Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sockeye fishermen  (Read 18068 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: sockeye fishermen
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2014, 10:45:12 PM »

Yes this happens on Chilliwack Lake Road as most of the garbage is put in the bins by residents. Most have now been removed for that reason.
I put bags along the Vedder in a few spots the last few but the main thing is as you mention is to take the time to service them regularly. Dave A. and another member of this forum have been good to donate some large and heavy duty ones to use the last while.

I will put a tub of some sort at Peg later today and do a bit of a cleanup as well. It sets an example for others to do the same. I have done this at KWB on the gravel bar but some people dump fish guts in it as well as garbage so that makes it unpleasant.
Placed 2 bins at Peg tonight and cleand up some garbage. Good to see another chap cleaning up too, a resident you comes there everyday to do a cleanup. May visit the bar by boat this week as a bit far to pack out all I picked up tonight. Pictures on the FVSS facebook page.https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fraser-Valley-Salmon-Society/111769675563789

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2014, 11:33:53 AM »

The Chilliwack Times is doing a story on this topic in tomorrow's paper they phoned me for some comments but missed there call yesterday as was away fishing for cutt's which most likely a good thing. ;D

Apparently the reporter spoke to another person who had concerns what this activity is doing to the recreational fishery.
Will post the story when it comes up.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2014, 10:54:59 PM »

I talked to the reporter and as it was past deadline he would not be using my thoughts on the story but I see he did.
http://www.chilliwacktimes.com/news/272929031.html

G-Ratt

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2014, 06:13:51 PM »

Sorry for being off topic, but Chris where were you off fishing for cuttys?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2014, 08:58:36 PM »

Sorry for being off topic, but Chris where were you off fishing for cuttys?
At the mouth of any river with clear water conditions are worth a try but they are difficult to find at this time of year.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2014, 09:05:50 PM »

My son is 26 now but I did take him to fish sockeye on the Fraser when he was around 11 or 12... because he asked to go. It was overall a good experience best I recall. He did decide he didn't like it all that much compared to lake fishing in the interior -  mostly because it seemed like hard work and the weather was too hot.

As far as getting lead out of the river Mr Gadsen - if it's that bad how about you start supporting the banning of lead as a fishing weight in BC and maybe the use of external weights on a river like the Chilliwack which relative to water volume must get a lot more lead left on the bottom than any other river in BC?
As I say to many that suggest ideas like you have and it does have some merit it is a good thing for you to start organzing a group and start a lobby group to see if you can get some support to meet with those that make regulation changes.

At this time I have 7 different volunteer groups that I am involved in. To do a good job one cannot spread yourself too thin. Good luck in getting this going and please keep us informed how it goes. Thanks for suggesting this to the readers of this forum.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2014, 08:29:44 PM »

Lead was banned from Shotgun shells years ago and maybe it makes sense to do the same for weights?

Not really.  There is lots of lead in shotgun shells. You just aren't permitted to use lead shot in shotgun shells when hunting migratory waterfowl because the lead shot settles in shallow bodies of water and is ingested by feeding waterfowl. In most cases you can use lead shot for upland game birds.

As typhoon said, lead in the Fraser isn't a huge risk as waterfowl aren't likely to ingest a 3 oz betty from the bottom of a large, swiftly moving, river.