Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No trebles in the salt - Capilano to Pt Atkinson  (Read 6722 times)

fisharoo

No trebles in the salt - Capilano to Pt Atkinson
« on: August 26, 2014, 04:00:23 PM »

The guys at Pacific Angler were telling me that you're not allowed to use treble hooks in the in salt in west van from the Cap to Pt Atkinson. They seemed pretty convinced about it and had me pick up some single hooks to replace my trebles.

Anyone seen this in the regs anymore? I can't find it. I called DFO, but they don't answer or return my calls.

All I can see is the usual: Gear: Barbless Hook & Line unless specified

and this Special Measures:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s28-eng.html#salmonrestriction
"It is illegal to.... use more than two single barbless hooks in tandem, each measuring no greater than 15 mm between the point and the shank of the hook may be used in Burrard Inlet near the mouth of the Capilano River from the 14 St. Pier, to Prospect Light, to the north tower of Lions Gate Bridge"

From the guide.
Barbless hooks are required for all salmon and sea-run trout
fishing. Barbless treble hooks are acceptable in most areas,
however barbless single hooks are a requirement in many
tidal areas of coastal rivers as well as areas requiring special
management measures. These areas are described in the
accompanying tables.

The table in the guide says the same:
Aug 01-Dec 31
Two single barbless hooks in tandem, each no greater than 15 mm from point to shank may be used in Burrard
Inlet near the mouth of the Capilano River from the 14 St. Pier to Prospect Light to the north tower of Lions Gate
Bridge.

In contrast, that's a lot different from Area 22, which says:
Only one single pointed barbless hook may be used in the tidal waters of Nitinat Lk. inside a line from Whyac Pt. to Tsuquanah Pt

My interpretation is no trebles, only one single or two singles from the 14 St. Pier to Prospect Light house to the north tower of Lions Gate Bridge.

blackskull

Re: No trebles in the salt - Capilano to Pt Atkinson
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 04:29:29 PM »

There's also an effective period between Aug 1 and Dec 31.  Out of that time period, it certainly looks like it's legal to use pinched trebles.

In fact, if you watch the the video of Rodney out with Rick Clark, you'll see them using a treble.  That was in July though. 
http://youtu.be/lycvibS_SCY

From: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s28-eng.html#salmonrestriction
All Species, Closures and Special Measures

Vancouver Port - all year: For navigational safety, Port Metro Vancouver has prohibited fishing from vessels between a line drawn true south from Capilano Light to the shoreline and a line drawn true north from Brockton Point to the shoreline.

Aug 1 - Dec 31:

It is illegal to.... use more than one single-pointed hook that measures no greater than 15 mm between the point and the shank of the hook in the tidal waters of the Seymour River from the BC Railway bridge downstream to the fishing boundary signs located on the west and east shore of the Seymour River. If fishing for salmon, cutthroat trout or steelhead trout, hooks must be barbless
    It is illegal to.... use more than two single barbless hooks in tandem, each measuring no greater than 15 mm between the point and the shank of the hook may be used in Burrard Inlet near the mouth of the Capilano River from the 14 St. Pier, to Prospect Light, to the north tower of Lions Gate Bridge
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 04:32:16 PM by blackskull »

ShaunO

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 10:00:24 PM »

Page 28 of the Sport Fishing Guide:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/docs/SFGtidal-GPSmaree-2014-eng.pdf

"Two single barbless hooks in tandem, each no greater than 15 mm from point to shank may be used in Burrard
Inlet near the mouth of the Capilano River from the 14 St. Pier to Prospect Light to the north tower of Lions Gate
Bridge. "

Tenz85

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 05:48:43 AM »

I'm curious of this too. Been trying to get I contact with dfo to clarify. Was checked by dfo on Fraser recently while sturgeon fishing but forgot to ask...
That reg sure does leave it open to speculation though. As in does it mean you can't use 3 single barbless hooks or not use a treble hook period. As for fish conservation /catch and release, I've heard people say treble hooks are bad for fish but also heard that trebles are better..

fisharoo

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 12:35:28 PM »

DFO called me back. They're going to look into it and get back to me.

@Tenz85. Good point. I was running singles today and they got swallowed good. Most of my trebles don't go too deep.

Burbot

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 02:23:50 PM »

To make things simple Treble Hooks should be outlawed everywhere.

fisharoo

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 05:16:08 PM »

This forum needs a "Like" button! Burbot. Sounds good to me!

islanddude

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 06:22:11 PM »

In tandem mean " one behing the other"  so a treble hook is not in tandem so it should be legal. Try using a buzz bomb with a single hook and see how many fish you hook.

ShaunO

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 07:34:08 PM »

Here is a head scratcher for anyone who has bought saltwater gear locally and fished in area 29 (Fraser River, Tidal Fraser, Mouth of Fraser and Georgia Straight).  How many hootchies or teaser heads, bucktails, etc. have you bought from a local shop that have tandem single hooks? Pretty much everything I have in the tackle box is tandem hooks.

"In Area 29 other than the tidal portion of the Fraser River angling gear permitted for salmon fishing shall include a lure or bait with only one single barbless hook. A
person may angle in the tidal portion of the Fraser River with a bar rig consisting of no more than two single barbless hooks attached to a fishing line each of which
has a barbless point. The lower and upper tidal fishing boundaries of the Fraser River are described on the back of the inside folder at the front of this guide."

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 07:47:34 PM »

"In Area 29 other than the tidal portion of the Fraser River angling gear permitted for salmon fishing shall include a lure or bait with only one single barbless hook. A
person may angle in the tidal portion of the Fraser River with a bar rig consisting of no more than two single barbless hooks attached to a fishing line each of which
has a barbless point. The lower and upper tidal fishing boundaries of the Fraser River are described on the back of the inside folder at the front of this guide."

It is a mistake when I called they told me it should read.

"In Area 29 the tidal portion of the Fraser River angling gear permitted for salmon fishing shall include a lure or bait with only one single barbless hook.......... ect.

It's to prevent people from using tandem hooks on bar rigs.
It will be fixed in the next edition
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 07:49:56 PM by canso »

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 07:55:55 PM »

In tandem mean " one behing the other"  so a treble hook is not in tandem so it should be legal. Try using a buzz bomb with a single hook and see how many fish you hook.

I've caught dozens of coho on a green buzz bomb using a single barbless hook on the chuck. Works just fine

blackskull

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 03:32:24 PM »

Again, same as I said above, between Aug. 1 and Dec. 31.

Page 28 of the Sport Fishing Guide:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/docs/SFGtidal-GPSmaree-2014-eng.pdf

"Two single barbless hooks in tandem, each no greater than 15 mm from point to shank may be used in Burrard
Bridge. "

1stlite

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 04:29:32 PM »

I have had this discussion with other veteran anglers that have read the regs. for tidal water sport fishing for area 28. As it is explained in the book - All Fin Fish, seems like you are able to use a "barbless" treble hook from the beginning of the calendar year till July 31. There is no mention of not using a treble hook.
Then from Aug. 1 till the end of the calendar year they do mention a "single barbless hook".
Over the years I have noticed the re-wording in the book to try and explain and cover the rules & regs. a bit better. Still a bit hard to understand.
Keep in mind the regs. are slightly different for other areas.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 09:58:28 AM »

I use buzz bombs with single barbless all the time and they catch fish just fine.  Maybe YOU should take your own advice and try it!  :P
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 11:41:42 AM »

In all honesty I would never use a treble on any fish, not even halibut. Treble absolutely mangle fish and especially if you don't know what you might catch/can't retain some of the species you might encounter, there is no point maiming the fish for the sole purpose of "getting a better hook set" or reducing your chances of losing it.