Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to start fly fishing  (Read 16481 times)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: How to start fly fishing
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2014, 05:42:09 PM »

just an fyi that my setup has been sold already  :D

gotta jump quick a lot of the time when it comes to good used gear especially when people know the person enough to know their stuff will be in near brand new condition
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2014, 06:46:54 PM »

Hook I would have snapped up that set had i been looking for another rod reel etc, great deal
don't think i could explain yet another rod and reel to my Wife :'(

I started off with a cheap set up, actually think i still have it
i now have many rods and reels as I realized I needed different ones for different situations
My Wife still doesn't understand why I need so many, i just tell her its like a set of golf clubs, different ones for different situations

I have learned that buying cheap is not the way to go, but also that I don't need top of the range
CW89 good luck with what you go for and maybe see you out on the water sometime
Fly fishing is addictive, before you know it you will be tying your own flies ;)

CW89

• Go Habs Go!
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2014, 09:36:02 PM »

Apart from outfit, waders and boots. What else would you consider vital to a new fly fisherman.

e.g. types of flies, vest... so on and so forth.
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

bald_seagull

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2014, 05:20:53 AM »

forceps, scissors, leaders and a pile of flies
its easiest to learn casting floating line before switching to sink tips or full sinking line
that doesnt mean you are stuck fishing drys at the start
just means your wet flies or nymphs wont be getting near the strike zone if you are fishing deeper faster water
or theres the option of practicing on a soccer field to master casting

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2014, 02:46:46 PM »

Apart from outfit, waders and boots. What else would you consider vital to a new fly fisherman.

e.g. types of flies, vest... so on and so forth.

You can't get everything at once. You need to pick the seasonal quarry and just target that to get you started. Coho are up later this month and thru October. If you're going to start there, pick up a decent 7 or 8wt with a multi tip line or a basic floater and have someone cut it back for you to allow different sink tips changes. If your reel comes with a spare spool then try find a clear intermediate sink line.

Flies, start with a few of each of weighted and no weight. I would start with black wooly buggers and some natural and olive muddler minnows, a few christmas trees and a few coho flies. Finish the Coho season like that. Once you start loosing flies to fish, trees, snags, poor casting whips losses and the occasional hooked neighbor or passer by, you will quickly realize that you will need to start tieing you own flies. My first weekend fishing started with Coho season and it was a killer year with limits of 4 every time out to the vedder that month. After the first weekend and about $70 in flies later, I bought a basic tieing kit and started that tieing my own that Monday.

You'll need some leader and tippet - don't need to get fancy. 6 or 8 # for Coho and 10+ for Spring and Chum.

Get a nail knot tool and practice a few knots to connect your tippet to the leader. Get a clipper or leader tag nipper with a eye cleaning needle. Don't need that but its handy. Pliers are needed to mash the barbs down and to remove solid or foul hooked fish.

Please wear eye protection and a hat, when learning to cast on the river your head and face will get in the way of a perfectly good cast at least once a day. Take some larger bandaids because your stripping finger is going to get cut thru the skin. You hands will get soft from the wet line and then the strip to set the hook will result in a deep cut in the crease of your finger joint.

Don't forget a knife and don't put your reel in the sand.

Bring a bag for your fish, a fishing license and a pen.

Ideally you can bring along an experienced and patient fly fisherperson with you to get you set up correctly and help you with fly and line selection, casting, mending (overall line management) and stripping.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2014, 07:52:40 PM »

Consider a lesson, Pacific does excellent courses.  If you know someone who fly fishes ask them.  There are also plenty of good youtube  instructional videos.

If you fish bigger rivers and are not a strong swimmer consider a fishing PFD.

Please always check the Regulations when fish, particularly if you are considering retention, and practice careful C&R techniques.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 07:54:13 PM by Knnn »

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2014, 07:54:18 PM »

Just modifying above advice.  Once your hands get wet from stripping retyng on flies can result in mono/flouro cuts.

They are worse then papercuts, so be careful.  Also if you hold the line to tightly on a strip etc. the fly line can friction burn.

But really that is minor.  And for me personal preference is to have forceps over pliers.  Being able to clamp them in tight can make hook removal easier, and less prone to slip.

Also they work as a depth indicator if you get into lake fishing with chironies.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2014, 10:32:44 PM »

Here is a decent how to video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxVvVoqFbIU

GL

« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 10:35:46 PM by Knnn »