Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to start fly fishing  (Read 16468 times)

SkagitDreamer

Re: How to start fly fishing
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 05:34:58 PM »

Berry's helped with my first flyrod because, at the time, I did the steelhead/salmon thing and was in there all the time. Later, I visited M&Y in Surrey and, after window shopping a while, they hooked me up. Since then, they've been my store. Point is, I think the long-term relationship with the store of your choice is something that goes beyond price and is a good investment in itself. So it's important to go and see a few then decide where you like best based on inventory, staff, etc. Price isn't always everything; for me, it's the relationship, the vibe.
There is pleasure in the pathless woods

George Gordon Byron

Animal Chin

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 05:52:40 PM »

My girlfriend lives in PoCo, so maybe a quick jaunt to Sea Run is in order. I'll gladly pay a little extra for personable serive. I just feel like I'm running blind here. So a visit to a shop should greatly help.

I think I am leaning towards a 9' 6 wt. ... I think.

You'll dig the layout of the store. I talk to Ron for fly stuff and Andrew for everything else, but I think that's just by chance as the times I'm in there it's who was working. They're all super nice.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 09:48:25 PM »

Sea run and Michael and young are my two favourite stores.

Both because of their fly tying sections, they are sweet.

But they also give excellent advixe

CW89

• Go Habs Go!
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 12:15:03 AM »

I appreciate all the advice, I think I am going to hit Sea-Run on monday evening.
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 11:34:56 AM »

Don't rule out getting ALL your gear used.  Most guys look after their gear fairly well and in most cases you can buy 50 cents on the dollar.  You'd be surprised what $300 will get you. The nice thing is that you don't have to worry about warranty cards now so you don't have to ne an original owner.  Five decades of fly fisjing still water has told me that a 5 wt. rod is your best all around rod wt.  It will easily handle fish to 8 lbs. and you'll still feel the fight from a 1 1/2 lb fish. 

My preferred set up is a 10' 4 wt., followed by 5 wts.  That extra foot of rod makes landing fish easier.   I usually only fish trophy lakes and have never felt like I don't have enough stick to get the job done with either of those rod weights.  I would look for a reel that has interchangeable cassettes because you'll want a floating line, a clear intermediate line, and a heavier density sinking line.  At this stage of the game you'll likely be trolling your flies so your intermediate line will probably be your line of choice.  Once you start anchoring and casting, a floating line is often the "go to" line…..especially when fishing chironomids, a trout's main source of food during the ice off period.

Good quality lines will make your casting learning curve shorter.  Once again, lots of barely used lines on the classifieds of  fly fishing forums like FlyBC, Spey Pages (you'll see some single handers) and Washington Fly Fishing.  Once again, often half price!  I like Rio, but Scientific Angler lines are VERY good, as well.  Lining up by one or even two line weights in the early going will make casting easier because it will help you load the rod in order to cast until you can iron out casting errors.  Getting a lesson is a very good idea!

Get a decent, long handled catch and release landing net, as well, because it's so much better for the fish.  If you plan on fishing out of a float tube you'll have to go with a shorter one.

Good start up rods that will give you the best bang for your buck are TFO and Echo so look for those.  Once you've figure out what you're after and how much you have to spend post WTB ads on those web sites mentioned.  You'll be surprised by how many guys will respond in order to help you out.

One last thing.  Read as much as you can about fly fishing in the Pacific Northwest.  One of the best books out there, even though it was written more than 2 decades ago, is the Gilly.  Other very good authors who have written good books to check out are by Brian Chan and Phil Rowley.  Keep asking questions because there are no bad ones~

BTW, one rod, one reel, and a couple of lines usually turns into MANY more down the road!  Somehow they tend to multiply when stored in dark places.  LOL

CW89

• Go Habs Go!
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2014, 11:50:32 AM »

Don't rule out getting ALL your gear used.  Most guys look after their gear fairly well and in most cases you can buy 50 cents on the dollar.  You'd be surprised what $300 will get you. The nice thing is that you don't have to worry about warranty cards now so you don't have to ne an original owner.  Five decades of fly fisjing still water has told me that a 5 wt. rod is your best all around rod wt.  It will easily handle fish to 8 lbs. and you'll still feel the fight from a 1 1/2 lb fish. 

My preferred set up is a 10' 4 wt., followed by 5 wts.  That extra foot of rod makes landing fish easier.   I usually only fish trophy lakes and have never felt like I don't have enough stick to get the job done with either of those rod weights.  I would look for a reel that has interchangeable cassettes because you'll want a floating line, a clear intermediate line, and a heavier density sinking line.  At this stage of the game you'll likely be trolling your flies so your intermediate line will probably be your line of choice.  Once you start anchoring and casting, a floating line is often the "go to" line…..especially when fishing chironomids, a trout's main source of food during the ice off period.

Good quality lines will make your casting learning curve shorter.  Once again, lots of barely used lines on the classifieds of  fly fishing forums like FlyBC, Spey Pages (you'll see some single handers) and Washington Fly Fishing.  Once again, often half price!  I like Rio, but Scientific Angler lines are VERY good, as well.  Lining up by one or even two line weights in the early going will make casting easier because it will help you load the rod in order to cast until you can iron out casting errors.  Getting a lesson is a very good idea!

Get a decent, long handled catch and release landing net, as well, because it's so much better for the fish.  If you plan on fishing out of a float tube you'll have to go with a shorter one.

Good start up rods that will give you the best bang for your buck are TFO and Echo so look for those.  Once you've figure out what you're after and how much you have to spend post WTB ads on those web sites mentioned.  You'll be surprised by how many guys will respond in order to help you out.

One last thing.  Read as much as you can about fly fishing in the Pacific Northwest.  One of the best books out there, even though it was written more than 2 decades ago, is the Gilly.  Other very good authors who have written good books to check out are by Brian Chan and Phil Rowley.  Keep asking questions because there are no bad ones~

BTW, one rod, one reel, and a couple of lines usually turns into MANY more down the road!  Somehow they tend to multiply when stored in dark places.  LOL

Wow fantastic read. I appreciate the effort you took, I will have to take note of all that. Ive started looking up terms, "intermediate line," "cassettes" and the like. Thanks again for the response, exactly why I wanted to post here and not just google it all.
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

bald_seagull

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2014, 04:53:33 PM »

definitely agree that theres tons of quality used gear i got 3 setups this summer off the same guy 4 wt, 6wt, 8wt for 200, he was done with fishing as he was in his latter years.

Off topic question, why would you troll with your fly gear? wouldnt it be more efficient to use gear and tie a fly on? 

SkagitDreamer

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2014, 05:13:19 PM »

Off topic question, why would you troll with your fly gear? wouldnt it be more efficient to use gear and tie a fly on?

I think he meant trolling leeches/wooly buggers from a float tube/pontoon/boat - it's how I started and had great success.
There is pleasure in the pathless woods

George Gordon Byron

ajransom

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 11:55:16 AM »

A great resource that I would recommend is the "How to Fly Fish" website from orvis. Lots of great video lessons on a variety of fly fishing topics. Orvis also put out an awesome fly fishing podcast. Tom Rosenbauer does them and they really are educational and super interesting.

Brian Chan and Phil Rowley are two of the best Stillwater experts around, and their books and video clips are great.

I would start at some local lakes just after they are stoked. The rainbows are small but pretty easy to catch. A frustrating part of leaning fly fishing is getting skunked all the time (it's frustrating at any stage really). Check out gofishbc got stocking reports and locations.

Most importantly, enjoy the experience and being outdoors. Fly fishing is a lifelong passion and leaning experience. Good luck!

CW89

• Go Habs Go!
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2014, 08:16:11 PM »

Question: is there a massive jump in technology from say the TFO outfit to the Sage approach outfit. Would it be worth going with the higher quality Approach setup for a difference of $300.

TL:DR - would a rookie notice the $300 difference from the TFO to the Sage approach. Is it worth going high quality right away?

I've always been under the impression you get what you pay for.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 08:53:29 PM »

Hmmm Personally I believe the approach outfit is not a good deal.
For a break down, a Rio Gold WF line is $74.95, and the reel itself is 139.95.
So basically you save around $15 with the outfit price at $495.00. (plus the backing is free, originally forgot that)
However that being said you are getting a quality fly line, fly reel, and a good rod.

But shop around a little.  There is nothing wrong with buying used, or buying say a sage approach, a SA GPX line, and to round out say an Orvis/Redington reel etc...

As I have not casted either rod, I cannot give an idea behind differences in the outfit.  One thing I noticed on the sage website is the approach is made from there older graphite III.  Another graphite III rod, the RPL is sought after by many fly fishermen (IF someone sells one, they usually say they will regret it).

But that doesn't mean the approach will be that much better.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2014, 09:14:02 PM »

the Approach is Sage's lowest end model and I doubt you would notice the difference. I have cast a lot of fly rods over the years and its really more about the rods "action" than its price tag. I own a Sage Launch in a 4wt, great rod and a pleasure to cast and fight fish on. I would say the Launch is directly comparable to the Approach series that replaced it.

I wouldn't bother buying based on price. Buy what you can afford comfortably and upgrade over time if you feel the need to. TFO and Echo are both great rods for their price points and are designed by people that know their stuff
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

aquaholic

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2014, 05:16:50 AM »

For a first time setup for you, I would go with a TFO Rod, Not to expensive but gives you that life time warranty if something were to happen, Nothing worse then blowing a huge chunk of money then figuring out you dont like it.

ajransom

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2014, 09:09:27 PM »

Personally, I would prefer to buy three cheaper rods instead of one really high end rod.

Any fly rod over $150 is going to be a good rod. If you buy second hand (which is a great idea), for $150 you are going to get a rod that was $400 a few years ago.

For trout, you don't need to spend much at all on a reel. A good line is really what makes a big difference. You will rarely get a trout on the reel anyway. You can strip in almost any sized trout in the lower mainland. A trout reel only holds the line... If you get a reel for salmon or steelhead, that's another story.

There are plenty of good package deals out there. Many people spend a few hundred $$$ on a set up and then use it half a dozen times before deciding fly fishing isn't for them. You can pick up a gret deal if you look around.

For trout, a 9 foot 5 weight is perfect. Anything from: Redington, TFO, or echo would be a great start. If you look after it, a rod should last many many years, and so should a trout reel. Fly lines last a few seasons if fished heavily.

I personally wouldn't buy a sage, Scott, loomis etc, for a trout rod.

The package HOOK has is a great salmon and steelhead set up. A versi tip line system gives you pretty much every line you will need in one kit.

CW89

• Go Habs Go!
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2014, 09:30:19 PM »

Thanks for all the awesome replies. I knew it would be beneficial to ask around. I'm headed to Sea Run tomorrow to do some window shopping.