Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano River violations  (Read 32238 times)

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
Re: Capilano River violations
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 05:20:07 PM »

All fishermen have their own responsibility to read the regulation before hand. There is no excuses..!!!!!!!!

Problem is, they don't. So what else do we try?

Golfer

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 06:04:09 PM »

Arrived at Highway 1 pool at 0615 today, place looked like a murder scene.  Fresh blood everywhere and 15-20 fish worth of fresh roe in two piles, looked like someone had a long night of snagging,  probably retained 30-40 fish (assuming 50/50 male/female ratio?).  Pulled two massive trebles out of foul hooked fish (not mine, no action on spoons/spinners) with high test mono and braid straight to the hook, and the shank wrapped in pencil lead.  Knew it was legal for FN to snag but didn't realize it was done on such a grand scale.  Cap noob (4x) so unsure if this is forum worthy or just another day on the Cap.

Assuming those are from the 'caretakers,' of the land, they will probably claim that the coho are for subsistence or religious sacrfices, when in reality, they will most likely be sold out of the back of their pickups, as law enforecement turns a blind eye.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 06:16:29 PM »

Arrived at Highway 1 pool at 0615 today, place looked like a murder scene.  Fresh blood everywhere and 15-20 fish worth of fresh roe in two piles, looked like someone had a long night of snagging,  probably retained 30-40 fish (assuming 50/50 male/female ratio?).  Pulled two massive trebles out of foul hooked fish (not mine, no action on spoons/spinners) with high test mono and braid straight to the hook, and the shank wrapped in pencil lead.  Knew it was legal for FN to snag but didn't realize it was done on such a grand scale.  Cap noob (4x) so unsure if this is forum worthy or just another day on the Cap.

Whoever it was, looks like they left in a hurry leaving their knife and big mess behind... you'd think if they were worried about getting caught they'd clean up after themselves. Maybe someone spooked them.

bald_seagull

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 06:20:32 PM »

i gotta figure if your going in the middle of the night you most likely arent FN

those look like mostly spring eggs as the skiens are quite large

BCLAX

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 06:42:13 PM »

That's horse****. DFO better do something or someone will take matters into there own hands and it could end badly. I understand DFO is stretched out. Sad thing is this happens on all rivers every year, these guys just didn't clean up. No respect.

kevzabob

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 07:11:40 PM »

Looks like they could have anchored a boat with those
Hooks.

Dfo should do a night stake out.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 07:54:34 PM »

Can we volunteer to do the DFO's job?

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 08:12:55 PM »

wow, if those pics dont get dfo out i dont know what will

Pin-nook

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 08:25:11 PM »

Posted a pic on a Poachers Facebook page of the same thing that happened there many years ago and the guys that did it came back to do it again another night and got busted. Bet you guys can't guess where they came from? ;)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 08:41:48 PM »

Why are tackle shops selling those size hooks ? Rather obvious what those are going to be used for

BCLAX

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2014, 08:54:10 PM »

Halibut

Golfer

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2014, 08:57:10 PM »

Why are tackle shops selling those size hooks ? Rather obvious what those are going to be used for

Guides were using hooks that size while hali fishing in Kyuquot sound.

However, if someone comes into the shop and buys only large trebles and coiled lead, i would atleast hope they would question the purchasers method of fishing.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2014, 09:11:22 PM »

Those photos are so depressing.  Please tell me they were sent to DFO.  I know there is little chance that the perpetrators will be caught but .... sigh, so sad.

bsmcrosseyed

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2014, 09:20:51 PM »

Need to gather a group of like minded river ambassadors to walk in groups confronting bad fishermen. Enforcement has deteriorated since Harper laid off 1/3 of the DFO staff in BC.

ride604

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2014, 09:41:59 PM »

Should report it to the authorities.  RAPP

Filled out the online form and hyperlinked high res versions of the pictures, thanks for the link.

Whoever it was, looks like they left in a hurry leaving their knife and big mess behind... you'd think if they were worried about getting caught they'd clean up after themselves. Maybe someone spooked them.

Neglected to mention that there was a dead gutted fresh spring on the stairs to the pool when we walked down, must have been dropped when hauling their kill.  We (father and I) were first on scene, pretty sketchy spot given highway 1 walkway above and residual light from lampposts.

i gotta figure if your going in the middle of the night you most likely arent FN

Fair point, assumed FN (legal retention?) because of how brazen poachers would have to be.

Those photos are so depressing.  Please tell me they were sent to DFO.  I know there is little chance that the perpetrators will be caught but .... sigh, so sad.

Sent to RAPP via online reporting system.  I know DFO has jurisdiction over all Salmon issues but I was unable to find any way to file a report online with them.  I would imagine RAPP is regularly called regarding Salmon violations, and has some inter agency cooperation with the DFO.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 09:56:35 PM by ride604 »