Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: 2014 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 129202 times)

GordJ

Re: 2014 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2014, 02:25:33 PM »

Come Wednesday I flee to the Thompson River to get away from the mayhem, some will say good, one less person on the river.
Some may say good but most won't care.
The Leaf Craft gets very upset seeing what goes on during this activity and goes into dry dock but she is trying to talk me into float fishing for them in the Harrison like we did a few years ago, we used ghost scrimp and did well on the ones that took a liking to our offering.
sounds like fun

I also dread all the garbage that will be left behind like happened 4 years ago when a few of us went out there after it ended to clean it up the miles and miles of line. We had only a handful taking part, maybe  the FVSS will organize it again this year or maybe those that are responsible people and floss will take a bag and try to set an example of what everyone should be doing.
I don't understand how garbage is a sockeye issue. As someone who has participated with his kids and grandkids in the Vedder cleanup I don't see how, except for numbers, how flossers are any different from steelheaders.

PS will the first fight be recorded on opening day?  :-X :-[ ::) :o :(
See above, fights are fights and I have seen just as many,per capita, on the Vedder as the Fraser.

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2014, 03:01:22 PM »

I've seen fights on both vedder and fraser.   Although, fights on the vedder are usually result of fish related activity.  fights on the fraser are usually because of a 4 oz weight going through someones windshield or "stealing" someones spot

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #92 on: August 04, 2014, 03:57:02 PM »

Did someone mention combat fishing ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-ca0Oq3IMQ

TheFishingLad

« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2014, 04:00:38 PM »

Let the games begin
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 04:04:32 PM by TheFishingLad »

Trophy Tackle

• Trophy Tackle
« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2014, 04:14:12 PM »

Once the numbers of fish passing through pick up, it is not impossible to actually SPORT fish sockeye in the lower Fraser.  During the last large run I was able to entice two fish to bite and lose another to a seal in a few hours of effort.  That was with inferior lures and a lot less knowledge and experience than possessed now.  I'll be out there in the coming weeks to try my luck.  In my opinion, the water clarity is currently better in the Richmond,Delta,South Vancouver area than in the Chilliwack/Hope....particularly on the big flood tide.   Coincidentally, this is when I've noticed the largest pushes of fish. 

Heres a look at some prototypes.  The UV hoochies have already proven deadly for Chinooks during testing over the weekend.

TheFishingLad

« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2014, 04:28:52 PM »

You going to be casting those units?

Once the numbers of fish passing through pick up, it is not impossible to actually SPORT fish sockeye in the lower Fraser.  During the last large run I was able to entice two fish to bite and lose another to a seal in a few hours of effort.  That was with inferior lures and a lot less knowledge and experience than possessed now.  I'll be out there in the coming weeks to try my luck.  In my opinion, the water clarity is currently better in the Richmond,Delta,South Vancouver area than in the Chilliwack/Hope....particularly on the big flood tide.   Coincidentally, this is when I've noticed the largest pushes of fish. 

Heres a look at some prototypes.  The UV hoochies have already proven deadly for Chinooks during testing over the weekend.

Trophy Tackle

• Trophy Tackle
« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2014, 06:12:45 PM »

Yes, casting and retrieving in attempt to imitate the already proven flasher w/ hoochie trolling technique. 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2014, 06:30:52 PM »

Also many do not consider the bouncing has affected our early openings for chinooks, at one time it was May 1. It is not the only reason but one of them. It is good to see a higher percentage of people now bar fishing for chinooks than in the past when sockeye are not open., thanks to all that are doing so until the sockeye open on the 6th.

I wonder how the toxic spill that happened today into the Quensel River that will enter the Fraser will effect the salmon runs especially the sockeye that spawn there, sad that this happened. I heard on the news fish are dying now, will it kill millions of our sockeye and chinook?

Should have posted this here. http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=36123.0

Moved.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 06:34:18 PM by chris gadsden »

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2014, 06:58:26 PM »

WoW FA, that is one crazy video, just crazy. That one guy was really throwing them, too funny  ;D ;D ;D

I did a search on google for fighting on the river while fishing and an FWR thread popped up, actually more than one. But the one I read occurred on the Vedder with four guys going at it in a real heyday.  There were other sites and threads as well that talked of such foolishness happening. My belief is that where ever people get together to fish you then have the human element going on. By that I mean you really don't know anything about Joe Joe fishing down from you and it may not take much to set him or her off.

For the most part in my 50 plus years of fishing I have never seen a fight nor been in one, thank God. I have heard shouting and words being tossed back and forth in verbal altercations and have even gotten mouthy myself at times but it has never went beyond that. But as your video shows fighting can and does happen on the water and I don't think anyone can say it only happens with a particular group. Whether its fly fisherman, steelhead stalkers, bber's or ice fishermen when the human element is present one really never knows who, what or if anything will set off Joe Joe that day.

All I can say is, Thank God it doesn't happen much. I fish to relax, laugh and enjoy life as well as the other 99.9 % of the people. Nobody needs that nonesense.  Thanks for sharing the video FA, twas, incredible.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #99 on: August 05, 2014, 11:50:39 AM »

Thanks FA for sharing this. It points out the fact the it doesn't matter what form of fishing and how much space between fishermen. If a fight breaks out, it is just how these fishermen approach their conflicts. It can happen to these well dressed and well equipped fly guys in a relatively well spaced river too. I am actually surprised that there haven't been that much problem in the sockeye bars I have fished all these years considering crowding has been the norm there. I have fished Scale, Snaggy, Laidlaw, Seabird, Peg Leg and many smaller bars. Yet I have never myself witnessed an actual physical fight. I guess people want to have a good time. People should never forget they just want to get out and have a fun-filled day. Keep it at that and resolve any conflict peacefully and you will have a great day with yummy fish for dinner. By being nice to each other, and when you have a bad fishing day fish-wise, the guys around may just pass you the rod on fish they don't want to keep so you won't return home skunked. So it pays to be nice to each other  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 11:55:01 AM by liketofish »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #100 on: August 05, 2014, 02:58:20 PM »

The Fraser River Panel met on Tuesday, August 5, 2014 to receive an update on
the migration of the Fraser sockeye runs and review the status of migration
conditions in the Fraser River watershed.   

The migration of sockeye through marine and lower Fraser River assessment areas
and past the Mission hydroacoustic site has increased over the past week.
Catches in the Area 12 and 13 seine test fisheries have remained above average
for this period, while Area 20 seine and gillnet test fisheries in marine areas
continue to be lower than average and expected. In river test fisheries have
shown increased catches in recent days.

Recent stock identification analyses from the Area 12 purse seine test fishery
indicated Fraser sockeye contributions of approximately 23% Early Summer-run,
58% Summer-run sockeye, and 19% Late-run. In the Fraser River, the proportions
of each stock in the most recent samples are 4% Early Stuart, 48% Early
Summers, 46% Summers and 2% Late Run.

The estimated upriver migration of sockeye past Mission through July 31st is
848,700 fish in total of which 231,100 are estimated to be Early Stuart
sockeye, 290,600 Early Summer run, 313,100 Summer run and 13,900 Late Run.

River discharge levels have decreased over the past week to a level of 3,642
cms on August 4, which is 16 percent below the historical average discharge for
this date (4,324 cms).  Water temperature at Qualark is 19.8 degrees Celsius,
which is 2.2 degrees Celsius above the average temperature for this date.  No
forecast was available for today's meeting, however water temperatures are
expected to increase in the coming days and discharge levels are expected to
remain below average.

At today's meeting, the Fraser River Panel made no changes to the adopted run
size or management adjustments for any of the run timing groups.  Management
adjustments are additional fish that are allowed to escape upstream to help
achieve spawning escapement targets for Fraser River sockeye.

FSC fisheries targeting Early Summer and Summer run sockeye are ongoing or
being planned.  Fishers are requested to check updated times and restrictions
for their local area.

The commercial fisheries for Area D gillnet, Area B seine and Area H troll are
being planned to start Wednesday August 6. Details for these fisheries will be
posted in a separate fishery notices. 

The earliest possible fisheries for Area E gillnet and Area G troll will be
early next week with final decisions on fishing plans to be confirmed following
the next Fraser Panel meeting on Friday, August 8.

First Nation economic opportunity fisheries in the Lower Fraser River are also
under consideration.

Retention of sockeye in Marine and Lower Fraser River recreational fisheries
continue.  Refer to fishery notices FN0720 and FN0721 for details.

The next in-season meeting of the Panel is scheduled to occur on Friday, August
8, 2014.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Jennifer Nener 604-666-6478
Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0749
Sent August 5, 2014 at 1447

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=161952&ID=all

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #101 on: August 06, 2014, 12:12:44 PM »

Yes, casting and retrieving in attempt to imitate the already proven flasher w/ hoochie trolling technique.

Those lures are looking good. Good luck out there because it would be great to see someone crack the code for catching sockeye via spincasting in the lower Fraser.

In comparing the trolling w/ dodger/hoochie vs casting a hoochie/spoon combo what are your thoughts about not having the extra flash the dodger provides as well as the erratic motion? Given the relatively poor visibility of the Fraser it would be fair to expect a lot more casting would be required to get into fish simply because your casting rig just doesn’t have the flashiness of the trolling setup. However if the specific motion imparted by the dodger is critical in getting the sockeye to hit, then a plain spinner or spoon could be at a real disadvantage because it just doesn’t have the right motion? Maybe the ‘wobbliest’ spoon out there (no idea what that would be) might be the most effective as it could give the most motion…

Second, any comment about the travelling lanes in the Fraser? Obviously pinks are easily caught spincasting throughout the lower Fraser because they often travel close to shore, sometimes even within a rods length. My impression was that sockeye simply just don’t travel that close so it’s a real challenge to even find any fish within casting range.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #102 on: August 06, 2014, 02:26:48 PM »

Good points.  From what I have seen on the chuck, they really like a LOT of flash, relatively slow troll and erratic action.  Hard to get that when casting from shore and you need heavy lures to get it out there and they will inherently sink more quickly.  But who knows...

I'm going to be giving it a real shot over the next month or so.  I'm heading out tomorrow on a bit of an exploratory mission.  I will be more trying to find travelling lanes and scoping out good areas for when the big push comes in.  My friend was out mid river exploring and spoke with some natives and commercial guys who showed him some lanes and said to fish 'here' when the nets are gone.  So thats a start.

If the current is strong enough i'm going to try letting out line with a full on flasher and squirt set up and just let it dart around with a banana weight while anchored or back trolling.  I might even run some dummy flashers clipped on to the back of my boat, lol.  If the tide is coming in, i'm going to troll around if I can find a lane where the fish might be, and s-pattern through it in different directions. 

I'm pautzke curing some shrimp to tip the squirts with and will give that a shot.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #103 on: August 08, 2014, 02:39:44 PM »

Friday, August 8, 2014

The Fraser River Panel met Friday, August 8 to receive an update on the migration of Fraser sockeye and review the status of migration conditions in the Fraser River watershed.

Assessments of Early Summer-run sockeye abundance are ongoing and run-size estimates should be available next week after their peak migration through marine areas. The Early Summer-run is currently tracking near the p25 pre-season forecast level of 1,741,000 fish. Assessments of Summer-run sockeye abundance are beginning. The Summer-run is currently tracking near the median (p50) pre-season forecast level of 5,699,000 fish. Test fishing catches in Johnstone Strait continue to indicate that approximately 80% of the Fraser sockeye migration is currently passing through Johnstone Strait.

On August 7, the Fraser River water discharge at Hope was approximately 3,425 cms, which is approximately 17% lower than average for this date. The temperature of the Fraser River at Qualark Creek on August 7 was 20.0C, which is 2.2C higher than average for this date. Fraser River water temperatures at Qualark Creek are forecast to be approximately 19.4C by August 13. Sustained water temperatures in this range can cause severe stress to migrating sockeye and may lead to significant en route mortality. Migration conditions for Fraser sockeye will be monitored closely over the next several weeks and appropriate management actions will be taken.

CANADIAN FRASER RIVER PANEL AREA WATERS:

Area 18-1, 18-4, and 18-11 and Area 29-1 to 6: As previously announced, open to Area H troll ITQ fishery from 12:01 a.m. Wednesday August 6, 2014 until further notice. (Please refer to DFO Fishery Notices for further details).

Area 29: Portions of 29- 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11 to 17: Open to Area E gillnets from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., Monday, August 11, 2014. (Please refer to DFO Fishery Notices for further details).

UNITED STATES FRASER RIVER PANEL AREA WATERS:

TREATY FISHERY:

Areas 4B, 5 and 6C: As previously announced, open for drift gillnets 12:00 p.m. (noon), Wednesday, August 6, 2014, to 12:00 p.m. (noon) Saturday, August 9, 2014.

Areas 4B, 5 and 6C: Extended for drift gillnets 12:00 p.m. (noon), Saturday, August 9, 2014, to 12:00 p.m. (noon) Wednesday, August 13, 2014.

Areas 6, 7 and 7A: As previously announced, open for net fishing from 5:00 a.m. Thursday, August 7, 2014 through 9:00 a.m. Saturday, August 9, 2014.

Areas 6, 7 and 7A: Open for net fishing from 5:00 a.m. Sunday, August 10, 2014 through 9:00 a.m. Tuesday, August 12, 2014.

ALL CITIZEN FISHERY:

Area 7 and 7A: As previously announced, open to purse seines from 5:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Saturday, August 9, 2014.

Area 7 and 7A: Open to purse seines from 5:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Tuesday, August 12, 2014.

Area 7 and 7A: As previously announced, open to gillnets from 8:00 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. (midnight) Saturday, August 9, 2014.

Area 7 and 7A: Open to gillnets from 8:00 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. (midnight) Tuesday, August 12, 2014.

Area 7 and 7A: As previously announced, open to reefnets from 5:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Sunday, August 10, 2014.

Area 7 and 7A: Open to reefnets from 5:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday, August 11, 2014.

(Note: U. S. Non-Treaty fishers should check the U.S. hotline and WDFW regulations before fishing as there are additional State of Washington regulations, including time restrictions that may be in effect).

The next in-season meeting of the Panel is scheduled to occur on Tuesday, August 12, 2014.

http://www.psc.org/NewsRel/2014/Announcement11.pdf

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #104 on: August 08, 2014, 04:33:57 PM »

The Fraser River Panel met on Friday, August 8, 2014 to receive an update on
the migration of the Fraser sockeye runs and review the status of migration
conditions in the Fraser River watershed.   

The migration of sockeye through marine and lower Fraser River assessment areas
and past the Mission hydroacoustic site has increased over the past week.
Catches in the Area 12 and 13 seine test fisheries have remained above average
for this period, while Area 20 seine and gillnet test fisheries continue to be
lower than average and lower than expected. In river test fisheries have been
variable in recent days.

Recent stock identification analyses from the Area 12 purse seine test fishery
indicated Fraser sockeye contributions of approximately 16% Early Summer-run,
68% Summer-run sockeye, and 16% Late-run. In the Fraser River, the proportions
of each stock in the most recent samples are 32% Early Summers, 54% Summers and
14% Late Run.

The estimated upriver migration of sockeye past Mission through August 7thst is
1,215,200 fish in total of which 227,900 are estimated to be Early Stuart
sockeye, 428,400 Early Summer run, 514,700 Summer run and 44,200 Late Run.

River discharge levels have decreased over the past week to a level of 3,425
cms on August 7th, which is 17 percent below the historical average discharge
for this date (4,122 cms).  Water temperature at Qualark is 20.0 degrees
Celsius, which is 2.2 degrees Celsius above the average temperature for this
date.  Water temperatures are forecast to decrease slightly in the coming days
and discharge levels are expected to remain below average.

At today's meeting, the Fraser River Panel made no changes to the adopted run
size or management adjustments for any of the run timing groups.  Management
adjustments are additional fish that are allowed to escape upstream to help
achieve spawning escapement targets for Fraser River sockeye.

First Nations FSC fisheries targeting Fraser sockeye are ongoing or being
planned.  Fishers are requested to check updated times and restrictions for
their local area.

Area B seine and Area H troll commercial sockeye ITQ fisheries remain open
until further notice subject to available quota. At this time the individual
vessel quota (ITQ) remains unchanged for Area B and Area H.  Refer to fishery
notices FN0751 and FN0752 for details.

An Area D gillnet fishery is planned to begin Saturday, August 9.  An Area E
gillnet fishery is being planned for Monday, August 11. Details for these
fisheries will be posted in a separate fishery notices. 

The earliest possible fishery for Area G troll will be Thursday, August 14 with
decisions on fishing plans to be confirmed following the next Fraser Panel
meeting on Tuesday, August 12.

First Nation economic opportunity fisheries in the Lower Fraser River are under
consideration with fisheries possible over the weekend.

Retention of sockeye in Marine and Lower Fraser River recreational fisheries
continue.  Refer to fishery notices FN0720 and FN0721 for details.

The next in-season meeting of the Panel is scheduled to occur on Tuesday,
August 12, 2014.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Jennifer Nener 604-666-6478

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0778
Sent August 8, 2014 at 1621

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=162246&ID=all
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15