Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sockeye fishermen  (Read 18062 times)

Drewhill

Re: sockeye fishermen
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 02:01:32 PM »

Here's the thing, this is basically their job so act professional out there. If it's their right to fish there, fine, but don't stir up crap while coming down. There's really no need for that even if they are being heckled from shore.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 02:06:50 PM by Drewhill »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 05:47:31 PM »

What many like you fail to understand is that Each First Nation band has specific section of the Fraser River where they are allowed to fish. The section is further divided within the band and each fisher has a designated section where he or she can fish, so they are not choosing to drift in front of you, but rather they have to drift where you have decided to fish.

And as Riverman said it very well, bad behaviours will always occur among the few in each user group. More often than not, those bad behaviours paint the wrong picture of the entire group. You will see a few native fishermen who choose to initiate a confrontation, you'll also see some recreational participants who seem to think they own the river.

And like what bbronswyk2000 said, it's not a fishery where I would bring a kid out to unless you can find a way to avoid any of the above scenarios. If you're going out there and expect others to behave badly, then you will find it. If you go out and treat others with respect then you will be treated the same in return.

http://www.fraserbasin.bc.ca/_Library/FVR/Communications_Backgrounder_Peacemakers_Fishing-Tips-2014.pdf
A terrible fishery to take children to, oh for the day when many of us very young children started fishing with a worm catching trout, the excitement of catching our first fish that of course bite, flossing, TOWing, snagging, harvesting, good for the economy, F/N gill nets, commercial fishing or what every you want to call it or justify it was never in our minds not that many years ago.

Many now have lost what fishing once was and should still be about. It is nothing about be an elitist it what sports and recreational fishing should be about, give the fish the choice to bite or not.

It is good to see many people that once took part in this activity will never pick up at Bouncing Betty again except to get the lead off the river bed. There will be lots of them along with miles of discarded line and garbage to deal with when the season ends 3 weeks or so from now.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 10:34:45 PM »

A terrible fishery to take children to, oh for the day when many of us very young children started fishing with a worm catching trout, the excitement of catching our first fish that of course bite, flossing, TOWing, snagging, harvesting, good for the economy, F/N gill nets, commercial fishing or what every you want to call it or justify it was never in our minds not that many years ago.

Many now have lost what fishing once was and should still be about. It is nothing about be an elitist it what sports and recreational fishing should be about, give the fish the choice to bite or not.

It is good to see many people that once took part in this activity will never pick up at Bouncing Betty again except to get the lead off the river bed. There will be lots of them along with miles of discarded line and garbage to deal with when the season ends 3 weeks or so from now.

Good post buddy. I agree so many people have a sense of entitlement. They are also USING their kids in this fishery as way to keep more fish. Its not about bringing their kids to the river to have a good time fishing, its about the parents using the kids for their benefit.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

BBarley

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 12:16:20 AM »

Here's what I don't understand about the sockeye fishery/madness that occurs down on the Fraser......

1. It isn't fun, I'd have to say its the least enjoyable fishing I've ever done. I and I'm sure most regulars on here would agree with me there and prefer spending all day with their centerpin chasing coho or cruising shoals searching for big hungry trout, rather than standing on the cobbles heaving bouncing betties and dangerously long leaders.

2. At most spots its a bonafide way to jack up your blood pressure.... not healthy! I don't go anywhere near the gong shows like Peg, Scale, Snaggy and yet when I find my somewhat secluded spot starts to fill up with homers, I have to leave before I do something I regret.

3. It's expensive, save me the "Oh I live in Chilliwack and Peg/Gill Rd are just a 5 minute drive....." I live in Chilliwack and I know if I weren't fishing the Vedder and other rivers year round, buying a year license and salmon tag, all the gear etc just for the sockeye opening would save me nothing over going and buying whole sockeye at Superstore.

As for complaining about the natives, go fly a kite. They have been netting the Fraser for faaaar longer than the recreational sockeye openings have been around..... So if you get bent out of shape when they happen to come by with a drift net, I suggest you take up the relaxing hobby of knitting.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 12:19:27 AM by BBarley »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2014, 04:56:31 AM »

Good post buddy. I agree so many people have a sense of entitlement. They are also USING their kids in this fishery as way to keep more fish. Its not about bringing their kids to the river to have a good time fishing, its about the parents using the kids for their benefit.
Thanks, stopped at the Jones Bar parking lot on the way back from the Thompson and the garbage left by those is disgusting, may try to organize a Fraser River cleanup like we did 4 years ago once the season closes which I believe is around the middle of the month.

We got alot of garbage off the river but we had only a few people turn out. The Fraser Valley Salmon Society would sponsor the cleanup.

GordJ

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2014, 06:49:29 PM »

Yeah you would be a way better parent to leave your kid at home to play video games than go out fishing. I don't know why anyone would take their kids fishing anyway, they might get sunburnt or hear someone swear. They should keep kids at home or if they have to fish they should only be allowed to fish in less then waist deep water, with a PFD of course, and only use dry flies. They should never be allowed to be part of the thousands of people who think they had fun on the river on Saturday.

BBarley

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 08:48:55 PM »

Yeah you would be a way better parent to leave your kid at home to play video games than go out fishing. I don't know why anyone would take their kids fishing anyway, they might get sunburnt or hear someone swear. They should keep kids at home or if they have to fish they should only be allowed to fish in less then waist deep water, with a PFD of course, and only use dry flies. They should never be allowed to be part of the thousands of people who think they had fun on the river on Saturday.

If your kid was out having a blast today with the sockeye, or any day for that matter, kudos for taking him out. I've seen many a kid out on the river having fun with their parents, an in no way is that wrong. If you are one of those "parents" who tows their kid along because it means the difference between 2 and 4 sockeye and litters the bar with all kinds of garbage, good riddance you only appear every 4 years.

Seems lately to be waaay too many condescending people condemning those the go out and partake in the harvest, and equally the same amount of quadrennial goobers who feel they have been labelled as a selfish slob.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 08:50:38 PM by BBarley »

lovetofish

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2014, 09:08:34 PM »

Amen to that!
All of our kids have come to the river with us over the years and they have had fun. We took our 3 1/2 year old grand daughter out last week and she had an absolute blast catching Squawfish with her aunt. " When can we go again Grammy?"   And everybody on the bar enjoyed her squeals of excitement about catching her first fish by herself.  She is too small to reel in a sockeye of course and she was not there to increase our limit. But the smiles seen on our kids faces over the years when they get to fight a big fish (when compared to most trout) is awesome.  In fact this year two of our daughters got their fishing licence for the first time so they could come along and fish . One of them already has 2 Chinook on her licence.  The more fun things we can do as a family, the better I like it. 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2014, 10:32:00 PM »

Here's what I don't understand about the sockeye fishery/madness that occurs down on the Fraser......

1. It isn't fun, I'd have to say its the least enjoyable fishing I've ever done. I and I'm sure most regulars on here would agree with me there and prefer spending all day with their centerpin chasing coho or cruising shoals searching for big hungry trout, rather than standing on the cobbles heaving bouncing betties and dangerously long leaders.

2. At most spots its a bonafide way to jack up your blood pressure.... not healthy! I don't go anywhere near the gong shows like Peg, Scale, Snaggy and yet when I find my somewhat secluded spot starts to fill up with homers, I have to leave before I do something I regret.

3. It's expensive, save me the "Oh I live in Chilliwack and Peg/Gill Rd are just a 5 minute drive....." I live in Chilliwack and I know if I weren't fishing the Vedder and other rivers year round, buying a year license and salmon tag, all the gear etc just for the sockeye opening would save me nothing over going and buying whole sockeye at Superstore.

As for complaining about the natives, go fly a kite. They have been netting the Fraser for faaaar longer than the recreational sockeye openings have been around..... So if you get bent out of shape when they happen to come by with a drift net, I suggest you take up the relaxing hobby of knitting.
I have some video of Peg that I filmed tonight if you forget what it looks like, they were having a good time and the garbage was not too bad and some people were picking up line etc. good on them. Saw no fish caught when there and a number were fighting some snags. saw some sockeye that had been taken earlier and one chinook.
We should have a bin out there for people to put their garbage in but a ways to pack one out there as cannot drive to it. May take something out there tomorrow along with some bags.

BBarley

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2014, 10:51:24 PM »

That's ok, I stopped in at Peg this afternoon for a browse and left pretty quick. Not my cup of tea down there.....

A garbage bin/bags sounds like a great idea as long as there are those willing to empty it out daily. I personally thought a great idea would be to have a dumpster somewhere down McSween Rd, but who would pay for it and how often would it get emptied.... not to mention all the fine folk that would see it as a great spot to leave household garbage......

Truly sad that there are some people out there with absolutely no respect for public areas that we all share. I think next time I head to my spot I will bring a couple heavy duty garbage bags and hang them at convenient locations.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2014, 03:17:00 AM »

That's ok, I stopped in at Peg this afternoon for a browse and left pretty quick. Not my cup of tea down there.....

A garbage bin/bags sounds like a great idea as long as there are those willing to empty it out daily. I personally thought a great idea would be to have a dumpster somewhere down McSween Rd, but who would pay for it and how often would it get emptied.... not to mention all the fine folk that would see it as a great spot to leave household garbage......

Truly sad that there are some people out there with absolutely no respect for public areas that we all share. I think next time I head to my spot I will bring a couple heavy duty garbage bags and hang them at convenient locations.
Yes this happens on Chilliwack Lake Road as most of the garbage is put in the bins by residents. Most have now been removed for that reason.
I put bags along the Vedder in a few spots the last few but the main thing is as you mention is to take the time to service them regularly. Dave A. and another member of this forum have been good to donate some large and heavy duty ones to use the last while.

I will put a tub of some sort at Peg later today and do a bit of a cleanup as well. It sets an example for others to do the same. I have done this at KWB on the gravel bar but some people dump fish guts in it as well as garbage so that makes it unpleasant.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2014, 10:07:05 AM »

Here is how it looked yesterday evening for those that may not have been there. Unedited.   ;D ;D
http://youtu.be/FCnPSoOgVpo

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2014, 11:33:59 AM »

My son is 26 now but I did take him to fish sockeye on the Fraser when he was around 11 or 12... because he asked to go. It was overall a good experience best I recall. He did decide he didn't like it all that much compared to lake fishing in the interior -  mostly because it seemed like hard work and the weather was too hot.

As far as getting lead out of the river Mr Gadsen - if it's that bad how about you start supporting the banning of lead as a fishing weight in BC and maybe the use of external weights on a river like the Chilliwack which relative to water volume must get a lot more lead left on the bottom than any other river in BC?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Burbot

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2014, 12:07:32 PM »

Lead was banned from Shotgun shells years ago and maybe it makes sense to do the same for weights?

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2014, 02:38:58 PM »

Because ducks can't swallow 3oz betties.
Unless you are ingesting lead it is benign.