Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sockeye fishermen  (Read 18066 times)

joc80

sockeye fishermen
« on: August 16, 2014, 08:36:21 PM »

Went out thursday.  Fishing sucked due to the native opening.  But it was still nice to get out and not be working lol

I just wanted to comment on a few things.

1)  the natives had thier opening. Big deal.  They were doing everything within the rules.  So when i saw them drifting thier net past grassy, is it really a big deal to bring in your line or wait to cast and just let them thru? Jesus.  I saw guys whipping thier betties at the boat swearing and threatening them.  The fish are moving. So whatever they scoop up, more will be there to replace those ones. 

2) the squatters with thier camps setup on the bars.  All i gotta say is you dont own it just because you have a tebt setup there.  No i dont have any interest in setting up where you and 15 of your buddies are fishing. But to run out of your tent yelling at us to get the hell out of here just because we slowed down for a minute to grab something out of the cooler kinda makes me want to fly into the bar and start casting   

I have been fishing since i was born.  I am in my mid-thirties now.  I have 3 kids of my own and i just want to see them enjoy fishing like i do. But sockeye fishing is really a disgusting display of greed.  First time i went sockeye fishing in 5 years. I think i will wait again until the fall when most of these "fishermen" hang up thier gear for the year. 

End of rant. I have a lot more choice words to use here. But they arent g rated. 

We did find a few bars with no one there and it was a somewhat enjoyable day.  Sure no fish, but when the numbers are really there i am sure therr would be a few hooked.   If and thats a big if, we go out again i know which little islands we will hit.  If we catch 3 to the other bars 10 you can be sure it was a much more relaxing and enjoyable day for us thab the 150 people packed on pegleg!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 08:39:08 PM by joc80 »

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: sockeye fishermen
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 09:28:14 PM »

Nothing new in that rant. If you have sufficient warning that sockeye fishing is a total gong show and you do it anyway you really can't complain.
Well, it is the internet so I guess you can complain. You just won't get any sympathy.

A recent immigrant that I work with asked where he can take his kids to go sockeye fishing.
I gave him the complete lowdown on how inappropriate that would be but he decided to go anyway.
Nothing more to say.

GordJ

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 10:08:21 PM »

Went out thursday.  Fishing sucked due to the native opening.  But it was still nice to get out and not be working lol

1)  the natives had thier opening. Big deal.  They were doing everything within the rules.  So when i saw them drifting thier net past grassy, is it really a big deal to bring in your line or wait to cast and just let them thru? Jesus.  I saw guys whipping thier betties at the boat swearing and threatening them.  The fish are moving. So whatever they scoop up, more will be there to replace those ones. 

2) the squatters with thier camps setup on the bars.  All i gotta say is you dont own it just because you have a tebt setup there.  No i dont have any interest in setting up where you and 15 of your buddies are fishing. But to run out of your tent yelling at us to get the hell out of here just because we slowed down for a minute to grab something out of the cooler kinda makes me want to fly into the bar and start casting   

I have been fishing since i was born.  I am in my mid-thirties now.  I have 3 kids of my own and i just want to see them enjoy fishing like i do. But sockeye fishing is really a disgusting display of greed.  First time i went sockeye fishing in 5 years. I think i will wait again until the fall when most of these "fishermen" hang up thier gear for the year. 

End of rant. I have a lot more choice words to use here. But they arent g rated. 

We did find a few bars with no one there and it was a somewhat enjoyable day.  Sure no fish, but when the numbers are really there i am sure therr would be a few hooked.   If and thats a big if, we go out again i know which little islands we will hit.  If we catch 3 to the other bars 10 you can be sure it was a much more relaxing and enjoyable day for us thab the 150 people packed on pegleg!
I was out during the native opening too and saw the same thing. I don't understand that the same people that rant about natives not working get mad when they go to work. It is frustrating early in the run and fishing is spotty but I guess that is what happens when their opening has priority.  I never ran into campers but I would enjoy that kind of confrontation.
It has been fun the last couple of outings.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 10:17:04 PM »

That is why I stopped fishing for sockeyes for years now.....

Its not worth the hassles...

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 11:39:59 AM »

I usually go fish a couple spots where fly fishing is effective. I did however camp out on Pegleg with my dad, my boys and a couple buddies. It was busy but not a total gong show until around 11am. We would have been done and gone if we hadn't had so many pop off near shore (stupid us for forgetting the net !) We were done by noon, packed up and took all our stuff out. Then my boys fished a little in the side channel for course fish using sockeye hearts and had a blast  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

n8

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 02:01:33 PM »

It's not that reeling in your line and waiting for them to go past is difficult. But do you have a good reason why they can't do their drifting at another part of the river where there arent 100 other guys on the beach? I don't think I have to spell it out. Then you wonder why lots of people hate them. It's not about what they're doing, it's where they do it. Ruining a bunch of other people's day just because you can deserves whatever the shore anglers think of them

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 03:21:29 PM »

It's not that reeling in your line and waiting for them to go past is difficult. But do you have a good reason why they can't do their drifting at another part of the river where there arent 100 other guys on the beach? I don't think I have to spell it out. Then you wonder why lots of people hate them. It's not about what they're doing, it's where they do it. Ruining a bunch of other people's day just because you can deserves whatever the shore anglers think of them

They have sections that they are allowed to fish and maybe that is a perfect drift slot ! Sit down have a drink let them pass and don't get your panties in a bunch.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 03:47:26 PM »

Their are many things I dont agree with when it comes to the native fishery but location is not one of them. Unlike us fishermen they own land right on the river and if that land is where they fish who the heck are we to tell them not to fish there. If they are drifting a section of the river where their are lots of anglers you gotta sit and wait. Tough luck.

I love how people who bottom bounce are always coming on here complaining of the crowds ( in which they are part of the problem ) the personal conduct of others, the garbage, the whole ownership of space etc etc. If it is really that bad than why participate? Isnt fishing ( which this is not ) supposed to be fun, relaxing and enjoyable? How is this enjoyable? Another thing I cant understand is how parents subject their children to this fishery. It makes me shake my head.

I dont care if you want to snag your fish for harvest but stop complaining as you do have a choice.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

jpar247

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 04:28:58 PM »

Let me guess #2 = Seabird Island...

I think they need to put in a reg like steelhead. After your limit for socks are achieved you must stop fishing. All these guys hit their 2 socks and just stay posted up hoping for a spring, cupcakes kicking the socks. If you want to fish just for springs, then you have roll the dice...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:31:00 PM by jpar247 »

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 11:09:38 PM »

The stop fishing reg would be a good one, why there are ideas for limit adjustments to better suit the overall survival.

I probably will not go out for sockeye for the rest of my life.

That will be a long, long time.  However when you can buy them commercially; close to home, avoid the mma full contact fishing, and actually enjoy your fishing somewhere else it is not only cheaper but way less stressful!

Drewhill

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 11:33:37 PM »

They have sections that they are allowed to fish and maybe that is a perfect drift slot ! Sit down have a drink let them pass and don't get your panties in a bunch.

So you really think out of all the sections they are allowed to fish the only drift slot is right in front of a bar of anglers?  :-\ I doubt that. We've seen them do it and taunt the anglers on the bar and that's when people start getting pissed off.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 07:59:24 AM »

Natives will fish.We will fish.If a few natives resort to poor behavior.Who cares?That is their problem.Just stay out of the way of the nets.There are plenty of fish for every-one.Confrontation on this issue can help no-one.
Riverman

SkagitDreamer

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 08:03:46 AM »

Well said, Riverman.
There is pleasure in the pathless woods

George Gordon Byron

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 10:27:14 AM »

So you really think out of all the sections they are allowed to fish the only drift slot is right in front of a bar of anglers?  :-\ I doubt that. We've seen them do it and taunt the anglers on the bar and that's when people start getting pissed off.

What many like you fail to understand is that Each First Nation band has specific section of the Fraser River where they are allowed to fish. The section is further divided within the band and each fisher has a designated section where he or she can fish, so they are not choosing to drift in front of you, but rather they have to drift where you have decided to fish.

And as Riverman said it very well, bad behaviours will always occur among the few in each user group. More often than not, those bad behaviours paint the wrong picture of the entire group. You will see a few native fishermen who choose to initiate a confrontation, you'll also see some recreational participants who seem to think they own the river.

And like what bbronswyk2000 said, it's not a fishery where I would bring a kid out to unless you can find a way to avoid any of the above scenarios. If you're going out there and expect others to behave badly, then you will find it. If you go out and treat others with respect then you will be treated the same in return.

http://www.fraserbasin.bc.ca/_Library/FVR/Communications_Backgrounder_Peacemakers_Fishing-Tips-2014.pdf

TNAngler

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 10:42:57 AM »

In general, yes, if you treat others with respect, you will be treated with respect too.  However, there are people that just suck at life.  They fall on both sides of the native/non-native divide.  Last year, when the nets were not supposed to be in, a guy drifted a net down right in front of grassy, picked up, went to the point above the bar and parked his boat and disappeared before any report would have done any good.  He is an example of a bad FN.  The non-native examples are very evident many days up there on grassy.  I would think long and hard before bringing my kid up to around that area.

The only way to be treated with respect by some of those that just suck at life is to avoid them all together which is sometimes hard to do.