Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano River violations  (Read 32007 times)

rustybee

Capilano River violations
« on: September 28, 2014, 12:45:27 AM »

Saw an funny dude fishing with roe yesterday. Caught at least one fish. Called DFO to report but didn't think the officer was too motivated to catch the perp....

bald_seagull

Re: Capilano River violations
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 12:46:23 PM »

Saw an funny dude fishing with roe yesterday. Caught at least one fish. Called DFO to report but didn't think the officer was too motivated to catch the perp....

ya i saw the same, buddy with the blue heeler caught a 20 lb plus spring on roe
i informed him that there was a bait ban
he continued to use it
he was back this morning caught a nice coho on roe
eventually enough guys must have told him to stop as he switched to plastic after about 4 hours
called dfo twice now

side note a flossed fish at least comes in head first
ive seen many springs now foul hooked and kept at hwy 1 pools
enough that theres no reason the officer shouldnt head down there
if you have 1500 dollars worth of gear that you are using/ wearing and look like a rich prick, tht doesnt mean you are exempt from following the rules
boys and men craning in springs hooked in the back, what lb test are they using lol

first time in my life ive seen guys bonking fish and high fiveing over 30 min battles with tailhooked springs
i guess if you eat the fish its not the end of the world but come on 

i most likely for have to look for a more quiet pools on this fishery as what i saw this weekend was quite hilarious and pretty sad,
ive fished areas this packed with people competing for significantly less fish before and ive never really seen this behaviour before, only just from a select few, theres enough guys out there that the fishery could police itself if individuals would speak up, i would like to think im not the only one who sees whats going on

this is my first year out here, im sure its like that every year at that pool 

rant over

Tenz85

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 01:23:43 PM »

Lack of signs for the how to follow regs for dummies out there.. I wonder if it were there if they would even follow it..

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 02:41:29 PM »

Lack of signs for the how to follow regs for dummies out there.. I wonder if it were there if they would even follow it..

All fishermen have their own responsibility to read the regulation before hand. There is no excuses..!!!!!!!!

Tenz85

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 02:51:35 PM »

All fishermen have their own responsibility to read the regulation before hand. There is no excuses..!!!!!!!!
Totally agree; however, information help the I'll informed and let's face it now a days everything has to be idiot proofed so a sign could save countless salmon foul or deep hooked which may like die from exhaustion or injury.

Golfer

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 03:04:36 PM »

I can guarantee you, that atleast 90% of the people you see retaining snagged salmon on the Cap, know that they are not supposed keep foul hooked salmon.  I think it is more of a complete disregard of the rules whether it be the bait ban or snagging/flossing of the salmon. The lack of consequences and deterents(visible officers) for performing these acts, keeps people coming back to the river, day in, and day out to practice these illegal methods of "fishing." 

I remember watching an episode of Alaska State Troopers, where they caught someone snaggings sockeyes, and they promplty took away all of there gear, fish and wrote them quite a large fine.

G-Ratt

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 03:10:14 PM »

The Vedder has such a bad reputation for confrontation and unethical fishing techniques, but after 3 years of fishing both systems extensively, I've found The Cap to be so much worse.

Also don't enjoy the snooty attitude of some of the older anglers on Capilano, I've been crowded out of spots countless times by more seasoned fishermen decked out in all of the latest, most expensive gear. And if you try to start a conversation with them, you are either ignored, or get a healthy dose of rude answers.

"Any luck today?"

"Yup"

"Oh great! What did you get?"

"Fish"

"Cool, what did you get it on?"

"Stuff"

ride604

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 09:43:28 PM »

this is my first year out here, im sure its like that every year at that pool 

My first year too, and what I saw at highway 1 pool on Thursday was disgusting.  Two snaggers running 60 pound braid to  40 pound leader ripping out fish every 15 min.  They would drag the fish onto the rocks without identifying it, tail hooked, fin hooked, or belly hooked, and either retain it or throw it back in the water.  When they found out that I had threatened to call DFO earlier on an individual who was going to retain a foul hooked fish they started yelling insults at me across the river so I wasn't exactly keen on telling them off.  Called DFO (says on RAPP site to call DFO for salmon violations) and stayed for another 90 minutes so I could point the offenders out, but no one came.  Ended up reviving four of their released fish, one of which barely revived.  In the two and a half hours I was there they must have had nine to ten fish on, none of which were mouth hooked, two of which were illegally retained (one dorsal fin hooked, one hooked below pectoral fins), and and all of which were dragged ten feet onto the shore before being thrown back into the water.  One of the fish that they retained they bonked, the other was kicked in the body and left to suffocate on the rocks.  They proceeded to laugh about how they were fined $150 dollars last year so ignorance was certainly out of the question, that and they would yell "mouth hooked!" when they retained their two snagged fish.  Two white males, late twenties to mid thirties, one wearing black Gibbs Delta t-shirt, both white trash.  Went back the next day to see five anglers get stranded on an island in rising water, which thankfully brought some humor to my limited (3x) Capilano experiences.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 09:45:48 PM by ride604 »

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 09:54:43 PM »

Two white males, late twenties to mid thirties, one wearing black Gibbs Delta t-shirt, both white trash. 

Be nice, please watch out how you use your words in the pubic forum.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 10:16:59 PM »

Fished a mid river pool. 17/19 guys using roe... Left quick and hiked into the canyon for some peace. Guys using roe again. Kept going and and found a nice pool and it was very worth it. Fly fisherman doing very well lately. I don't get it, call in from many different people and not a single CO and EVERYONE is using bait. And let's not even talk about the barbs.

dobrolub

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 10:52:27 PM »

roe and worms: the gas station at Capilano's HWY 1 exit sells roe and worms year around regardless of the bans in effect.

ride604

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 04:44:21 PM »

Arrived at Highway 1 pool at 0615 today, place looked like a murder scene.  Fresh blood everywhere and 15-20 fish worth of fresh roe in two piles, looked like someone had a long night of snagging,  probably retained 30-40 fish (assuming 50/50 male/female ratio?).  Pulled two massive trebles out of foul hooked fish (not mine, no action on spoons/spinners) with high test mono and braid straight to the hook, and the shank wrapped in pencil lead.  Knew it was legal for FN to snag but didn't realize it was done on such a grand scale.  Cap noob (4x) so unsure if this is forum worthy or just another day on the Cap.

chromeo

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 04:56:33 PM »

Should report it to the authorities.  RAPP

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/rapp/form.htm

beyond disgusting.

Drewhill

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 05:02:36 PM »

I thought they are not allowed to snag on public land?

dobrolub

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 05:19:17 PM »

Ugh. this is heart breaking.

Saw another snagged today at 4:00. Reported the bastard!

Taking a good zoom camera with me next time.