Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Line size vs Casting distance on a baitcaster  (Read 11349 times)

Animal Chin

Re: Line size vs Casting distance on a baitcaster
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 01:31:55 PM »

You switched out the bearings on a Calcutta? Was it a worthwhile difference? I'm tempted with my Luna but it's one of those why fix something that ain't broken.

Personally I'm not the best caster, but anything about 3/4 to an ounce, I can cast pretty much as far as my spinning reel but anything lighter definitely my spinning reel takes it, especially 1/4 ounce spoons, never mind spinners. I never expected to cast my level wind like I can with a spinning reel.

Mind you I have fireline on my spinning reel and 17lb mono on my levelwind but still, for me, the spinning reel will bomb farther.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 01:37:43 PM »

My upgraded C3 with 30lb Slick8 braid and Shimano Symetre with 8lb Nanofil will cast the same distance with a 3/8 oz spoon - the rod is the limiting factor.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 01:44:28 PM »

Yes we are using all six brake weights.  What would be the trade off of using just 3...wouldn't it increase chance of backlash?

My 6500 C3 and a buddy's C4 Elite only use 2 brake tabs.

Here's the schematic for a standard C4:
http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/userpics/10001/6500C4__16_00.pdf

Here's the one for my buddy's C4 Elite:
http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/ambassadeur/Ambassadeur_6500C4_07_00.pdf

I did the bearing upgrades a week or two ago - got them from Mike's.
They are super busy right now and may not be answering the phone.
We couldn't get through and my buddy just showed up and picked up what he needed.

You may need to go through the schematics to determine what part numbers you need.
If you take your reel in with you, they can probably figure it out quickly.

Very simple to replace - pull the handle side off - pull the spool and replace the 2 bearings on either end of the spool.

You can see the bearings in the schematics.
One is covered with a plastic gear that just pops off - the other has a small o-ring.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 01:55:26 PM »

You switched out the bearings on a Calcutta? Was it a worthwhile difference? I'm tempted with my Luna but it's one of those why fix something that ain't broken.

Personally I'm not the best caster, but anything about 3/4 to an ounce, I can cast pretty much as far as my spinning reel but anything lighter definitely my spinning reel takes it, especially 1/4 ounce spoons, never mind spinners. I never expected to cast my level wind like I can with a spinning reel.

Mind you I have fireline on my spinning reel and 17lb mono on my levelwind but still, for me, the spinning reel will bomb farther.

I switched out two bearings on my Calcutta and added another bearing where a bushing was used (mike's site will explain this) Even though the stock bearings are pretty good, I did notice about a 30% difference in casting distance.  Also the ceramic bearings require no lubing and less maintenance.

Chris S,  Yes, using 3 brake weights does increase the likelihood of a backlash but not by too much.  I find using 2 or 1 makes it much tougher (but that's just me).  What you need to do is to adjust your tension knob on the side of the reel so that your weight falls from your rod tip to the ground in about 1.5 seconds in a controlled manner (when you set to free spool).  Adjusting your tension knob, I find, makes a huge difference in the amount of backlash.  You may find you lose a little bit of distance over having the knob completely loose but it you won't have to put your thumb on the spool as much to control the spin. 

Tenz85

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 05:04:25 PM »

BTW O.P. why are you concerned about casting distance?

Ive heard contrary to most peoples belief that fish often bite mid to close range and seldom way out there.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 05:32:01 PM »

BTW O.P. why are you concerned about casting distance?

Ive heard contrary to most peoples belief that fish often bite mid to close range and seldom way out there.
Every steelhead I have caught has been 80+ feet away. I try fishing close but on pressured water like the Vedder they often aren't there.
I especially like to follow spey guys. They push them right up against the far bank.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 05:54:43 PM »

I think he is bottom bouncing as talked about 2oz, I would take the brakes off try 3 then 2.

FishingKing

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 07:59:39 PM »

I'll let you know in a few days if it was worth it or not.

Tenz85

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2014, 09:15:40 PM »

Every steelhead I have caught has been 80+ feet away. I try fishing close but on pressured water like the Vedder they often aren't there.
I especially like to follow spey guys. They push them right up against the far bank.
Totally understand it for steel heading and you want to hit the deep pool on the otherside or that boulder or etc.
Heck personally I think the fish can see you from close up so if you cast out far then they bite close its because they chased the lure.
Guess it all comes down to the applicatjon/technique being applied.

DB

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2014, 06:09:46 PM »

My baitcaster wont cast anything with 2 oz and below. I put a 6oz just to see how far it would go and I was only getting around 40-50 feet. Has 50LB braided line..

Dont know if I should switch to 30lb braided or 30 LB mono too see what will work better or not, this is the rod and reel I have..

http://rapala.ca/products/delta-casting-combo

(Also buying a new Abu, don't know what would be best for my main line for that one)

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2014, 10:21:27 PM »

My baitcaster wont cast anything with 2 oz and below. I put a 6oz just to see how far it would go and I was only getting around 40-50 feet. Has 50LB braided line..

That doesnt sound right at all. 50 ft max distance and you need 6oz? and you cant cast 2oz? Are you sure your cast control etc is set right?

Lighter line should increase casting distance but it sounds like something else is wrong ...

DB

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2014, 10:34:13 PM »

Ya I know, I have 2 other bait casters1 for my lake fishing, one for coho and they work amazing but there both Abu's this is Delta and I dont know if its the line or what, but it sucks at casting and everything is set perfect. I put a 1 oz weight on the line in the park for practise for this one too and it wouldn't go further then 10-15 feet 

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2014, 08:27:24 AM »

I received a PM but can't reply because I'm not a subscriber.
Generally a family of reels will use the same size bearing, but different manufacturers and different families from the same manufacturer will use different sizes.
I like the ones form Mikes because they have the inside races removed for easier cleaning.
Abu C3 uses 4 x 10 x 4mm
http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/ceramic-abec-bearing-p-6349.html

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2014, 10:46:24 AM »

Ya I know, I have 2 other bait casters1 for my lake fishing, one for coho and they work amazing but there both Abu's this is Delta and I dont know if its the line or what, but it sucks at casting and everything is set perfect. I put a 1 oz weight on the line in the park for practise for this one too and it wouldn't go further then 10-15 feet

Unfortunately it sounds like the reel rather than the line.  50lb braid is plenty thin enough and not much of a difference between 30lb braid.  I once purchased a Calcutta 400 copy, made from an obscure company that is no longer in business.  It looked nice on the outside but when I tried casting it with 1 or 2 ounce weights it wouldn't go further than 30 feet.  Biggest waste of money that I've ever spent and I ended up throwing it away.  I've learned my lesson and have since stuck with Abu's and Calcuttas after that.

I suspect that its the cheap bearings that are in there.  I honestly though it would cast better without the bearings in them.  Maybe I should have tried putting better bearings in but I didn't want to waste any more time on that POS.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2014, 09:11:43 PM »

I received a PM but can't reply because I'm not a subscriber.
Generally a family of reels will use the same size bearing, but different manufacturers and different families from the same manufacturer will use different sizes.
I like the ones form Mikes because they have the inside races removed for easier cleaning.
Abu C3 uses 4 x 10 x 4mm
http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/ceramic-abec-bearing-p-6349.html

--Thanks for the answer.  I'll just have to try and get a source. Agree Mikes has most stuff.
--There must be some down side? I can't understand why reels over $100 don't come with them I'm sure it wouldn't add much cost to the reel.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 09:13:23 PM by skaha »