Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to start fly fishing  (Read 16480 times)

CW89

• Go Habs Go!
How to start fly fishing
« on: August 19, 2014, 05:33:19 PM »

I have never used a fly rod, I am 25 and just got back into fishing after stopping when I was 12. Fly fishing has always appealed to me. My grandfather used to go on trips to the north and that has always drawn me to the idea of fishing on the fly. Unfortunately he isn't around to teach me anymore. So...

I was wondering if you guys had any resources or tips you could lay out for me. As I said I am a complete green horn. In fact, I don't even own a rod yet. Suggestions on a good beginners setup would be greatly appreciated as I have a birthday coming up and it would be nice to have some suggestions to give people.

I realize I could do a google search and probably will, but I much prefer the interaction of a forum.

Thanks in advance.

TL:DR: newbie to fly fishing looking for tips, resources, basic setup advice and any knowledge the more experienced would pass on.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 05:35:30 PM by CW89 »
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

Castor

Re: How to start fly fishing
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 08:11:22 PM »

if you want to get a low cost, halfway decent setup go to army and navy, they've got really good deals for starter packages. besides that I pretty much learned how to cast from watching youtube but i would also suggest calling around to Michael and Young fly shop, berry's bait and tackle or really any fly shop to see what they offer for a 1 hour lesson. stop bad habits before they start  ;) . next, hit your local soccer pitch and practice, practice, practice. it's an amazing sport but it takes some effort. I picked up a fly rod just over 2 years ago and haven't touched my casting gear since...just wait till you get a spey rod in your hands!! 8)

I'd fish that

CW89

• Go Habs Go!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 08:49:11 PM »

if you want to get a low cost, halfway decent setup go to army and navy, they've got really good deals for starter packages. besides that I pretty much learned how to cast from watching youtube but i would also suggest calling around to Michael and Young fly shop, berry's bait and tackle or really any fly shop to see what they offer for a 1 hour lesson. stop bad habits before they start  ;) . next, hit your local soccer pitch and practice, practice, practice. it's an amazing sport but it takes some effort. I picked up a fly rod just over 2 years ago and haven't touched my casting gear since...just wait till you get a spey rod in your hands!! 8)

I live close to Berry's, I love supporting them. Out of curiousity how much would a starter rod and reel cost. Id prefer to get something decent, so it lasts.
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 10:45:10 PM »

Depends on what you want to do with it.

One of the rod outfits I have heard of that is quite good is the Orvis Encounter series, but I have no first hand experience with it.

I do have the encounter reel, and I suggest you loosen it (like your suppossed to...) after each outing to avoid compressing the drag. 

I know Echo and believe TFO also make begginner outfits.  Just shop around.

Another thing to note is what species you are targetting.  For example the equipment to fish for stillwater rainbows will vary a little bit from rainbows in a rive., and a fair bit from salmon in a river and different again from salmon in salt.

The main difference is a stillwater rainbow does not require any drag due to the lack of current, allowing hand stripping without losing the fish.  In all of my river scenarios I try to get the fish on the reel, as the drag can stop/hold fish while allowing them a little give if they run.

So basically a reel is a line holder in a lake, and on a river has a use in playing the fish.

In terms of getting out, soccer fields/back yards are great ways to practice casting.  The issue with rivers for practice is a lack of back cast room and wind, while lakes it is getting out on the water in a boat, high enough up, and wind.  Focus on casting for now as mentioned before, as bad casting leads to wind knots and other problems.

Have Fun!

CW89

• Go Habs Go!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 10:58:30 PM »

To start out, I believe (I cant be sure) ill try targeting still water bows. A lot of those terms are foreign to me, but im sure I will pick up.

Furthermore, ive seen rods at different weights. I figure that has something to do with the size of fish that you are targeting. The smaller the fish, the smaller the weight?

EDIT* Those Orvis' look awesome for the price point!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 11:17:32 PM by CW89 »

whereismyfloat

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 07:43:35 AM »

The TFO rods are excellent value. They cast beautifully and the warranty (important) is excellent. I have a few higher end rods  for my main haunts but have various other rods to certain applications. I generally utilize TFO for those and love them.

rootbeer

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 08:40:38 AM »

Redington, Dragonfly, TFO, Scientific Anglers, Orvis and Amundson all make beginner/starter packages.  I got my start last year with a redington package.  I fish stillwater rainbow trout, I bought a redington 9' 5wt package that came with a rod tube, and rio floating line.  I have since bought cassettes for my reel to hold a sinking line and an intermediate line.  You should be able to find a package for around $200.  You can learn a lot from watching youtube videos on casting, but I would recommend taking a casting lesson at some point to help refine technique.  That is on my "to do" list as I seem to be getting "better", but developing different problems with each stage of progression.

CW89

• Go Habs Go!
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 08:49:55 AM »

Would someone mind giving me a breakdown of the importance of length of the rod and the amount of pieces it comes in?

I really appreciate all the info that is being shared as well.

bald_seagull

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 02:28:33 PM »

punch your questions into google and 100 different websites will be happy to teach you about your gear and how to use it

i used sexyloops.com to learn how a rod works and fly cast

i think the amount of pieces depends on how you want to travel, im sure the more pieces though affects the strength, action and weight a bit though too

i think the length is more depending on the area you are fishing, shorter rods are easier casted in smaller spaces.

I find it much easier using my 9ft rod over the 7'6" both 6wts, as i can use a shorter stroke and pick the line off the water much easier 

Animal Chin

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 03:41:51 PM »

I'm kinda in the same boat. I do the drive to SeaRun in Coquitlam and ask those guys all my questions. They'll set you straight. Michael and Young on Broadway or Pacific Angler down the street are likely equally as good. The times i've been in they're really helpful and patient with beginner questions, I've just more experience with searun and I like their rod layouts.

if you're going to spend money on a setup, don't be shy with the questions..if you don't jive with the sales persons go find someone you're comfortable with. I'm going to be fishing for a while and not moving anytime soon so may as well develop relationships.

I do shop at Berry's, and I like the guys, they are who they are, but I wouldn't go to them for fly fishing or any gear advice personally.

Wholesale and Army Navy are likely cheaper once you know exactly what you want or need, but not by a lot, and it'll be hit and miss with advice/questions.

CW89

• Go Habs Go!
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 04:01:01 PM »

My girlfriend lives in PoCo, so maybe a quick jaunt to Sea Run is in order. I'll gladly pay a little extra for personable serive. I just feel like I'm running blind here. So a visit to a shop should greatly help.

I think I am leaning towards a 9' 6 wt. ... I think.

tburns

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 04:44:42 PM »

I went to pacific angler last year and got set up by matt with a starter redington package and all the stuff I needed (sink tips, some flies etc.) to start salmon fishing.  Pop on by and have a chat with them.  They're all very passionate about fishing and will be more than willing to answer your questions

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 04:52:37 PM »

you should consider buying a salmon setup for the fall fishing as well as one for stillwater rainbows.

I have a great starter setup I will be putting up for sale shortly but your welcome to grab it before I do

rod used once, line used once, reel is brand new never used

Redington Pursuit 7100 (10' 7wt)
Echo Ion reel
Rio Versa tip with tips plus type 8 tip

$250 firm (retail is around $400)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

CW89

• Go Habs Go!
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 05:10:41 PM »

I went to pacific angler last year and got set up by matt with a starter redington package and all the stuff I needed (sink tips, some flies etc.) to start salmon fishing.  Pop on by and have a chat with them.  They're all very passionate about fishing and will be more than willing to answer your questions

Awesome. I enjoy hearing about all these stores with good customer service reputations. Will add it to the list of stores I have to visit.

you should consider buying a salmon setup for the fall fishing as well as one for stillwater rainbows.

I have a great starter setup I will be putting up for sale shortly but your welcome to grab it before I do

rod used once, line used once, reel is brand new never used

Redington Pursuit 7100 (10' 7wt)
Echo Ion reel
Rio Versa tip with tips plus type 8 tip

$250 firm (retail is around $400)

I will definitely keep that in mind and appreciate the offer. If I end up getting a setup as a gift, I may have to take you up on the offer. As of now I have $300 for a rod and most of my friends target trout. But, that may have to change.

Knife

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 05:29:37 PM »

A 6 weight is a good compromise for interior lakes. Enough backbone for larger fish and windy days, while not to heavy for smaller trout. Once you progress, you can buy rods that are more specific to different situations.
 If buying reasonable priced rod, 2 piece or 4 makes no difference except for ease of transport and storage. Some still believe
the action is better with a 2 piece. This was true decades ago, but rod manufacture is so good now I can't tell the difference.
 I have been flyfishing for decades and still go to SeaRun for advice. You can never know to much. If you can afford an hour lesson, it will give you a good start.