone for a quick pic after I offered to take a shot of the fish.Tragically the fish popped off at his feet.He was still thrilled and was not sure his friend would believe him when he got back
  Had to go before the other Jayson returned as I am only allowed to fish three hours a day while work on the cabin continues.It was very rewarding to have helped these two nice young men experience some success though.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 07:02:46 AM by Riverman »
Riverman

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2014, 04:40:30 PM »

I also did something like this within the last month but I won`t go into the details. I gave someone advice and tackle after watching them fish on a wet rainy day without any rain gear - just an average jacket. Everyone else had left. He told me his wife was waiting the car. They had to go home to the interior that day but he wasn't leaving until either in got dark or he caught a fish. I told him what has worked for me and where the fish were. I thought they deserved to catch a fish.

Tell you something else the experience those gents were having before Flytech gave them some advice backs up something I believe. Most people who show up on the Vedder with only their experience of catching sockeye on the Fraser will soon realize it doesn`t work that well there and will either change their methods or just give up.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2014, 05:59:25 PM »

Hi Guys.
Can anyone recommend a good YouTube video that shows this type of fishing technique.
Going to give it a try at the Cap this monday :)

This is the best video I have found to explain and show how short floating works from an underwater perspective.  Do the same for Chum, Coho, Chinook or Steel, just change up the terminal gear as you wish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvOQpv7aEWY

As already mentioned keep your jig off the bottom.  If fishing the Stave go real short, as in at least 2-3 ft off the bottom.  This will almost entirely eliminate accidentally snagging fish, reduce the number of stale dark fish you catch and increase the number of fresher more aggressive fish you hit.

Hope this helps and good luck; let us know how you do.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 06:00:57 PM by Knnn »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2014, 09:49:22 PM »

So I channeled my inner Flytech today...even if he is a facist!. :)  Seriously, your original post to start this thread came to mind today.

I was spincasting for coho today. The older gentleman on my right was casting something...Looked to be a very large spoon/small flasher trailed by a piece of wool on a hook. The young teen on my right was casting a small buzzbomb, but on his retrieve was just cranking it through the water.

I was tempted to be a little smug and just carry on in my "superior knowledge and experience", but a little niggling voice in me was prodding me to be generous and gracious.

So I gave the older gentleman (Mo, was his name) a Croc and gave another to the father of the teen, and then talked with the dad and mom for a while. 

Good luck guys!

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2014, 10:06:56 PM »

I don't really have much of a story to share about helping others but more like I ended up making friends with a gentleman from Richmond who decided to come try the vedder and another guy learning to drift for the time, watched him land an amazing dog today, so the three of us just kinda hung out and shared advice, someone had already helped the guy with rigging his main line just before he hooked the chum, the two fly fishermen totally got skunked though! :P

I'm curious to see the Gordon Ramsay of the river! "YOU DONKEY! Where'd you learn to fish?! You not a surgeon stop ripping the lips off the fish!" "Are you done!?"
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 10:08:44 PM by A Frayed Knot »
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2014, 06:47:31 AM »

So I channeled my inner Flytech today...even if he is a facist!. :)  Seriously, your original post to start this thread came to mind today.

Nobody's perfect. ;) glad to hear it clarki, I would love to see more posts like this. I think we would make a difference.

KarateKick

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2014, 01:51:18 PM »

Flytech, I want to be your daughter.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2014, 06:10:48 PM »

Flytech, I want to be your daughter.

Well my wife is pregnant... Maybe if you die and come back, that might be a possibility. ;)

islanddude

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2014, 07:02:26 PM »

Fishing on the Quinsam the other day and came across a father and his two young boys fishing a piece of water that doesn't produce. I went to the next hole above them and proceeded to shake two cohos off since I was only looking for jacks.
  I walked down to the trio and told them that the next run above had lots of cohos in it that were on the bite. We walked up there, showed them where the fish were holding.
 I watched the two young guys start fishing. I suggested where they should cast and then left. I don't know if they caught anything but they had mastered casting with their spinning reels.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2014, 07:40:06 PM »

Awesome Island dude! I really like the idea of making a father son fishing trip a little better. That and old guys who are willing to learn. That's who I like to help the most.

Beach Caster

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2014, 07:55:29 PM »

Made my annual trip up to the Vedder from Seattle last weekend.  Buddy and I fished the lower river and hooked many Coho while others around us didn't.   Decided to share how deadly jig fishing can be on estuary Coho, gave away advice and free jigs (turned down several offers of payment) to many new friends.  One Gent used one of our jigs and limited in 1.5 hours with four nice Coho.   All I ask is don't vandalize my vehicle because were Yanks.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2014, 08:16:28 PM »

Made my annual trip up to the Vedder from Seattle last weekend.  Buddy and I fished the lower river and hooked many Coho while others around us didn't.   Decided to share how deadly jig fishing can be on estuary Coho, gave away advice and free jigs (turned down several offers of payment) to many new friends.  One Gent used one of our jigs and limited in 1.5 hours with four nice Coho.   All I ask is don't vandalize my vehicle because were Yanks.

Where were you parked? Sorry to hear your car was vandalized. Jig fishing on the vedder is great if you get to the right spots.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2014, 10:47:12 PM »

Just search this forum for all sorts of Canadians, Yankees, all people's cars getting vandalized on the Vedder.  That, the garbage and the poaching are a big problem on the river. In fact it's probably alot of the same losers doing it too.